Go Betweens "G Stands For Go Betweens" Volume 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lot49, Oct 1, 2018.

1. wellhamsrus

wellhamsrus Surrender to the sound

Domino doesn't benefit from the second hand market. If Domino sold more copies in the first place (increased supply) they would have more money, at the risk (as you note) of misjudging the demand, leaving them with unsold copies. They have to decide how many copies they should supply at a particular price point while maximising their profit. My argument is that they did misjudge demand, leading to inflated prices on the second hand market.

Secondly, some people buy limited editions because they are limited: supply does not change, but demand does, and inflated demand leads to inflated prices.

This isn't really relevant anyway: I was just responding to your comment. So I'll just note that I saw the Go-Betweens every time I could from 1981 or 1982 onwards, especially during the golden years with the very talented Amanda Brown, and even (begrudgingly) during their subsequent reformation. I like them still. I think more people should be able to hear these albums than the limited number available.

Imagine70 likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

They did a one time repress of the first box to meet the demand. Which is perfect for this kind of item because the label is honouring the "limited edition" part. Instead of randomly pressing up more and more copies.

Considering the "inflated prices" bit: At the moment there's not a single copy of the first box for sale on Discogs. And more people "have" than "want" it. So apparently Domino have done everything right. That people are willing to pay more for an oop item is only natural. And as long as there aren't "16 copies for sale starting from $600" I wouldn't call the price people are paying "inflated".

3. Auska_Lo

Auska_Lo Well-Known Member

Yesterday I received the boxset and while it is a great package I am a "little" underwhelmed I didn't get a book, even though I pre-ordered the same afternoon it was available, only a couple of hours after the link was online.

As for Walt said on a previous post, I bought the first volume when it was released (first pressing - and that time I was lucky to get the book) but I was stupid enough not to use the code; I thought it was only mp3s and had the cd reissues already...
    A couple of months ago I discovered this thread, tried the code and I only got the 16 tracks -wav files- he mentions, so it's not that the first and second pressing codes are different, maybe the rights to all the hd files expired after a period of time, or maybe the full boxset downloads were limited to a certain number... and those 16 songs are the ones available now. I'm not taking any chances with this 2nd boxset, and I'm downloading the wav files right now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    OptimisticGoat and Walt like this.
  4. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Robert may have made a comment to LOMAX so they contacted Jon Astley. People in the music business don't always have keen ears; they're focused on production, distribution, promotion and sales. I remember at the time, LOMAX seemed to be caught off-guard by the reaction [in some quarters] to the mastering. They did respond by repressing discs with a slightly-lower output level, which they'd exchange. I wonder how many people did so... I did.

Somehow, I don't picture Robert Forster or Grant McLennan having audiophile systems in their homes. They may have read that radio stations avoid weak-sounding CDs and they wanted to make sure that Oceans Apart had PUNCH!

I also remember reading a dismissive comment from Jon Astley about The Go-Betweens, as if anybody could give a $h!t about how their CD was mastered. What a tool.

This was long ago and I have no idea how to find the published sources to back-up my recollections.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  5. Mezzer

Mezzer Forum Resident

6. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Neonbeam, Mr. D and Electric Sydney like this.
  7. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Oh wow, me too. I'm all over that thread. That was a fun message board.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Neonbeam likes this.
  8. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I just recieved my box..... book included signed G. McClennen-'78!!!so excited....beautiful design!!!

9. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

What’s the book?

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  10. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sorry....I meant to list that.....it's "AT PLAY IN THE FIELD'S OF THE LORD" by PETER MATTHIESSEN.....I'm not familiar but I will certainly be reading/treasuring this book!

jonnyhambone and Electric Sydney like this.
  11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Excellent — it's my favorite Matthiessen novel.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  12. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

...me too.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  13. Sebastian saglimbenI

I'm looking forward to reading it certainly.I am more of a non-fiction fan.....music related titles.. .but this will be a fun read.

14. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

re: Volume 3. I was introduced to the Go-Betweens with The Friends of Rachel Worth... that's what hooked me. I enjoy those 3 reunion LPs almost as much as anything they did in their prime. I understand why some earlier fans might feel different. But I'd love a Volume 3 (and yes, I hope it includes a more sonically palatable Oceans Apart... and an expanded That Striped Sunlight Sound !)

15. Sebastian saglimbenI

A 3RD. VOLUME would be great.....oddly I was not as and still not as excited by their first 3 albums having first heard "16 LOVER'S LANE"....which will FOREVER be in my TOP TEN albums of all time by anyone!I have all of the c.d. versions of all of their albums... BEGGARS BANQUET & JETSET.THE reunion albums are great too except I missed MISS AMANDA BROWN. Wow she's gorgeous with an angelic voice!

Electric Sydney likes this.
  16. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I hope everyone is enjoying their Box Set No.2. I'm still waiting for mine, I ordered as soon as Domino listed the box set.
    I've contacted Domino they say they've sent it and the courier says the package has been booked but they've yet to receive it from Domino. What a load of b@ll@cks, if I don't get absolute confirmation from Domino later today I'm gonna save myself £25 and order from Amazon.

17. evkatz

evkatz Forum Resident

Just received, and starting to listen. Live album sounds great. Still judging any remastering that's been done. But so far everything sounds faithful. In terms of Oceans Apart, that's not just brick wall mastering, that's clipping, as in harsh digital distortion. I talked to Bernard Macmahon - the founder of LoMax - quite a bit about it at the time. My impression - not a quote from him - is that there was clipping on everything that was sent him. And that this was a function of the producer, Mark Wallis, used to working artfully with compression in the analogue domain... (Wallis also produced masterpiece 16 Lovers Lane) but not so much in the digital domain. And that somewhere along the way, things got pushed too high and clipped. It would be wonderful for someone to go back to the flat masters and see what's there. If they're clipped, then so be it. If not, it would be lovely to hear that album without all the distortion. Some of the tracks are quite mangled if you're listening on a good system.

18. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Thank you for posting this. (The playlist shown at that link makes it look like the box set is streaming on Spotify! Not in the USA, tho, alas.)

20. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Yes - it definitely sounds like clipping to me in places, most noticeable in the guitar riff on "This Night's For You".

21. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I hope you get a book with the Domino order.

richierichie likes this.
  22. deege3000

deege3000 Forum Resident

Ordered on day one and got mine today. While I’m thrilled to have it, I didn’t get a book.

23. AlmondRoca

AlmondRoca Forum Resident

As I recall, even ripping the discs on ye olde laptop and removing the 2-sec gaps between tracks didn't make things flow as they naturally should have - a bit of trickery was involved to create a reasonably smooth digital copy I was happy with. (I attended that 2004 Barbican show btw - grateful to have an audio souvenir of that incredible evening, 2-sec gaps 'n all.)

24. Julian Hancock

Julian Hancock Member

Mine still haven't arrived. I gather I am not the only person whose set appears to have disappeared somewhere between Domino and the courier. In any event Domino appear eithrr unvilling or unable to resolve the situation. They haven't offered to send a replacement or refund my money, not have they at any stage taken the initiative to contact me and say what is happening.

25. Sebastian saglimbenI