Go-Go's "Club Zero" - first new song in almost 20 years coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fkrol, Jul 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Absolutely LOVE IT!!!

2. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Very cool! I like it.

3. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apparently Gabe Lopez produced the vocals on "Club Zero," and Travis Kasperbauer did music production/mixing. I don't know a lot about him but I do know he's worked with Belinda on her latest solo material and I saw an interview with her where she commented on how much she liked working with him.

From Gabe Lopez on Facebook:
    So excited for The Go-Go's documentary to premiere at Sundance Film Festival 2020 this week! I’m honored to have produced the vocals on their new song “Club Zero,” which is featured in the documentary. Travis Kasperbauer did a killer job with music production and mix. And, as always, the iconic legendary ladies rock the house!

4. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

I watched it the other night and also enjoyed it.

LSP2003 likes this.
  5. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

A little digging revealed that Kasperbauerv and Wiedlin are an item, so that explains that. Looks like he just turned 38, so he's probably one of those young guys who wouldn't know what a good-sounding record is if it smacked him in the face. ;)

6. Fkrol

Hey, being in my 30s I’ll have you know that I’m highly offended. :realmad: :laugh:

Did some googling myself and apparently he and Jane were a couple for 7 years but broke up in 2014. She was wishing him a happy 38th birthday in 2009, so age is no excuse since dude is near 50 now haha.

7. George Co-Stanza

Haha, good catch!

Speaking of Jane, I listened to Rush Hour when driving home from work a bit ago and that is such a good pop song. I know it was a minor hit, but that should have been a bigger hit than it was.

Purple, nosticker and Fkrol like this.
  8. Fkrol

It’s a perfect pop song. She has a lot of great solo songs but that’s gotta be her best. Gina wrote some excellent songs on her House of Schock album too, and I love some of those songs with The Graces that Charlotte did, like “Perfect View” and “Time Waits for No One.” There’s a lot of talent in that band, it’s a shame Belinda is the only one who hit it big solo.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  9. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Belinda's later solo cover version, despite Charlotte's participation, did not come close to the original.

10. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Not a minor hit at all....it peaked at #9 on the Billboard singles chart.

11. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Love it!

12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

13. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I just heard it for the first time in years in my local supermarket. I was surprised. Maybe the Go-Gos are getting a little traction out of the Showtime special.

Dan

14. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

The Graces' version got to #56 in the fall of 1989. I'm guessing it was a bigger modern rock track, since I heard it on college stations.

15. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

The documentary was great.... until it wasn't. I literally thought it was part 1 of a 2-parter, as it pretty much ends after the original break-up. Everything up to that point was fantastic.

But then the documentary basically says, "Well we broke up for good then... until we didn't! Now we're back together working on a musical and writing a new single! -FIN-"

Umm... what?

A totally disappointing end to what was up to then a really fantastic documentary.

16. Fkrol

I think it's one of those songs that was a hit in its day but that the general public doesn't know today.

I was pleasantly surprised to recently stumble onto a video of Jane performing the song live in 2018. It's the only truly live version I've ever found.

dangiedr likes this.
  17. Post-Punk Monk

Post-Punk Monk Seeking divinity in records from '78-'85 or so…

I never liked Belinda's singing once she got lessons and leaned so hard on vibrato. Two she goats [that would be Stevie Nicks and Susanna Hoffs] in this world are two too many. I really, REALLY hate Autotune/Melodyne/etc. It sticks out like a sore thumb to my ears and is so distancing. And not in a cool, Brechtian manner! I actually despair being in a commercial space and hearing the hateful, spiritless pop music of the modern era on a sound system. It exists in a netherworld of timeless limbo where there's only machine-like qualities, and not the kind that Kraftwerk strove so diligently for, either.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Haven't seen the Go-go's doc yet, but that sounds like the Eagles one.

Really good through the original split... and then it rushes through the solo careers and everything else!

Hokeyboy likes this.
  19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The ZZ Top one basically ended at Eliminator.

Oatsdad likes this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

I don't remember it charting that high, but good to know. :)

Seems to be the way those documentaries go now. The old "Behind the Music" specials on VH1 seemed to go out of their way at times to talk about any controversy. I can see wanting to have the documentary focus on mostly the good, though.

21. Fannymac

Fannymac Forum Resident

Any indication that they might do a new album?
    Supposedly the only thing holding them up was Belinda not wanting to do another "pop" album....but since her next solo album is supposed to be just that, why not do another band album?

22. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I watch a Yahoo interview with Belinda and Charlotte a couple of days ago, and they said there's no plans for a new album.

23. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

There is barely any lip service to the solo careers. Belinda had, what 2 or 3 Platinum records? Never even brought up, really. Except some talk about how Mad About You was written by the new bass player. Nothing about Wiedlin with the Sparks, let alone talk of Rush Hour.

And not a word about the Kathy Valentine estrangement/lawsuit that lasted for years.

I mean at least show some Bill & Ted's footage!

fsutall likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I get that it's a Go-go's doc and not a solo-Go's doc, and I don't want to judge it since I've not seen it.

Just seems incomplete if they ignore much of what happened after 1985 or so!

popscene likes this.
  25. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I watched this documentary and really enjoyed it. I came in from the viewpoint someone knowing their hits, but not much else. They did a great job with the early years, and seeing all those punk clips was enlightening. It's pretty amazing that they have photos of some of the girls as part of the audience from other punk shows. I'm not sure if that was just luck for they had a following already. I liked the interviews with members of Madness, The Specials and the The Police too. Clearly that first tour of the UK was a turning point.

The footage of "We Got The Beat" taken from Urgh! A Music War is spectacular. Is there other footage from that show? That is great stuff, high quality (shot on film) and a lot of energy.

The complaints about not touching on much of their post 1985 history and theirs solo careers is valid. Still, I enjoyed it and am now reevaluating the band.

And to someone else's comment, yes, "Rush Hour" was a big hit as I recall!

Erick Haight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.