Go-Go's "Club Zero" - first new song in almost 20 years coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Fkrol, Jul 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident Thread Starter

They are getting a really great response to the documentary and single so my hope is that it lights a fire under them to do more recording. For a band that's been together a good chunk of 40 years, you'd think they'd want to have more than 4 albums to show for it. I always got the sense that Kathy really wanted to record more, probably at least Gina too. Not sure how Jane and Charlotte feel about it. As you said, I think Belinda is always the biggest roadblock to making anything happen.

Hep Alien and Davido like this.
  2. PB62

PB62 Forum Resident

Add me to the list of people that think the new tune is great. Absolutely should do a full record if they can put something that good out in this day.

Haven’t seen the doc as I do almost no streams or cable. The behind the music one from years back covered most of the same ground I would think.

Saw them twice live...’84 and the first reunion around early ‘90’s great both times. Problem with these gals is as is the case with so many other bands...when they spend too much time together they end up hating each other. Likely why they don’t get into anything after the initial breakup....or else it would be years of off again on again off again on again.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  3. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

It's SUPERB! Ox = chuffed.

4. Fkrol

Fkrol Forum Resident Thread Starter

Virtual live performance they did of "Club Zero" a few days ago. I think everyone is playing live except for Belinda lip-syncing.

5. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

The new tune is as nifty as the documentary is dull and uncinematic. When did they pass a law that said music documentaries must consist solely of solo interviews taped in boring locales alternating with archival footage that is not identified nor allowed to play out at length? I mean, for a film about evolving relationships, the filmmaker couldn't be bothered to interview multiple people at once to capture their interactions? Yes, there is a brief bit of rehearsal footage at the end, but the film commits the mortal cinematic sin of telling instead of showing again and again and again and again. It felt like a 90-minute episode of "Behind the Music."

It's also funny that so much time is spent on Charlotte's heroin addiction, but everyone tiptoes around Belinda's three-decade coke habit! It was all very bland, authorized, and to those of us who know the band's story well, thoroughly bereft of insights or revelations. But the tunes sure hold up great!

I appreciated Ira Robbins's take on the film here. He basically says the film is just an extended EPK designed to get them in the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame, and I think he may be right...

6. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

My sis sent me this. No in-ears. No Autotune. Pure.
    So I had to.

The Go-Go's on Rockpalast in Berlin 11/3/82

I dug the doc. :thumbsup:

Hep Alien and PJayBe like this.
  7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Nice.

I still can't get over how different Belinda's voice sounds. If someone had played that song for me and not told me who it was, I would not have guessed it was the Go-Go's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.