Go-Go's documentary trailer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vamborules, Jul 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah I didn't know about that until I read Kathy Valentine's book. A hit like that could have changed the whole story.

Sean and Javier Santivanez like this.
  2. SG47

SG47 Forum Resident

I was 12 years old and growing up in Los Angeles when the Go Go's blew up. I liked them , mostly just the radio hits tho. I remember sneaking in to see Fast Times at Ridgemont High and We Got The Beat comes banging in first thing, set the tone for an awesome time at the movies!

Thought it was a pretty solid documentary. I knew they came outta the LA punk scene even when I was 12. That was about all I knew though, so the documentary was pretty interesting and enjoyable for me.

Marshall likes this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

And it was written by the woman who was going to be Jane’s replacement!

AlmanacZinger and vamborules like this.
  4. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

It definitely follows that tried & true arc, but it is well done and they are candid about their foibles, even if they are recalled or reacted to in isolation. There is a lot of really good archival footage from their early punk days and the transitional period where they started playing "We Got The Beat" and morphing into more of a pop band.

I've been listening to a lot of their music with fresh ears since I watched it. Beyond the bona fide songwriting chops, I think Charlotte and Kathy are underappreciated respectively on lead guitar and bass. They had a unique and intuitive style that elevated those songs. Gina Schock is rock solid as a drummer. Most of the songs sounds effortless, tuneful and timeless - album tracks just as much as the singles.

5. Fawltykog

Fawltykog "Nothing Is Real"

I was a moderator on the late lamented ABBA Features Forum and Gina Schock was a member which was nice, a genuinely friendly person and great fun to chat too.

Yep that's my 15 minutes of fame.

Sean, AlmanacZinger, Geee! and 2 others like this.
  6. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I didn't realise this had already come out. I'll have to try and find it to stream online.

7. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

So much time had passed that I'd bet a lot of folks missed Kathy Valentine's solo album called "Light Years" from 2005. Not on a major so I guess distribution of the album was limited. KV handled the songwriting, sometimes solo and sometimes with a writing partner. She had some big name guests on the album though, and Blondie's Clem Burke did most of the drumming... it's a very good listen!

Sean, AlmanacZinger and JDeanB like this.
  8. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Thanks! I will seek it out.

9. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

I got curious and found a few used copies online from Amazon resellers. Good to know it's out there. Kathy Valentine has released more blues based rock with her band the Bluebonnets, but this solo debut was very Go.Go-ish (with a side of Blondie)!

JDeanB likes this.
  10. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

It's on Amazon.

11. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

This doc did a great job of featuring every member. No lead singer bs in this one. They were a true band, though with the usual entitled non-writers.

SG47 likes this.
  12. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

Just watch this last night. Besides being an enjoyable flick, the time spent discussing the LA punk scene, in general, was quite interesting, because it provided some context in which to understand how this band seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

Sean, RevUp64 and SG47 like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

does anyone else feel it was just a wee bit softballed?

Comet01 likes this.
  14. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

What do you mean?

15. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I watched it. It was enjoyable. I never really got into their music besides what has been on the radio but this inspires me to at least give them a try.

16. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Decent doc.

Belinda has had some serious plastic surgery.

Jane is still cute as a button. :love:

They REALLY should be in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.

17. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Looks like a fun documentary, as most of these things are.

I must say, the appeal of this group's music has completely passed me over. I've heard all the singles, and not a one has ever grabbed my ear.

But an all-female group of California girls is always going to make for a fun story!

-- Belinda Carlisle: Maybe you over-did it just a little with the botox / plastic surgery?
    -- Stuart Copeland in interview cameos, clearly at the behest of his older brother
    -- Why does every single documentary about every single band that formed between 1976 and 1982 have to spend inordinate time on establishing the group's punk influence and/or credentials? It's become a meaningless cliche. It's only a matter of time before the Wham! documentary establishes that George Michael would never have written 'Careless Whisper' without punk.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

In my opinion, there is NO replacement for Jane!

AlmanacZinger and Complier like this.
  19. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident Thread Starter

But the Go-Go's really did come from the L.A. punk scene. It's not a cliche it's the truth of their story.

Man at C&A, Sean, somnar and 3 others like this.
  20. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Yeah, but "truth" doesn't mean it hasn't become a cliche.

My point is, I wish the documentaries would give up on the whole "PUNK IS COOL, MAN!" It's like, if we can somehow, vaguely associate this band with punk in any way, shape, or form, they'll look COOL.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i think they could have gotten much more into the private lives of the girls before, during and after the go-go's. how did the others feel about carlisle in playboy and her life style? things like that.

it reminded me very much of the dan rather interviews on axs-tv, ask no questions that might be a bit controversial for fear the interview will implode.

22. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Agreed.

Also, I stopped watching the Dan Rather interviews for that reason.

23. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yep, rather's interview of don felder was an absolute joke.

24. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I can only guess that there was a ton more interview footage that was left out and VH1 cherry picked the quotes that would support the story they wanted to tell.

There were a lot of interview excerpts with they themselves saying how bad it was, but probably within the context of the whole story.

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

That is not at all what this doc did. What it did was tell how this band came together specifically because of the LA punk scene. There's no two ways around it. They were all a big part of the early scene as fans, they were inspired by the music and by the "anybody can do this" attitude to start a band without knowing how to play their instruments, and one of their original members got fired because she didn't want to move much past that scene. It's got nothing to do with giving them credibility. It's as much a part of their story as Chuck Berry is to the Rolling Stones.

Dudley Morris, Sean, Comet01 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.