Go West superdeluxe edition may 4?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirrorblade.1, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There first cd is being released as new boxset.. I had mix feelings about as it has 3 cds
    and one dvd.. 90% have been released in some form or a other..
    There are plenty live cds and dvds from them.. most of the remixes were available on bangs and crashes.
    one cd has demos about 6 which is cool.. the whole set is about $50+
    I think they could made better boxset with all cds under emi label.
    to Indian Summer.. I enjoy go west... this just over priced fancy item for some..
    Somebody link more info for that site.

negative1 and Derek Slazenger like this.
  2. Mirrorblade.1

Here's the way I would done a boxset . All three albums in one box.. kinda do it like message in a box.
    the 4 cd and 5th cds with would be demos and dreaded remixes..
    They did IceHouse all there cds on one boxset.. which I have..
    This go west deluxe edition is very padded.. to increase the price..
    Paul, sadly didn't think or care to to do all there cds in one boxset.. and just piece meal the whole thing.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  3. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Can anyone comment on the quality of the clear vinyl that came out today?

negative1 likes this.
  4. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I have the boxed-set. It's ... ok. The mastering and/or mixing sound a bit suspect to my ears (especially on the live material). Neither is there any hi-res component (be that stereo, 5.1 or Atmos).

A great shame - the album deserved better :(

negative1 and Derek Slazenger like this.
  5. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I was able to listen to the 2022 remaster for “We Close Our Eyes” via Qobuz. I like the sound of it far more than my early US CD, which is lifeless and thin. I have always liked the sound of my LP, but my turntable and LPs are in boxes for a move and can’t compare. The 2022 remastered track is much louder, which isn’t a plus. I look forward to hearing the whole album once the box set is available in June.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    negative1 likes this.
  7. Mirrorblade.1

I like Dancing On The Couch better.. But , I think Peter, said rather an Indian Summer Boxset?
    Which I don't think there is much? Hopefully the releases will go in order....
    Just combine both cds in one box.. as far as I know there's not much of b=sides or remixes..
    But, Paul, likes to pad the product..

jamesc and caupina like this.
  8. Mirrorblade.1

I have emi gold remaster of that cd . I think it's loud already.
    You can listen to whole remastered cd on go wests youtube page for free:)

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  9. Mirrorblade.1

It is quite loud.. As just listened to whole to the album and few b-sides and demos..
    the key boards are quit shrill. if you listen to this or buy this you will have turn down the volume on this.
    No blasting on max.. it reminds me of culture factory releases.. and queen remasters..
    I won't buy it for awhile till the price goes down..
    Don't need it right now .. I give it 3- out of 5
    As I don't like over loud cds

ispace and negative1 like this.
  10. gabacabriel

I too would have laid out the box set differently, though personally I'd have favoured the following approach:-

CD1 - the album + the 'core 4' UK 12" remixes + b-sides + One Way Street (Rocky 4 OST song)
    CD2 - the remaining remixes and single edits
    CD3 - BBC live in concert (complete and remixed)
    CD4 - demos + 1st ever live show (also recorded and broadcast by the BBC in advance of the album launch)
    Blu-ray - including all the material contained on the DVD + the performance from The Tube (UK TV show) + the album in 24/96 stereo (and ideally 5.1)

Oh, and I'd have put it in a 10" pack with a hardback book, rather than the flimsy card thing that we actually ended up with :)

Eric_Generic and jamesc like this.
  11. Mirrorblade.1

Yeah, it could went the route of The Police In A Box slightly bigger
    All three cds one remix cd of all remixes one demo cd of all demos
    2 live cds and one dvd.

12. Fripper

Fripper Increasingly less tolerant of intolerant people...

I think the live CD sounds excellent compared to the original BBC broadcast. The original sounded like it was recorded in an empty auditorium with lots of reverb and was a bit of a mess: unusually so considering it was a BBC recording. Maybe it was half empty - does anyone know?

This CD is a lot tighter and whoever restored it has managed to pull back the reverb quite successfully. I know from experience that is difficult to do without damaging the core essence of the recording.

negative1 likes this.
  13. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

CD1: DR7
    CD2: DR6
    CD3: DR6
    CD4: DR5

It's no good.

14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Ouch.

I haven't had my set shipped yet (Amazon are dragging their heels with this, as we know, and my SDE order hasn't begun the dispatch process nearly a week after ordering...he did say something about delays, so no biggie).

Re: the Hammersmith show (if that's the audio we're talking about) - the venue always had terrible acoustics (the two shows I saw there in the mid-80s had that vibe despite both being sold out).

Also, although SDE champion releases like this, and offer them for sale with exclusives, I don't believe Paul was directly involved in the compiling of it, or any decisions made about its contents.

EG.

ispace likes this.
  15. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

That's terribly disappointing. I was looking forward to a condensed one- or two-disc version of this reissue, and I'd hoped that having the album's producer, Gary Stevenson, remaster the album would ensure that the sonics wouldn't be squashed. It seems that didn't happen.

16. peterpyser

I'm quite sure the guy from the deluxe edition site is involved.
    I tried to post the DR values twice to warn people for the bad sound quality, but my posts didn't pass his censorship.

17. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Paul hates any talk of DR, sound quality, loudness etc. It's a blind spot of his, sadly.

EG.

18. peterpyser

Complete DR analysis:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Go West / Go West (Deluxe Edition) [CD1]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR7 -0.16 dB -8.70 dB 3:47 01-We Close Our Eyes (2022 Remaster)
    DR7 0.00 dB -7.99 dB 3:53 02-Don't Look Down (2022 Remaster)
    DR6 -0.15 dB -8.55 dB 4:12 03-Call Me (2022 Remaster)
    DR8 -0.28 dB -10.13 dB 3:33 04-Eye To Eye (2022 Remaster)
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.20 dB 3:15 05-Haunted (2022 Remaster)
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.91 dB 3:59 06-S.O.S. (2022 Remaster)
    DR7 0.00 dB -9.10 dB 5:06 07-Goodbye Girl (2022 Remaster)
    DR7 -0.23 dB -8.76 dB 4:11 08-Innocence (2022 Remaster)
    DR7 0.00 dB -9.80 dB 5:57 09-Missing Persons (2022 Remaster)

Number of tracks: 9
    Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 914 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

Analyzed: Go West / Go West (Deluxe Edition) [CD2]

DR6 0.00 dB -7.49 dB 5:56 01-We Close Our Eyes (The Total Overhang Club Mix)
    DR5 0.00 dB -7.02 dB 4:17 02-Man In My Mirror (2022 Remaster)
    DR5 0.00 dB -7.25 dB 4:32 03-Goodbye Girl (Single Version)
    DR5 0.00 dB -7.28 dB 5:05 04-S.O.S. (The Perpendicular Mix)
    DR5 0.00 dB -7.03 dB 5:10 05-Eye To Eye (The Horizontal Mix)
    DR4 0.00 dB -6.17 dB 6:56 06-Ball of Confusion (Live at Hammersmith Odeon 21/11/1985)
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.97 dB 6:37 07-Call Me (The Indiscriminate Mix)
    DR6 0.00 dB -7.56 dB 4:22 08-Dreamworld (2022 Remaster)
    DR6 0.00 dB -8.17 dB 6:41 09-Missing Persons (Live at Hammersmith Odeon 21/11/1985)
    DR7 -0.21 dB -8.24 dB 6:03 10-Don't Look Down (The Stratospheric Mix)
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.49 dB 4:37 11-One Way Street (from the Rocky IV Original Picture Soundtrack) (2022 Remaster)
    DR6 0.00 dB -6.77 dB 5:53 12-Innocence (The Desperation Mix)
    DR7 0.00 dB -8.75 dB 4:53 13-Eye To Eye (The Credibility Dub Mix)
    DR4 0.00 dB -6.05 dB 6:10 14-Call Me (U.S. Dance mix)

Number of tracks: 14
    Official DR value: DR6

Bitrate: 1116 kbps
    ================================================================================

Analyzed: Go West / Go West (Deluxe Edition) [CD3]

DR6 -0.30 dB -7.75 dB 3:49 01-Special Girl (Demo) (2022 Remaster)
    DR7 -0.10 dB -8.97 dB 4:45 02-One Way Street (Demo) (2022 Remaster)
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.08 dB 3:24 03-Don't Look Down (Demo) (2022 Remaster)
    DR5 -0.40 dB -7.38 dB 4:17 04-Missing Persons (Demo) (2022 Remaster)
    DR8 -0.31 dB -9.31 dB 3:20 05-Partners In Crime (Demo) (2022 Remaster)
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.43 dB 3:40 06-The Man In My Mirror (Demo) (2022 Remaster)
    DR6 -0.30 dB -8.33 dB 5:04 07-Goodbye Girl (Early Mix)
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.89 dB 4:28 08-Call Me (Secret Solo Mix)
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.68 dB 4:06 09-Don't Look Down (The Sequel) (7" Mix)
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.03 dB 4:31 10-Innocence (The Desperation 7" Edit Mix)
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.75 dB 3:30 11-Eye To Eye (The System 7" Remix)
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.03 dB 6:41 12-We Close Our Eyes (The Total Overhang Mix)
    DR5 -0.30 dB -7.06 dB 7:16 13-Call Me (The Longer Indiscriminate Mix)
    DR7 -0.30 dB -9.13 dB 5:49 14-Eye To Eye (The Credibility Mix)

Number of tracks: 14
    Official DR value: DR6

Bitrate: 1032 kbps

Analyzed: Go West / Go West (Deluxe Edition) [CD4]

DR5 -0.50 dB -7.72 dB 5:15 01-S.O.S. (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)
    DR5 -0.50 dB -6.53 dB 4:06 02-Man In My Mirror (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)
    DR6 -0.50 dB -8.37 dB 5:05 03-Eye To Eye (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)
    DR5 -0.50 dB -7.05 dB 4:11 04-Time Heals (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)
    DR5 -0.50 dB -6.55 dB 5:22 05-Hideaway (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)
    DR4 -0.50 dB -6.26 dB 4:01 06-Haunted (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)
    DR5 -0.50 dB -7.86 dB 6:41 07-Missing Persons (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)
    DR4 -0.50 dB -7.25 dB 6:55 08-Ball of Confusion (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)
    DR4 -0.50 dB -6.14 dB 5:58 09-Don't Look Down (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)
    DR4 -0.50 dB -6.12 dB 5:25 10-Innocence (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)
    DR5 -0.50 dB -6.96 dB 6:35 11-We Close Our Eyes (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, London 21/11/1985)

Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR5

Bitrate: 1041 kbps

ispace, jamesc and JulesRules like this.
  19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

To be fair, I wouldn't expect a 1985 BBC concert recording to be audiophile quality. The varying DR numbers for the Bangs & Crashes album bothers me more, as that could be an uncomfortable listen...much like the disc in the TFF Seeds deluxe set whuch lurches from DR5 to DR9....

Saying that, this evening I pulled my 2006 pressing of The Feeling's debut CD off the shelf and discovered there are tracks on there with a DR of 3.....mostly 4! I mean... 3!!!!!

EG.

Jagger69, JulesRules and Fripper like this.
  20. Fripper

Extremely certain that Paul Sinclair had nothing to do with this release apart from the opportunity to get product at trade price to sell - plus any extras negotiated with the artists. Usually it is the labels that go to him with a finished product and a marketing angle.

21. Fripper

Exactly this. As for the rest of the boxset, I agree it's dynamically mashed to hell & back.

Marantz31, ispace and Eric_Generic like this.
  22. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I don't understand why tracks can't be level-matched during mastering. It's not that hard to achieve.
    Nonetheless, a straight transfer of a broadcast would not naturally exhibit that kind of DR (despite radio compression), so that wasn't necessary...

ispace, Jagger69 and Eric_Generic like this.
  23. peterpyser

Yes, he probably enjoys his box sets only for the marbles and scarves...

24. Fripper

Don't take the following points in isolation, try to think of them in the round & in the context of a boxset: I've worked on a fair number of them and know the general approach quite well.

There's a difference between dynamic range and loudness. Broadly, these CDs are as loud as each other but what you are talking about is the amount of compression applied. This depends on the source recording and the dynamics it illustrates. Also, typically, live recordings are fairly 'compressed in shape' (if you see what I mean) in the source recording: it is just the result of the concert dynamics. Therefore, everything else being equal, one would typically expect a live rock/pop gig recording in a reverby auditorium to have quite a low DR compared to a studio recording. That's just how it is. P.S. only bootleg labels would use the 'compressed radio' version: the original tapes (or digital transfers) would be used for legit releases.

And, if the studio tracks were mastered in a certain way for this set then there is no way the label would do a flat transfer of the BBC recording: it would sound absurdly quiet or dull compared to the studio discs. You may not like that approach but if you are mastering a box set then you would broadly try to get things sounding similar.

You could take each of these points separately and tear holes in them - I would - but in the context of making a box set where elements are sourced from different places and different qualities then the Chrysalis approach makes sense and there is a lowest common denominator element to the approach: you don't have to like it but that doesn't mean it isn't the approach that needs to be taken.

There are examples that don't follow this approach: the 2021 Japan 'Quiet Life' release, for instance, ballsed up the mastering of the live gig and made it sound both worse than the source recording supplied to BMG (blame Jansen for that) and it was out of kilter with the rest of the release. You'll have to trust me on this: no one was more upset by the final outcome of that box than I.

And then there are releases that have much 'softer'/'quieter' mastering applied which some of us prefer but the overall aim is still broad consistency within a release or a series of releases.

nlgbbbblth and EwaWoowa like this.
  25. gabacabriel

Fair enough point, but the problem is that the live tracks on the original Bangs and Crashes CD from the 80s sound better that those on this new live CD, and they are from the SAME GIG. I mean, isn't the purpose of remastering to improve things sonically?

I knew these discs (all of them) sounded off as soon as I played them - the DR numbers listed above merely confirmed my suspicions :(

jamesc, Eric_Generic and c-eling like this.