Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Bowie broke out in the USA on WMMS in Cleveland OH in 19 freaking 72.

“Middle America” had no problem with gays, Mott, Bowie, Roxy, Queen, glam or Stones etc. Ever. I was there, I lived it. It was on the radio, it was in the bars, it was in Creem mag, it was rock and roll and we loved it.

Sorry but you apparently have no clue about “middle America” whatever the **** that is. The idea that you Cali peeps were somehow elite or enlightened is laughable to the point of absurdity as far as RnR goes anyway.

Piss off. Cool kids are everywhere.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. spacedustuwu

spacedustuwu Member

I can see em doing something similar to what they did with the SF deluxe set. A standard remastered CD & Vinyl then a double disc version with redone outtakes then finally a 3CD version with a live show.

Hep Alien and Carl80 like this.
  3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

That's a given. No reason for anyone to get their hopes up.

twicks likes this.
  4. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

I have a copy of a compilation called 'Its only Goats Head Soup But We Like It". Unreleased tracks include a cover of Dobie Gray's Drift Away and three originals; Living in the Heart of Love, Through the Lonely Nights and Criss-Cross Man, the latter two being (I believe) Goat outtakes. Early versions of Tops and Waiting on a Friend could also be included. Plus the sensitive ballad You Should Have Seen Her Ass.

One of my favourite Stones albums. I always knew I was supposed to prefer Sticky Fingers and Exile, but Winter, Mr D, Heartbreaker and 100 Years Ago put up a pretty tough fight.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  5. pscreed

aka YSHSHA.

Sean and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  6. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I WAS BORN AND BRED IN DETROIT. Home of the the freakin' STOOGES. Who I saw in a gym when I was 11 years old. I worked at Creem when I was 15. Like I said if you read what I wrote, MY FRIENDS AND GANG loved Glam/Bowie and all you mentioned. But MOST did not in 72/73 hell till 1975 you could get beat up wearing a Bowie shirt. And I don't believe Cleveland was one bit different on the whole. The older guys still loved their classic rock and Zeppelin etc in 1972. I remember WMMS and Kid Leo etc well. I don't think they were playing anything from Ziggy Stardust during the day in 1972 either. Regardless, get the chip off your shoulder and chill TFO.

7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

At what point can we ask a Gort to change the title of this thread to add a question mark at least? We are pages and months into this thread and we haven’t had any kind of a real confirmation in the slightest.

8. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

We haven’t but Mick said in an interview months ago it was being finished off and every title in the Half master series has been announced apart from GHS so there obviously holding off on an announcement soon, they haven’t re issued an album in a while, it’s coming.

9. pscreed

Let’s get ready to RUMBLE :wantsome:

:cop::cop::cop:

The Beave and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  10. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Kinda what I said. My group of teen friends dug the whole glam thing, and to be honest the guys were into it mostly cuz the girls were REALLY into it. . The only place we could hear it was from a little station in Windsor Ontario across the river from Detroit. The station was CJOM and a DJ there called Ronnie Legg was a huge fan/friend of the New York Dolls and played everything. I used to tape his shows wish I still had those tapes. But yeah, any guy into Bowie etc in and around Deeetroit Rock City was a fag. And the old Stones fans hated Mick and GHS for trying to be ''glam rock." Ok carry on dear readers.

All Down The Line, Carl80 and Hiraeth like this.
  11. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Is there a release date on the deluxe Goat Heads Soup? I hope it includes the country version of Angie. An under rated lp for sure.

12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

There was a post earlier re the acoustic guitar on Angie. I love the song, performance etc. Does anyone know who played the acoustic?

Timjosephuk likes this.
  13. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

No, everything is pure speculation right now.

Sean likes this.
  14. Exile On My Street

Mick Taylor and Keith Richards. Keith plays the intro.

15. I hope not either, but a package as you mention wouldn’t really be a GHS deluxe, would it? Might as well just release Brussel by itself if there’s no bonus studio material.

16. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Same here.

17. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Thread fitting for a lackluster record imo.

Hiraeth likes this.
  18. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

No release date. Not even really an official announcement, just a random mention by Mick several months back that they were “working on it.” Will it come out this year? Will it come out at all? It’s all just guessing in this thread right now. Well, and some mean spirited name calling apparently.

sharedon likes this.
  19. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

There is no talking sense with some people. Homophobia was as common as dirt in the early 70s. I wasn't even gay and I was harassed constantly for wearing platform shoes! When I went to high school in the 70s if you didn't look like this you were in deep s**t.

[​IMG]

Of course, there were tiny glitter scenes in a few select cities. I saw the New York Dolls in early 1974 (with Kiss opening), and literally every glam fan in the city was there, almost filling a 1600 seat theatre.

Curveboy and btltez like this.
  20. Exile On My Street

Can we take the extraneous conversation elsewhere? Send emails so the rest of us can stay on topic. Thanks in advance.

21. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

The best extant live material of 1973 Stones is the Australian television footage from February. It's great but there's not that much of it out there. There could be more in the vaults.

They sound amazing starting at 1:33 here:

There was also a German television program broadcast in September 1973. Very lo-def versions of this show are floating around, but again the original tape/film may exist. The Live in Cologne footage listed on this DVD is Super-8 so it's obviously not sync or hi-def enough.

[​IMG]

22. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I’m not on twitter or anything like that but was wondering if it might be worth putting a question out about the possible re issue if anyone has any contacts or sources and to see why goats wasn’t announced with the other half speed masters, it’s boring on here and we could do with something to talk about and look forward too, just a thought.

All Down The Line and btltez like this.
  23. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I hope it's not just a CD release (if it's happening).

24. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Doubt they would re issue it just for a CD release, if it happens would imagine there will be a few formats.

btltez likes this.
  25. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Amazon Germany now has a release date of August 28th for an expanded reissue of Goats Head Soup! 4CD. No price or details.