Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

weird. sure it wasn't spam?

2. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

I'd be all in for this, as I've always really enjoyed GHS...I know it's not everyone's cup o' tea, but there were/are enough really good songs on it for me to view it as their last "great" effort. But it's the unreleased/demo stuff that I'm really interested in hearing.

3. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

This is the thread and box set I have been waiting for since I joined this forum , please god let it be true, is this official or rumour?

Man sessions of tracks like 100 years ago, Heartbreaker, Coming Down Again, Winter, or Silver Train is too much, count me in for everything. I listen to GHS a lot and it runs right the way through and I hardly ever skip a track.

4. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Straight from Mick so I'd say official :D

5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Ah man , weekend and month made, what a man and forum. Ha

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Even if it's just a few instrumental jams from Dynamic Sound and "Through the Lonely Nights" on the bonus CD, I'll be happy

tedg65, Hep Alien and steelinYaThighs like this.
  7. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Calm down Carl haha. Might not be until December. Looong wait. Just kidding. Could be tomorrow right?

steelinYaThighs and Carl80 like this.
  8. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I'm listening to the "Unreleased DECCA Live Album" boot, which is likely a combo of Philly and Fort Worth 1972. Anyway, it'd be nice if we got an official release like this (although we did finally get a Ladies and Gentleman soundtrack). They had their best material in those sets, with no fluff at all.

All Down The Line and J_D__ like this.
  9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Got slightly excited there Jim, ha. As long as we get the confirmation that’s all I need. What Anniversary will this be of it, didn’t think there was one till a few years ?

Can anyone get hold of the interview from Mick ?

btltez likes this.
  10. Python

Python Forum Resident

Their last truly great album...I think the hits are all pretty damn good (even the seemingly much-loathed "Angie," and yes, it could have been a much cooler song with a bit less sugar), but how anyone can't love "Coming Down Again" or the Mick Taylor extravaganzas (and excellent songs even without him) "100 Years Ago" and "Winter" is beyond me. Great production after the muddy mess that was Exile.

Definitely a few lesser tracks ("Dancing With Mr. D," "Hide Your Love," "Can You Hear The Music?") but overall, I really dig this one. Would love to hear some outtakes (I've got a bad version of "Criss Cross Man"), but I hope Mick doesn't wreck them with new vocals or, even worse, new lyrics like he did with so many of the supposed Exile and Some Girls outtakes...

steelinYaThighs and Carl80 like this.
  11. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Man, this news got me dancing to Mr.D once again - what a great riff by mr. Keith :pineapple:

12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I’d say IORR is one of there great albums as well, some amazing tracks.

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I presume that the post-ABKCO material is still being held by Rolling Stones Records, which has licensed the material for release to Warner Bros., CBS, Virgin, Universal, etc.

Some years ago there used to be a photo archive on the Stones' website showing all the multi-tracks -- this was about the time Brussels was officially released. Sadly, those images have been removed.

14. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

well go listen to all the GHS sessions I've sent you till then! Sure the Mick int. will be up sooner than later

Carl80 likes this.
  15. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Well it will be done better for sure because it’s Universal and The Stones Label and not Abkco.

btltez likes this.
  16. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Good point Jim, I must do this !

btltez likes this.
  17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I can’t believe Keef has quit smoking.

Tiki, The Ole' Rocker, J_D__ and 7 others like this.
  18. Silvertrain

Silvertrain Forum Resident

So, does that mean we will get a Live at the Fonda-concert of the GHS album,
    like they did with Sticky Fingers deluxe in 2015?

Preferably in the order of the 8 track, Mick!

Imagine Winter and Coming Down Again live.

19. ReelStone

ReelStone Forum Resident

20. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I am all over this... one of my favorite records ever. Thanks for the heads up OP!

21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh stop...you're embarrassing me! ;)

Carl80 likes this.
  22. Python

Python Forum Resident

I actually thought about that before I wrote that, being the last Taylor album certainly the end of an era, but it just doesn't measure up to GHS in my opinion. The first four tracks bore me (the first song is just silly, don't like the cover, and the title track has just never done much for me, unlike most of their hits), then you get to "Time Waits For No One," a true masterpiece. Lyrically, musically, plus the lovely solo. Didn't Taylor always claim he should have received a songwriting credit for that one?

Side two is mildly better overall, with a few good songs ("Luxury," "Dance," "Short And Curlies") but another couple duds as far as I'm concerned, the endless "If You Really Want..." and the paranoid closing track, "Fingerprint File," in hindsight a troubling look at Mick's future descent into overwrought self-seriousness.

But those are just my thoughts, glad you love it! I'll certainly take it over Black And Blue, Emotional Rescue or any other album from Undercover on...

Carl80 likes this.
  23. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

IORR is definitely full of great stuff but it also contains the only two Stones songs I don't much like: "IORR" and "Dance Little Sister".

Elliottmarx and Carl80 like this.
  24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Hopefully it will have an updated remastering (actually, if I had to pick ONE Stones album for a remix, this would be it)...if not, there will be loudness and harshness.

All Down The Line and Carl80 like this.
  25. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I want this... This has come to be my fave Stones album. Worked its way to the top of the heap for me.