Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

2. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

BTW, the weird front/back cover of this album used to freak me out when I was a kid browsing the record shop. Anybody know the story behind the cover photos?

ODShowtime and Zack like this.
  3. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Just watched the new tour video spot....they use Silver Train in there...

4. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

no no sure no spam

btltez likes this.
  5. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

This news is more exciting than the new tour news and I can take or leave GHS, despite some great songs on the album. I'm glad they are still touring but miss the days when decent tix were reasonably affordable, and depending on how attuned you were to the ticket sale options, you just might miss out... it seems everyone can attend the show nowadays, since it's stadiums or worse, but it's more of an over priced social event than appreciation of a legacy act worth remembering for barriers broken.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

This is the actual quote.

Beyond getting ready for the spring/summer run of dates, Jagger says he working on songs for the new Stones album, wrapping up a reissue of the band's 1973 album Goats Head Soup and preparing for the release of his new film, The Burnt Orange Heresy, which arrives in March.

The quote just says reissue which could mean anything (remix/remaster?) and does not mention a Super Deluxe Edition. After the releases of the last few Abkco Super Deluxe Editions with no new material, who knows what to expect. They might just reissue the album with a general release of the Brussels Affair which I already have from the Japanese release of the Marquee Club 1971.

I am not getting my hopes up too much until more details are released.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I am in for this! Having another poster of that goat head won't hurt. :D
    My earliest Stones memory is the GHS album that an older sibling had purchased as a cassette in 1973.
    Around that time, I saw the video for "Angie" on TV. My first pre-MTV video & my introduction to Mick & the boys.

8. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

Apart from the music, I'd like to see any reissue have the actual goat's head soup photo on the cover as originally planned, although I'd be surprised if that happened.

9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I wonder if we'll be getting spruced up outtakes like with Exile and Some Girls.

chickendinna and steelinYaThighs like this.
  10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I'm ready for this.

shepherdfan and steelinYaThighs like this.
  11. bosie

bosie Forum Resident

I’m ready as long as it’s not another universal remaster disaster.

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

True, was thinking the same but I think they will go down the Sticky Fingers route and put out multiple sets, especially since it’s next in line after Sticky Fingers and Exile, doubt Mick would say that if it was just a standard re issue.

13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I really hope not! Looking forward to a deluxe anyway. Love the album and in my opinion all the Stones albums from the debut to Tattoo You should have deluxe editions! With the GHS era studio stuff that circulates along with relevant live material hopefully it will be a great set and one that you play a lot.

14. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

That’s an excellent point—a reminder of the old saying: “read the fine print.” No, it didn’t include the verbiage “Deluxe Edition” (“reissue of SOUP...”), but this might be a rare instance in which our happiness is warranted and not premature—it’s one of Their best selling albums, and although he might not mention it today, The Commander probably still holds this ‘un near & dear to his heart. He is all over it, too—much more of his influence on this than Keef’s.

Fortunately, this ‘un won’t suffer the disgusting treatment BANQUET and BLEED suffered for their Silver Anniversaries because it isn’t owned by Klein/ABKCO. I’m not much of a gambler, but I’d put my money on a “reissue” being in the same vein as the D.E.’s done for STICKY, EXILE, and GIRLS—They have plenty of studio leftovers from these sessions, and there’s that devoted following associated with BRUSSELS AFFAIRS. They have to be aware of this—and that there are still significant numbers that will (without hesitation) pull the trigger on SOUP Deluxe.

And if this does go well, perhaps TATTOO will be next up for the T.L.C.

- siyt

15. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

If Tattoo was made up of tracks lying around from other sessions, wouldn't anything else appear on other sets for other albums?? (such as Waiting for a Friend appearing on GHS set)

I'm looking forward to seeing what this GHS set brings.

The MEZ likes this.
  16. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I've always wondered how it would've been received had it been broken into fast/slow sides a la Tattoo You. I made a cdr of that and really enjoy it.

17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

However, as I mentioned they might just pair a straight reissue of Goats Head Soup with a general physical release of Brussels Affair which would require little work on their end for a good return and wouldn't really benefit me at all.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    mbrownp1 likes this.
  18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

geez I hoped I'd never have to see that album cover again...

Davido likes this.
  19. Zack

Zack Senior Member

As post #6 attests, all those portraits are awful, not to mention the gatefold soup with the goat staring at you. Wiki says

The album cover was designed by Ray Lawrence and photographed by David Bailey, a friend of Jagger's who had worked with The Rolling Stones since 1964. The portrait of Jagger on the front cover was approximately life size in the original 12-inch LP format. Jagger was reluctant to be shot enveloped by a pink chiffon veil, which Bailey said was meant to look like "Katharine Hepburn in The African Queen". The album's gatefold has all the band members wrapped around a similar fabric.[13][14]

[​IMG]

Goats Head Soup - Wikipedia

20. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

I wonder if this will include some songs from the era with new instruments and vocals added. Akin to the Exile & Some Girls bonus material.

Technically a new Stones album. ;)

laf848 and CBackley like this.
  21. steelinYaThighs

Thing about TATTOO is: it’s not just unused material from SOUP that’s relevant; the guts of TATTOO are comprised of goodies from B&B (a very underrated LP), GIRLS, and RESCUE. In particular, “Slave” and “Worried About You” have their genesis in those early 75 studio sessions that became BLACK & BLUE—and although I adore that album, I’m supremely confident it’s never going to receive the Deluxe treatment like some of its sister LPs, so an alternative would be to take any good outtakes/vault material from sessions cut between 73/74 (I.O.R.R.; personnel changes) and late 80/early 81 and issue it via a TATTOO Deluxe—after all, it is Their 70s Outtakes LP, and as an added bonus, it’s a great album all on its own. All of the SOUP material could be laid down in a Deluxe with plenty leftover for a proper TATTOO on steroids.

GIRLS Deluxe was a terrific release; that second disc is bulletproof—could’ve been issued as an album on its own, but there’s still more delicacies “inna vault:” “Hang Fire,” and “Black Limousine” are products of the GIRLS Sessions (and the early working versions can be found on Y.T.), but they didn’t make that disc of GIRLS leftovers.

Agreed! A Deluxe SOUP is the priority over a new tour.

- siyt

22. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Cant see that when he is saying putting the finishing touches to it, sounds like it’s been a bigger project and more work involved.

All Down The Line likes this.
  23. steelinYaThighs

This is a VERY rare instance in which I hope you’re wrong, John—I’m hoping (against hope, I guess) that they exert a bit of effort and do this right.

It would make up nicely for what was done to BANQUET and BLEED during milestone celebrations.

- siyt

Carl80 likes this.
  24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Finishing up might mean creating the packaging or a book to be included if it just a straight reissue with the Brussels Affair show included. He did not say they were actually recording.

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I hope I'm incorrect as well but they way they have doing things lately, I am not holding my breath. Just from comments made in the past by both Jagger and Richards it seems they are not really interested in this vault material.

Hep Alien and steelinYaThighs like this.