Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The problem with a Super Deluxe Edition of Tattoo You with outtakes now is they used quite a bit of good vault material for the Some Girls bonus disc and if they add any outtakes to a possible Goats Head Super Deluxe Edition, it would be even less good material to choose from. They could pull it off but it might mean not having (Super) Deluxe Editions of IORR, Black And Blue and Emotional Rescue unless they add live material to some of them or only add alternate takes and not completely new songs. I suppose they could add a live show to a Super Deluxe Edition of Tattoo You from when they were touring to promote the album.

2. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I agree it could go either way and to not hold our breath until we know more. My gut says it will be akin to Exile and Sticky and Some Girls deluxe sets. Would love a remix if done properly but don't see that happening. And I hope Mick doesn't put vocals on ''Separately" which is fantastic how it is just needs a clean up. And some of Mick Taylor's guitar playing on already heard outtakes is superb, but can see them wiping some of it out and over dubbing new guitar tracks. There is a ton of songs they could use, 73 live shows, 73 video but I just don't think it will all happen how we want. Which is ok as the boots are fantastic anyways. With Silver Train being used in the new tour video, my guess is this will be out in the summer and not xmas.

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would not like it at all if they were to wipe Taylor's parts and have Woody record them assuming they add outtakes.

4. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Sadly, no show from '73 was filmed in its entirety.

All Down The Line and btltez like this.
  5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They own the outtakes for this - I can't see this being similar to the ABKCO reissues.

6. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Great news, can't wait for this! Without doubt my favourite Stones album, highlighted by Mick Taylor's inimitable guitar work. '100 years ago' is so damn good - the standout track for me. I'm expecting something similar to what they did with Sticky Fingers and Exile. Multiple formats including, I hope, a 2- or 3- disc vinyl version with out-takes.

7. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Hopefully, along with stuff we haven't yet heard, we will get clean copies of these...

Fast Talking
    You Should Have Seen Her ... (or whatever it's really called)
    Criss Cross
    Separately
    Through The Lonely Nights (Already on Rarities, but would still be nice if they included it)

And from '74:
    Drift Away
    Living In The Heart of Love

Sean, Hep Alien and steelinYaThighs like this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It still doesn't mean they can't muck it up somehow like wiping Taylor's guitar parts for example.

9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I kind of doubt they would include that as they did not include Everything's Turning To Gold on the Some Girls Deluxe Edition.

vudicus likes this.
  10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Agreed.
    No matter how pleased I am with the archive stuff they put out, there's always missed opportunities.

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I'd settle for those. If they add outtakes, they might also add some alternate takes.

12. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

GHS is the type of boxset they could market, to include book , 7inch vinyl, poster and all that stuff. Like Sticky Fingers , zipper on the book , 2LP etc.

13. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

:D:D:D
    I agree with this, John—and in this instance, I hope that I’m wrong! ;)—but I just don’t envision them giving Deluxe treatment to B&B or RESCUE.

If I’m wrong on this, I’m ok with that! :)

- siyt

All Down The Line, Sean and vudicus like this.
  14. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

There has been talk in the past of a deluxe Tattoo You.
    I'd be more inclined to think that any outtakes from those albums would be used for that.
    There's tons of great material from the Emotional Rescue sessions that needs an official release.

Sean, Hep Alien, bonus and 2 others like this.
  15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I can't imagine they would do that. If Ronnie added anything, I don't think they'd wipe Taylor's parts to do it.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would hope not but we already know from Andy Johns that Keith was not adverse to wiping Taylor's guitar parts. In addition, Jagger supposedly did not tell Keith that he invited Taylor to overdub on the Exile bonus tracks.

17. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I know man. Me neither. But you know how they can be lol

steelinYaThighs likes this.
  18. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I know but there's enough to put something good together. The magic of editing!

19. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

yeah like the extended Winter with Mick Taylor just taking you there...dang

20. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

EXACTLY why I said what I said. It is not unheard of.

steelinYaThighs and John Fell like this.
  21. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

An Atmos mix would be delightful.

KEENLY1, JakeM and ReelStone like this.
  22. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

You may get overdubs, and you will certainly get loudness.

steelinYaThighs and Carlox like this.
  23. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

Agreed with what others said: no wiping of any of Tails' parts for any reason. If'n They want to add things--whether it's guitar parts from Keef or Woody, or "Old Man Jagger" vocals--I'd be ok with that, but not at the expense of wiping anything Tails put down with them--he, too, is a massive part of that album since he was working more frequently and more intensely (one-on-one level) with The Commander as this was when Keef really started allowing his personal indulgences to supersede his focus on the music. Keef, at least, contributed three major components to Soup: that badass riff that makes up "Dancing with Mr. D" (whatever one thinks of the lyrics, that riff is bulletproof!); his deeply moving lead vocal on "Coming Down Again" (probably my favorite Keef lead vocal); and last but not least, that fun, salacious, and totally afterhours nod to Chuck Berry and the trials and tribulations of early 70s rock 'n rollers in "Star F&cker."* I don't have a problem with any of the Lads--past or present--but one thing I've noticed is that lots of people are quick to forget: Tails isn't always the "lead licks" pointman; Keef can carry those duties just fine as he does on the Soup closer.

*I cannot and will not acknowledge that silly "Star Star" title Ahmet requested. Normally, he's on the money, but not with that little bunny foo-foo pseudonym.

- siyt

24. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Perhaps there will be a recipe for the soup in the deluxe edition....:hide:

Spot778 and ARK like this.
  25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Not to derail the thread, but this boot might point the way for a deluxe Tattoo You:

The Rolling Stones - Tattoo Too