Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mbrownp1, Feb 6, 2020.

1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Personally, I would rather have some new songs rather than just alternate takes of album tracks unless there are significant differences in the versions.

2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nooooooooo! I don't need that!

It now strikes me that they do simply refer to it as a "reissue" in the article.

Sean, steelinYaThighs and John Fell like this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Here is the original mock up concept for the album cover by Hipgnosis.

4. All,I can say is I hope it is remastered better than the other deluxe editions of the 70’s which sound like ****.

marcb, sonnyrock, The Gomper and 2 others like this.
  5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

It could just be a 2 disc re issue like Some Girls and Exile deluxe re issues but we are guaranteed to get some bonus material or the label wouldn’t bothered reissuing it, would like original demo’s or sessions rather than added vocals but the 2nd disc of Some Girls deluxe is great so it mightn’t be that bad, still hoping for some type of deluxe set though with a book, and the hope for a deluxe 2 LP would be nice.

6. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

From your lips to The Gods’ Ears on the “guarantee for bonus material.”

- siyt

Davido and Carl80 like this.
  7. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Well that’s what I’m hoping but I’d be surprised if something doesn’t fill a second disc, weather it’s any good is another matter I suppose but it’s GHS so it will be bought anyway.

8. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

Jah Is Not Dead!

9. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

So now that I know the "how," I guess the question is "Why did they even consider that for the cover photo?" Such an odd, WTF? image. Definitely memorable, though (I guess I answered my own question!)...

Zack likes this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This one has been rumored for quite some time, looks like it is finally happening. A reissue of Brussels seems like an obvious contender for bonus content, although it would be nice to see some alternative songs not officially released via the Google download and Japanese CD releases. I suspect there will be some studio outtakes, hopefully more in line with what they did with the Sticky Fingers box set (i.e. not reworked with contemporary era vocals and instrumentation). Looking forward to seeing the track-listing.

11. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

Agree but let me get the vinyl and any book and whatever else. Too often lately the hardback book element of big releases has been saved for so called super deluxe boxes with no vinyl.

Dream would be for me

1 vinyl ghs newly remastered all analogue (I know never gonna happen)
    2 vinyl live album (Brussels or otherwise but a complete show plz)
    3 vinyl outtakes and alternates (now new overdubs)
    4 big hardback book full of tape boxes and photos etc

fingers crossed.

12. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I'm in, I just hope its not new overdubs like Exile and extreme loudness.

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

That cover art reminds of a Roger Daltrey 70s solo album...that's horrid.

14. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I know it’s awful, glad they didn’t go with that one, really like the art for GHS, glad they made that choice.

15. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Hopefully IORR will be next...it's in desperate need of a remix. Talk about stiff.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I guess you all know that the reason Mick overdubs vocals for these archive releases is that there seldom are any vocals on the old outtakes. Or just a vowel scratch vocal...nyaaaahhhn wowahhh jayyyyehh.
    No?

17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Well, the Some Girls outtakes all had vocals that Mick replaced. But even then, I see no problem with it. This is a band that is still vital, nearly fifty years after these GHS outtakes were first done. This isn't Keith Richards doing a duet with a hologram of Chuck Berry or Mick Jagger getting the Royal Philharmonic to overdub Time Is On My Side. This is a band finally getting around to finish some old tracks.

With Some Girls, they reached a bit beyond the scope of the sessions for stuff like We Had It All (recorded a year after Some Girls was originally released!) and Tallahassee Lassie. Similarly, tracks used for the Exile bonus disc date back more to the Sticky Fingers sessions, although that's a bit harder to define. Anyway, point is, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull out later material from the IORR sessions, or maybe even earlier stuff. Perhaps we could get a finished version of Travelling Man!

It'd be great if they could revisit the 80's. There's gotta be enough material to make a killer bonus disc that could at least rival Undercover and Dirty Work.

18. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The original “nyaaaahhhn wowahhh jayyyyehh” would be better IMO, as most of his lyrics were unintelligible anyway. :laugh:

groundharp, bobcat, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  19. duggan

duggan Senior Member

GHS is one album that could maybe justify a complete revisionist re production; overdubs, track selection, sequencing, mix and mastering etc.

Maybe titled “Goats Head Soup re dressed”.

On the proviso of course that the original album stays in print.

Rickchick likes this.
  20. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I would prefer that it’s not new Mick vocals against GHS era backing tracks, but there is a pattern here. That said, out of the majority of legacy artists, Mick’s voice has held up pretty well.

21. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I truly wish they'd just release the outtakes as is, and maybe make the rerecordings available on some other set/downloads I guess.

groundharp, Hep Alien and Muggles like this.
  22. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

Wow - that’s no bueno. Not a good look for Taylor.

groundharp, chickendinna and BlueJay like this.
  23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

No neither would I. I just wish they left the stuff alone at this point in time and release as is. Tattoo You has them working on older tracks but 72 to 81 is only 9 years and in my opinion the band is still the Rolling Stones. In my opinion since 1989 when they came back to live work it is a whole different thing. Adding stuff to tracks done in the 70s is now 40 years later! Sorry folks but like the Springsteen overdubbed redone outtakes eg Fire on The Promise these re recordings are some kind of Frankenstein monster! I don't listen much to the Exile and Some Girls bonus discs.
    I do wish they all did a Dylan and just put it out as is.
    On a more positive note and contradicting everything above I am glad they are doing a live Silver Train (always a favourite song/performance) these days!

24. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Id settle for a decent remaster of the original album

duggan likes this.
  25. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

Do you think there's a chance they will put the original versions of Waiting On A Friend and Tops in the deluxe edition or will they be saved for the Tattoo You deluxe?

All Down The Line and Hep Alien like this.