God, system pretty loud is GOOD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tone?, Nov 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

Allan Shaw once quoted that Tannoys only sound good on ear-shattering volume level.

Yeah!

90 to 95 dB sound absolutely fantastic, goes under the skin
    This is max. 5 Watts for the amp ... let it loose :p

WithinYourReach, russk and Tone? like this.
  2. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

The whole reason I moved to a detached bungalow in the 80s

- was to be able to play the music LOUD.
    When the boss is away the volume does lift a little, db occasionally well into the 90s
    :)

3. russk

russk Forum Resident

Absolutely. One of the reasons I like tone controls and horn speakers is for listening at low volumes. If all my listening could be done at 80 to 85db. I would actual preferred completely different speakers.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I hope you guys aren't using mobile phone apps to measure db. I've tried a few of them and they were all *way* off compared to one those analog units you could get at Radioshack. When I see people say they're rocking out at 75 db, I have to wonder?

5. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

This is why I like Denon/Audyssey Dynamic EQ. It's like a smart loudness button for getting fuller sound at lower volumes.

Tone? likes this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wore ear plugs.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

When you guys post DB levels, is that the level at the listening position? Is it the average level? Or is it the peak level?

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

From listening position and it is the average level. I use a radio shack spl meter.

WithinYourReach likes this.
  9. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Wow, Judging by what I’m reading here I must like it REALLY loud. I’ve always tried to live where music playback is a priority.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    WithinYourReach and Gibsonian like this.
  10. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident Thread Starter

listening position always ear level

11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

When my wife ain't home, I'm a blasting the tunes..... :cheers:

boboquisp likes this.
  12. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Has anyone cranked The Trinity Session by Cowboy Junkies? Got bass? :)

And my system does not do this recording justice. Carver Amazing Silver MK4 (83 dB sensitivity, Innersound iPower 750 on one and ESL 800 on the other, Arcam C30 balanced out set at max +8dB and I have the volume at 72/72. It is about time to rotate in a few Schiit headphone pres used as stereo pres at high gain setting.

I believe some of the bass/warmth (in addition to the amazing acoustics of the church of course) is from the air flow/positive pressure from warm air coming out the heating vents.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  13. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

We in the UK invariably live too close to our neighbours ,and are too polite, to play music loud.

Even if you live in a detached house with big grounds, bass noise can still be audible a long way down the street.Nothing worse that hearing a distant repetitive bass note.

Roycer, Andy Saunders and forthlin like this.
  14. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

Were the phone apps reading a lower number than the analog units?

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I don't listen to ANYTHING under 80-85 dbs (phone app, A-weighted, peak) Welcome to the wonderful world of Fletcher&Munson; doubt returning to your previos listening levels will satisfy you anymore:cheers:

Bingo Bongo, SandAndGlass and Tone? like this.
  16. Tone?

Ha nah man. It does still satisfy me.
    sometimes I’m actually not in the mood for that ‘ perfect sound’ if that makes sense
    More casual listening is nice many times.
    I’m very aware as a guitarist of the fletcher Munson curve.
    We actually have attenuators for guitar amps to bring the sound of a 100watt Marshall head which sounds amazing on 10 to bedroom volumes. Thing is that you then get the fletcher Munson effect and most attenuators now have an eq to compensate for those freq at lower volumes.
    So yeah very aware of that for years.
    I have two attenuators for my 100 watt plexi amp that does that.

it’s a very real effect.

SandAndGlass and The Pinhead like this.
  17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Way lower. I just put on an old Bloodrock LP and I'm getting two completely different readings. The Radioshack SPL is mostly reading in the upper 70s while the phone app is staying in the 50 db range with phrases under the readings that say "quiet library", "quiet office" "mosquito" and "whisper". I'm hardly rocking out, but I think it would be difficult to have a normal conversation next to you while the music is playing. Using my Radioshack, when I play music loud, I usually hit peaks of 90d-but not for long periods of time and that's only hitting peaks. I just cranked the music up some more and the app hit the 60s with phrases like "conversation". No way would I want to be in the same room with someone who talks that loud. So some of you who are getting readings saying you're hitting peaks of 80, might be going well over 90 in reality.

18. Tone?

Which phone app are you using?
    There are some which don’t take into account low frequencies.
    Try SPL meter by studio six and have it in C weighting.
    It’s pretty accurate.

mackat likes this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I live in a detached house. I opened the windows, turned up the system as loud as I would listen, and walked to the property line. I could barely hear my system. A car going by on the street totally drowned it out. With windows closed there is virtually no sound at the property line. My house is properly insulated. My room is acoustically treated as well. My wife said the system is designed so that the music stays inside the room.

SandAndGlass and Roycer like this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

And that would be really loud.

21. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Yep wives don’t understand this. I get accused of going deaf...

22. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

:D

23. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I agree. This is yet another reason to stay with the more melodic bass players when blasting!;)

enfield and Tone? like this.
  24. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

Thanks for the info, that’s really important to know! I never put too much faith into the phone apps, but at least now I know to trust them even less.

25. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

The volume I listen to music changes throughout the day with the afternoon being loudest and in the evening I turn down the volume.

My listening dBs are from the high 70s up to peaks of 110+ dBs at my listening position. With no distortion you don't realize just how loud the music gets.

Like I told an audio buddy, it's like the difference between driving 100 MPH in a Mercedes and doing the same speed in a Miata - the Miata will feel faster and in the Merc you hardly feel it.

I have no neighbors close by and I'm single so I can turn it up to any volume I want at any time of the day or night.

There is a volume at which my speakers really open up and become 3D - it's when I put out enough volume to 'power up the room' - and it is pretty impressive as my audio buddies have come to realize, one saying that he can't believe how much sound is coming from 'relatively' small speakers.

I don't listen to LPs or CDs - I listen to the BAND playing in my room!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.