Godfather of Harlem

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chazro, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

With all the Buzz happening around the new Scorcese/DeNiro/Pacino movie I'm a little surprised that this one hasn't been mentioned around here yet! The Godfather of Harlem is based on the true story of Bumpy Johnson. A movie; Hoodlum, has already been made telling this tale but let's face it, we love a good mob story, how many movies have been made about old Scarface!?;) the series has some serious pedigree among its cast; Forest Whitaker, Vincent D'Onofrio, Giancarlo Esposito, Chazz Palmintieri, Paul Sorvino, and many other recognizable faces. Unfortunately, its on the Epix cable network so I'm guessing its audience will be limited. Mid 60's, classic Italian mob families, the politics, Malcolm X, the Black Mob, I'm all in!!!;) ANYONE that's interested in 'The Irishman' should be be equally into this!

2. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

great cast but how are the first episodes ?

dmiller458 likes this.
  3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Watched it and so far they're 3 for 3.

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I watched the first episode last night and liked it very much. I don't usually enjoy gangster movies, but this one is working for me so far. Some rather graphic sex and violence for those who are easily offended.

By the way, Amazon Prime has it--that's where I'm watching it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  5. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Difficult to go wrong with that cast.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agreed! With an ensemble this gifted, every scene seems special. It's such a pleasure to watch these guys work!

7. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

excellent

8. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

‘American gangster’ was a good film, with a bit of Bumpy in it.

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I was only able to watch the first 2 episodes via Amazon Prime--starting with the 3rd I had to subscribe to Epix. They offer a 7-day trial, which I could cancel, but I opted not to finish. I don't recall seeing any fine print about the limited viewing, and it infuriates me that Amazon did it.

10. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

The actor playing Malcolm X is just killing it, as is D’Onofrio as Gigante. Whitaker smolders as Bumpy Johnson. Multiple conflicts but easy to follow. Esposito is as slick as his hair as Adam Clayton Powell Jr. They are taking liberties with history, but what series doesn’t? Hoping to complete season one before the second season starts.

carrick doone, wayneklein and tonyc like this.
  11. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Love it, when will it be back on?

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

too bad Netflix isn't showing this...sounds great!

13. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I had an Epix free preview this weekend and did a binge watch of the first nine episodes. I'm glad I did. The middle episodes started to smack you in the face with their message but still plenty there to recommend it. Agree with Ken E. that the actor playing Malcolm X is killing it.

I have the Season 1 finale and Season 2 premiere left to watch and then I will be back the next time I can get it on demand.

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Started out ok, then the modern music ruined it for me

15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I had heard that this show has a lot of gratuitous violence and sex?

16. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Low on the sex compared to "Outlander", I don't find the violence gratuitous or 'Peckinpah-ish'.
    On hiatus now until August or September.

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Yes I was confusing it with another show. We watched Ep 1 and looks like a winner.

18. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

Liked season one flaws and all, only seen episode 1 so far of season 2.

19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Just finished season 1. Thoroughly enjoying this one.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks to Hulu now showing Season One, I'm hooked.
    Not about to subscribe to Epix for 10 hours of viewing though ( Season Two ),
    and Season Three hasn't been decided on yet.

Something I've never seen up to now though : no physical media presence whatsoever.

Shawn likes this.
  21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I'm halfway through Season 2 on a binge watch. Just as good as Season 1. A very impressive series.

Shawn likes this.
  22. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Renewed for Season 3.

23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Can't wait to find out what happens to Malcolm X. Seriously a very good show with excellent acting.

Shawn and tonyc like this.
  24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Season 2 now on Hulu.

25. Season 3 so far is great (two episodes in). There’s a change in actors for the Malcolm X role - for seasons 1 and 2 it was Nigél Thatch, now for season 3 it’s Jason Alan Carvell. Too bad - Nigél was fantastic in the role so I’m sad to see him go.