Godzilla 2014.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Oct 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Loved the 2014 film. Really enjoyed it.

2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

In one of the interviews with Cranston he said that he had never had a chance to participate in one of these huge SFX tentpoles and Godzilla gave him a chance to do that while still being a minimal time investment. And he was well paid.

3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Apparently they're planning a Godzilla 2 for release in 2018, followed by a remake of King Kong vs. Godzilla in 2020.... which apparently is meant to tie-in with the upcoming Kong sequel Skull Island in 2017. :cool:

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

is this better on bluray?...the DVD looks like S&^t...

5. Michael

I hope it's better! Godzilla was a guest star in the 2014....

D-rock likes this.
  6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I think the BD looks great.

Michael likes this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Meanwhile, Toho is releasing Godzilla Resurgence in July of this year.

Maybe the two Godzilla franchises will meet in a team-up movie in the future.

8. Michael

THANKS...

9. The Hud

10. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Still not watched tha New Godzilla.. ..will catch it @some point.. Where's MechaGodzilla n tha other Monsters nowadays?...

11. Michael

12. The Hud

I remember Pacific Rim being darker in the theater than Godzilla. The BD for Pacific Rim is a much better viewing experience than it was in the theater.

Michael likes this.
  13. His screen time wasn't too far off from what it was in many of the 1960's films.

Rocker likes this.
  14. Michael

that's good to know as I was thinking of picking this up.

15. The Hud

The BD is still dark, but you can at least see what is going on.

Michael likes this.
  16. Michael

yes, that's what I figured...DVD is pretty bad in the dark scenes.

The Hud likes this.
  17. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Noticed that Godzilla (2014) is on Netflix ... I recall liking it in the cinema but gawd it's awful on a second viewing (at least the first 30 or so minutes ... dunno if I want to keep watching).

--Geoff

18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That's awesome news.... it's been a long wait since the last proper Toho entry in the series (2004's Final Wars). :)

19. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I said the same thing a while back.... but you know how A.D.D.-ish today's audiences are. :p

Shawn likes this.
  20. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

scobb likes this.
  21. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I'm interested to see a second Pacific Rim movie but another Godzilla...nah. Was totally underwhelmed by the 2014 version. A totally flat movie.

Plan9 likes this.
  22. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I liked 2014 Godzilla a lot.

If one did not like Godzilla "lighting up" the first time in that film, and breathing fire down that MUTO's throat, then I doubt one was a Godzilla fan to begin with.

I think the first one was solid (which is what was needed after Godzilla (1998). I think the next one will knock it out of the park. It is supposed to be a Destroy All Monsters type film. Monsters everywhere. That is what we Godzilla fans have been wanting, and I think they are going to give it to us. Then followed by King Kong vs. Godzilla? Like.

The only major complaint I had with Godzilla (2014), was the design of Godzilla. I wanted his head to look more reptilian, and the body not so bulky.

BeatleJWOL, The Hud, Rocker and 3 others like this.
  23. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I re-watched it recently and still have basically the same view. The flaws (clunky cliche-ridden script, somnambulant lead, pacing issues when the monsters aren't on screen, etc) of this film are essentially the same flaws as many of the old Godzilla movies...and 50s/60s monster flicks in general. So for some odd reason it actually felt authentic. :laugh:

Despite the fact they hired the same screenwriter (ugh) for the next film I'm still feeling cautiously optimistic about it. The filmmakers will have paid close attention to the tepid reaction of the first film and they'll work overtime to remedy that for the sequel. With Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah already slated to appear it's obviously going to be more action-oriented to appease all the people whining about Godzilla screen-time. Could be fun.

Luke The Drifter and Shawn like this.
  24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'm bemused if not confused that the Japanese film culture could have birthed directors like Ozu and Misoguchi - some of the most sublime and subtle in all of cinema. And also... Godzilla and Monsters of Mass Destruction. I sort of wish someone would have let Ozu direct a Godzilla movie once.

Plan9 likes this.
  25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

You want another Pacific Rim... but *not* a Godzilla follow-up? :confused: :crazy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.