Godzilla-King of the Monsters .2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Ghidrah is still the best monster they ever created. I saw the original in the theatre in 1965. They always need a gang of monsters to gang up on him. No one beats Ghidrah one on one!

2. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Godzilla doesn't look right if he doesn't have some meat on him. This is a toy from the 2014 version that has him much skinnier in his upper half...it just looks off.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Looks more natural here, IMO

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Have you seen Mecha-Ghidrah? Pretty cool as well!

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I dunno. The new look is a little goofy to me.

[​IMG]

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Someone's gotta take donw the Patriots a notch. Let's see how long Brady and his underinflated football stands up to Big G.

Go on, throw some chowder at him. See how that works.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  7. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

It must be Godzilla because Boston knows the Big G sure as hell doesn't mean Green Bay.

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Very true. That's what happens when you build a franchise around one player.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the night fighting is a drag, but I guess it hides some flaws...

Vidiot and PTgraphics like this.
  10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Loved Godzilla movies as kid and enjoyed the reboot. This looks like a total blast. Can't wait!!! Bring on King Kong next!

PTgraphics likes this.
  11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Where did this come from? lol/

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I think I might actually go to the theatre for this one!

13. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I love monster movies - saw and enjoyed the recent Kong and Godzilla movies - but this one looks a bit silly to me. It probably fits within the existing Godzilla lore but even so ... a bit silly.

I'll probably go see it anyway because it's giant frickin' monsters, man.

--Geoff

SandAndGlass and rontoon like this.
  14. OK, the upcoming film is getting a PG-13 rating due to:

"sequences of monster action, violence, and destruction, and for some language"

That is awesome, I had no idea that 'monster action' is a defining feature for a PG-13 rating :D

The soundtrack will also feature a cover of Blue Oyster Cult's 'Godzilla':

15. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

Can’t wait for this one. I’ve liked Godzilla since I was a kid. My kids age 6 & 9, also love Godzilla. We have all the DVD’s, and we watch them quite frequently.

16. I was talking to someone about this film the other day, and they were going on about the cast. No one goes to see a Godzilla movie due to the casting! Godzilla? Check. Kaiju monster villain #1? Check. Bonus Kaiju villain #2? Check. Human fodder? Check. That's all you need.

17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Raymond Burr would be cool, but not exactly possible,

18. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It's a fortunate thing that they didn't have a PG-13 rating for movies on TV when we were in elementary school. we probably couldn't watch Creature Feature, Saturday afternoons.

Shawn likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Academy makes a lotta crap up just to fit a few words in the box on TV commercials and posters. The general rule is, any film that has violence gets a PG; any on-screen deaths gets a PG-13. If the deaths get very gory (close-ups of eyes punctured, tongues ripped out, heads crushed), then it gets an R. And so on. They've been vague and evasive for years as to how the rating process works and how points are accumulated, and they won't provide written reports explaining the reasons why a movie gets an R vs. a PG-13 or a PG-13 vs. a PG -- but a spokesman does have a phone call with the filmmakers to give them a verbal explanation. Every rating costs $5000; if you ask them to watch a revised version to get a new rating, it's another $5000.

I think a PG-13 for Godzilla is about right, based on what I've seen in the trailers. I'm curious if it'll do well or not. I'm in the "hey, I've already seen this movie five times" category.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thankfully one film to miss this year. :D

21. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I think you have to have a PG rating for a Godzilla movie or you won't get the kids. Kids are drawn to Godzilla like moths to a flame. Those of us who still love Kaiju in our old age are usually people who grew up with the stuff. I just saw the first Godzilla movie in this series and I liked it but it was all about the monster fights, and they seem to have understood that for this sequel. I just hope the next one isn't so GD Dark! Why film scenes where no one can see what is going on? I would think in the age of CGI it is no longer necessary to hide your flaws in the shadows.

Also just saw Shin Godzilla - a thinking man's kaiju - a nice bookend to Ishiro Honda's original I thought.

Shawn likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

I was thinking about the "it's been done before thing", but then I got to thinking, your supposed to have lots of Godzilla movies, that is the fun of it!

I'm looking forward to this one! It will be the first official summer matinee fun movie.

GODZILLA: KING OF THE MONSTERS, is rated PG-13, just like Jurassic Park was. Most parents are not going to be that upset about a PG-13 rating in a monster movie. Today, if you want to make a good monster movie, heavy on the CGI, then you are going to need an on-screen death or two.

What good is a monster movie if the monster doesn't eat people?

rontoon and The Hud like this.
  23. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Preach on brother! Preach on!

SandAndGlass and Shawn like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

You see exactly what I mean.

Here comes Godzilla, stomping into town, pounding his feet, making horrible noises, breathing fire and knocking big pieces of buildings off with his tail.

But then so what?

If he doesn't stomp on and eat a few people, who cares?

People are going to stop eating their lunch at sidewalk cafe's and say, "oh look!, here comes Godzilla stomping through town again".

Then they will go back to eating their lunch...

25. For those in Lis Angeles, it looks like The Egyptian theater will be showing a bunch of Toho Godzilla films the weekend before the new film’s premiere. I don’t have details yet but hoping it’s gonna he pretty cool.

Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.