Godzilla-King of the Monsters .2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Agreed. King Kong 1933 has plenty of violence against people and it is great! Kong eats people, steps on people, throws people, drops people off of skyscrapers, etc.

2. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

"some language" ? Does that mean the monsters talk out their problems after fighting?

rontoon, SandAndGlass and Shawn like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There could be human characters yelling, "oh ****! Godzilla is about to step on us! Holy **********, what the **** are we going to do now, you *******?"

SandAndGlass, Shawn and numer9 like this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This one actually looks good from the trailer. I dunno. CGI is so damn good now that all you need is the right director. This one looks good.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The director is in charge of choosing the storyboards, the shots and angles that tell the story, and coordinates creating the CG effects. In other words, the director is often involved literally years before the effects are finished. Some directors are extremely hands-on with even the subtlest details going on in VFX shots (and editing and color and sound).

Ghostworld and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. ElevatorSkyMovie

In Japanese, please.

mrjinks likes this.
  7. ElevatorSkyMovie

So this is a guy in a rubber suit in front of a green screen, yes?

8. As admittedly the odd person out, I'd prefer that!

James Slattery likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Don't pick on guy's in rubber suits, that is the tradition of Godzilla movies.

What ruined the 1998 Godzilla movie is this huge monster, who moves so fast that he keeps disappearing.

A big Godzilla type lizard just does not do this!

Shawn and Ghostworld like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The one with Bryan Cranston was a snooze as Godzilla was under-used. Iget the feeling this may be a stay-focused-on-the-monster pic — Destroy All Monsters variety — which would be more fun.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. ElevatorSkyMovie

I would rather watch the cartoon from the '80s with Godzuki.

12. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

No, CGI.

rontoon likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You mean there are Godzilla rules?

Cranston was interviewed by Howard Stern a few months after his Godzilla movie came out, and he said that he tried very hard to make his character a much bigger part of the story and have him die at the end, but they had already made the "creative decision" to kill him off early in the film. Cranston admitted he took the money, which was the biggest check he'd ever received in his career, but was not happy with the movie.

14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

It wouldn't be the first Godzilla movie where the monsters "talk" to each other! (see Godzilla vs Gigan) ;)

PTgraphics and rontoon like this.
  15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Godzilla's origins were a man in a rubber suit, lumbering along as he created a path of destruction through the countryside.

Here was the latest Godzilla, which was not a terrible movie overall, and you have Godzilla in a downtown urban environment, surrounded by nothing but city blocks and skyscrapers.

Even monster movies have to somehow relate to the real world.

Here is Godzilla moving so fast he keeps disappearing, it does not work.

What if we had a remake of Frankenstein and he moved like a vampire in Twilight? It just doesn't work.

Otherwise, we don't have horror story monster's, we have Marvel Comic monster's, which have all kinks of powers and can do anything.

Do we really need a King Kong who moves at light speed and emits destructive energy beams from his eyes?

mr. steak likes this.
  16. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Going to see this tonight...will let you know what I think.

Go-Go-Godzilla

SandAndGlass, Shawn and The Hud like this.
  17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's getting panned, horrible reviews. Humorless and too dark. The fight scenes may be spectacular but spectacle alone does not make a movie good.

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Don't really care about the Godzilla franchise. But I read the primary reason King Kong got so much bigger in Skull Island is because his next movie is to co-feature Godzilla. I hope the stench of the lizards latest failure doesn't carry over into the big ape's next pic. I DO care about the Kong franchise!;)

rontoon likes this.
  19. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

My favorite creature in the Godzilla Universe is Rodan :hide:. That’s the one I saw, new, in the theater. In the previews for this film, he looks so majestic! At least in these quick shots, weight, physics, movement look very good.

20. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

I'm also a big Rodan fan and I was disappointed how he kind of faded away by the early 70s. Ghidrah is the best though, which is why it always takes multiple monsters to gang up in order to defeat him. Plus in 1965 that was the first movie I was actually able to get my father to take me to that I wanted to see and not him.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

And the fact it looked nothing like Godzilla. Godzilla has to look like Godzilla

SandAndGlass and Alan G. like this.
  24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I doubt any of the original Godzilla movies (except the first Japanese one) would receive a positive critical review. But they are still beloved by audiences.

I looked at some of the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. The critics have a problem with the character and plot, but concede the Kaiju action is amazing. No offense critics, but that is the entire point of a Godzilla movie. Just like martial arts flicks. You do not not go to a Godzilla film for the "story". It sounds like Godzilla fans are very happy with this one.

25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are currently 45% rotten. Read the reviews by professional critics, they all just about say the same thing. Bad story, great effects but too dark (some comparing it to the big battle on GOT).

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.