Godzilla-King of the Monsters .2019

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is there a plot to any previous Godzilla film that you find intellectual?

SandAndGlass, Matthew Tate and RK2249 like this.
  2. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

But the Marvel films were intellectually compelling films worthy of your time, huh?

SandAndGlass and amonjamesduul like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

They had internal consistency, compelling characters and emotional weight.

They also had some excellent acting and great moments of humor.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  4. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

To you. I found most of them annoying and boring after a while. But I don't go around stating my opinion as a matter of fact.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

First one seemed pretty reasonable. Monster is awakened and creates huge chaos and destruction.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

A valid point. My apologies for doing so. I should have prefaced what I'd say that with in my opinion.

ElevatorSkyMovie and RK2249 like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

It's not my intention to hijack this thread within discussion about the Marvel films.

I also didn't pay to see Godzilla because I was hoping it would be a terrible movie, it just turned out to be one.

rikki nadir likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

There was a hint of that. Maybe they'll be a director's cut where we can see Godzilla and Monster X getting it on.

9. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

In MY opinion, everything stated on this board IS an opinion unless you state what you’re saying as : FACT. Stating your views on a piece of art or film is opinion.

You have nothing to apologize for.

rikki nadir and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Thank you.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

While I agree with you that every post here should be considered the poster's opinion unless otherwise stated, things can be stated in a way to not tweak someone's nose.

Poster 1: "I like x." (movie, album, artist, whatever the subject of the thread)
    Poster 2: "X is very very stupid." (movie, album, whatever)

Not the best forum etiquette, (in my opinion, of course.) And I'm not one of those who are offended or a victim of every little thing. Yet, we can be more decent to one another when disagreeing.

RK2249 and GodShifter like this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Fair enough. I still don’t think @Chris DeVoe has to preface anything with “in my opinion”. He obviously thought the movie was stupid. Reading the plot it sounds stupid. I don’t see how an honest assessment from one person’s perspective gets people’s panties in a twist (not talking about you). Could we all be more magnanimous? Sure, but we can’t all be shrinking violets, either.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Chris DeVoe and dewey02 like this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

so please apologize for apologizing :laugh:

15. Chris DeVoe

My wife complains that I apologize too much. I bump into a table and I apologize.

rikki nadir and GodShifter like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No worry in being polite. We all should be. I’m 6’3 250 with a mountain man beard, crazy hair and I always try to be nice. Am I always? No, but do try. It’s good to have people like you in the world. Don’t change, man.

rikki nadir, Shawn and Chris DeVoe like this.
  17. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident Thread Starter

The question is will there still be Marvel movies after 60 years?Godzilla does not care what his critics think,he has outlived many humans in the real world.

Karnak likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Godzilla v King Kong?

Please. Last I checked Kong is a giant ape. Godzilla is a fire breathing nuclear reactor.

19. Crowes72

Crowes72 Forum Resident

I just got back from seeing it. Was it a good movie? I'm leaving my critic hat at the door for this one since I love almost everything Godzilla. Gareth Edwards tried for the hyper realistic Godzilla film, and while I enjoyed it, there's no way to do a Destroy All Monsters type of Godzilla movie while trying to keep that same tone. To me at least. I felt like this one really embraced the 70's Godzilla era "B" movie formula but with better effects and a pretty good cast. I had a ton of fun with it. So great to hear some of the classic Godzilla music from the older films.

Shawn, chrischerm and RK2249 like this.
  20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Just got back from seeing this. Went to a late show, so there were only about a dozen people in the theater (only 2 or 3 of whom stuck around for post-credits scene... WTF is wrong with people?)

Anyway, I enjoyed it and thought it was a worthy follow-up to the 2014 film. I appreciated the nods to the older films (eg. the use of an "oxygen destroyer"; the re-worked musical cues for Godzilla and Mothra), and of course the monster battles were intense and exciting. Didn't care too much about the human characters, but that's pretty typical for the genre. As a long-time Godzilla fan, I knew basically what to expect, and the movie certainly delivered. Definitely worth a look if you're a fan of the series, or just want to see some giant monsters duking it out.

In regards to the post-credits scene, my guess is...
    They're planning to use the salvaged head of Ghidorah to create a Mecha-Ghidorah
    or something along those lines ;)

Sammy Banderas, Shawn and RK2249 like this.
  21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Also, I felt like there was a ton of buildup around Mothra, but then she wasn't really given very much to do. Would've liked to see her play a more significant role, especially during the final battle.

JohnBR, Shawn and RK2249 like this.
  22. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

First of all I didn't get my panties in a bunch because he disagreed with my opinion or thought the movie was stupid. I went into a fairly detailed explanation on why I liked the movie and the only thing that was being offered in return was that it was stupid, it was stupid, it was stupid. Now if you don't think that someone need apologize for going into a thread about a movie that he clearly didn't like and just repeating at nauseum that he thought it was stupid without offering anything to really back it up with, that's your opinio. I however took his apology at face value and was done with it... until you decided to post.

23. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Thinking about it, you are at least partially correct.

I love Godzilla movies - meaning that I think the original is fantastic in both versions, and I greatly enjoy the sixties and seventies movies. I will also watch the ones that came after, including the so-called 'Hollywood Versions' from 1998 onwards - I have seen each of those at least three times. I will also no doubt see the latest several times in one format or other.

What I was struggling with was devoting time and resources to see Godzilla KOTM immediately on the big screen. I was all set to go, but decided to have a look at a few on-line discussions to confirm my decision. The board member I quoted is one whose opinion I have read and respected on music-related threads - I value his opinion. That was enough to come down comfortably on the side of a decision (you are correct) I might already have made but needed something to 'run with' in order to justify my suspicions (which are based on UK newspaper reviews and watching the trailers).

As Jean-Paul Sartre said, it is bad faith to defer a decision until consulting someone else, because the someone else to whom you choose to listen before deciding has already been chosen by you, and if their views were not what you were expecting then you have the luxury of rejecting them.

What I would query in your post is your dismissive 'Makes sense'. Why would it make sense to you, given you reject my conclusion, and have not asked for more information about how I came to it ('Sorry, I don't get this - please explain')?

Incidentally, I look forward to telling my academic colleagues on Monday that there is a discussion on internet debate courtesy and reading dispositional states of mind they should check out. I can forward them the link, explaining it is on a music discussion board within a debate about Godzilla - King Of The Monsters. That is if the Modzillas don't see fit to enjoin.

A reputation for eccentricity has to be constantly refreshed, in my view.

I don't know if it helps, but I would also not invest five pounds and ninety-minutes-plus-travel-time to see Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla in the cinema, which (in my opinion only having seen one of the two) the movie currently being discussed seems to resemble in terms of quality and critical reception, if not (of course) characters involved.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

That's just not true! Here's one of the things I said:

My problem with Godzilla: King of Monsters were mostly to do with the human beings with poorly thought out motivations for their actions. For instance Charles Dance is an "eco-terrorist" who wants to set the "titans" free to destroy the Earth to somehow save the Earth. And a suitcase-sized MacGuffin that can control monsters literally on the other side of the planet at one point, yet needs to be tied into baseball stadium sound system to control one a mile away at another point.

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Interesting range of reviews out there. Looking forward to seeing it anyways, as just like Elvis had Clambake, GZ had his own failings and it can only go up from here:

Shawn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.