Godzilla: The Shōwa Era Films, new release from Criterion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rmath84, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My first encounter with Godzilla was on the Million Dollar Movie on channel 9 in NYC. Perry Mason was narrating so it must be true. After many years of watching laughing extras fleeing the monster I'm glad to see this set. My favorite is the badly dubbed 1974 Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, It's night, it's day.

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-classic-godzilla-movies.html

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Let me talk about this set for a minute.

This set has fifteen movies plus two variant versions (Godzilla, King of the Monsters and the Japanese cut of King Kong vs. Godzilla*)

Godzilla
    Godzilla Raids Again/Gigantis, the Fire Monster*
    King Kong vs. Godzilla
    Mothra vs. Godzilla/Godzilla vs. The Thing*
    Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster*
    Invasion of Astro-Monster/Monster Zero/Godzilla vs. Monster Zero*
    Ebirah, Horror of the Deep/Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster
    Son of Godzilla*
    Destroy All Monsters
    All Monsters Attack/Godzilla's Revenge*
    Godzilla vs. Hedorah/Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster
    Godzilla vs. Gigan/Godzilla on Monster Island
    Godzilla vs. Megalon
    Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla/Godzilla vs. Bionic Monster/Godzilla vs. Cosmic Monster*
    Terror of Mechagodzilla/The Terror of Godzilla*

Criterion and Classic Media has previously released Godzilla and Godzilla, King of the Monsters, Universal King Kong vs Godzilla, Kraken Sea Monster, Smog Monster and Gigan and Media Blasters Destroy All Monsters and Megalon.

That leaves nine films new to Blu (marked accordingly).

3. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

The set is terrific, but it's worth noting there are only English dubbed versions on a handful of them. Some may not care at all, but if you're a completist, nostalgia lover, or have little ones running around (as I do), the lack of the English dub might be a disappointment.

What's curious is the English dubs were on the Classic Media DVD releases -- and on a few of the Kraken Blu-Rays like SEA MONSTER and SMOG MONSTER...but not here.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    jupiter8 likes this.
  4. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

It needs the dubbed version to be accurate--

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The big selling point for me is the inclusion of the original Japanese version of King Kong vs Godzilla, which has never before been released on DVD or BR in North America. I've already got everything else in the set, but I'll probably buy this box anyway... I'm sure Criterion has done a great job with the transfers. Would've liked to see the inclusion of commentaries for each film instead of just a handful of featurettes, but oh well.

Ginger Ale and longdist01 like this.
  6. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

My kids love these movies. We got the entire movie catalog and went through it starting with Gojira.

7. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

So did Criterion, but Toho being Toho, they said no to commentaries.

Toho exerts complete and total control on how their films are presented outside Japan, unfortunately for us.
    That's why there are missing dubs and no commentaries

12 page thread about the box over at criterionforum.org

BeatleJWOL, supermd and Shawn like this.
  8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Man I really want it. I have a beautiful original Godzilla but the others would be nice too. I’d like to find them separately.

9. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

And I don’t want the overdubbing. These look great - guess I’ll have to wait the individual versions.

10. DetroitDoomsayer

Criterion will not be releasing these separately. The box is it.

Overdubbing? Some of the films (not all) have two soundtracks to chose from when watching the film, either the original Japanese (with subtitles) or an English dub.

Some had been released separately on other labels, but I believe they are now out of print.

rebellovw likes this.
  11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Thanks I might give in. Bummer that I have the best one already.

12. DetroitDoomsayer

Do you mean you have the previous Criterion release of Godzilla?

That's included in this box as well. You could always sell your old copy, or give it to a friend.

13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yep. I picked that up a few years back. It is wonderful- I love the Japanese original. Very beautiful too.

longdist01 likes this.
  14. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

My last Criterion purchase was the Bergman box during a BN 50% off sale. This will be my next (although I’d like to see the dubs and some commentaries). Dig the artwork. Bergman and Godzilla a match made in heaven ha ha !!

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The excellent series of DVDs that Classic Media released a few years back all had commentaries and multiple language tracks... strange that they'd approve them for those discs but not Criterion.

16. DetroitDoomsayer

Strange, yet absolutely true.

Toho has a few Godzilla films restored and released on blu-ray at 4k in Japan, yet they only allowed Criterion to use a bunch of older transfers for this box set.

17. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

I had hoped this set would allow me to get rid of the various discs I already had that included variant versions and commentaries etc, but Toho as always spoils the party. I would only pick this up at Barnes and Noble’s Criterion sale, and I’m debating even that as the transfers are nothing special. Can’t have a better product than the discs they churn out every few years back home.

18. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Besides the original are any of the others close to being as beautiful and what I call Blu-ray worthy? I liked mothera, Planet X and found streaming just fine for these.

Still on the fence.

19. Son of Godzilla alone makes this set worth getting (yeah, it is arguably the worst Showa entry in the series, but it's nigh on impossible to get on disc in the US R1).

20. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I’m a sucker picked it up at BullMoose cheaper and no tax.

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The Columbia Tri-Star DVD from 2004 isn't too hard to track down.

22. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

I love Godzilla but I think I'll pass...great memories of these movies but I can't imagine watching any of them now.

23. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

On the one hand, I stopped watching Godzilla movies after Ghidorah so the majority would be first time viewing for me. On the other, the increasing cartoonishness turns me off so I'm not sure if I'd be able to get through the box. Guess I'll have to see how cheap I can find it, then dial down my expectations. Maybe a little reefer madness will help?

24. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

So to clarify, which movies have no English track?

25. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

There are English dubs for Invasion of Astro-Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla. (Plus the US versions of the original Godzilla and King Kong Vs Godzilla)

Luke The Drifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.