Godzilla: The Shōwa Era Films, new release from Criterion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rmath84, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

It should be noted that the English language versions of the films in this set are the so-called Continental or International dubs, not the original English language dubs done for the US' original releases.

The original "US dubs" where usually done by either Ryder Sound Services in LA or New York's Titra Studiosusing American voice talent (like Peter Fernandez, Paul Frees, Hal Lindon and even George Takai among others) up through the early 70's. The original US English language dubs while often cartoonish, are vastly better quality and contain far more "charm" than the later cheaply done International (UK, Europe, etc) English language dubs commissioned by Toho starting in the mid-60's themselves for films released outside the US that were done in places like Hong Kong and Japan using sub-par voice actors. US studios like AIP would continue to have their Toho releases dubbed by US studios and voice talent in spite of Toho's International dubs due to the poor quality of Toho's own English dubs up through the early 70's which is why there's two English language dubs for some 60's Godzilla films.

rebellovw likes this.
  2. Partyslammer

With the exception of Shin Godzilla, there's no 4k UHD physical releases out yet in Japan of any Godzilla movie. The original Godzilla (Gojira) and King Kong vs Godzilla (that restoration is *not* on the Criterion set) have benefited from actual 4K restorations but have only been broadcast on the Japanese Movie Specialty Channel and not in true 4K.

3. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Sorry, I wasn't clear, there have been 4k restorations of a few Godzilla films, but only released on blu-ray. I didn't mean to imply they were 4k UHD releases, just standard blu.

4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Depressing reading all this about Toho. I was hoping Criterion might follow up with some non-Godzilla Honda releases. He made so many terrific movies. Doesn't sound very likely though. It would be an interesting story to know what Criterion and others have to go through to license these things. As an exploitation fan, it's always fun to see good genre fare get the restoration treatment. Right now, it seems like Hammer is having a bit of a moment. But you wonder why something as classically odd as Faster Pussycat never got a Criterion release and more often than not, it's because the owners of the film rights are really hard to deal with. It's too bad because with each passing year, those of us who remember and really celebrate these things are getting a little older. To me, they're just leaving money on the table.

Shawn likes this.
  5. Partyslammer

Criterion has long wanted to at least release the original Godzilla/Gojira and at least Mothra vs Godzilla as far back as the late 80's during the laserdisc era. At one point in the early 90's, talks fell through and Toho actually released double disc laserdisc sets in Japan of both those films with the Japanese and English versions in configurations exactly as proposed by Criterion.

Shawn and rebellovw like this.
  6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Well it is a shame they do not have quality English dubs for all of the films on the set. Probably a deal breaker for me.

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

As a kid the dubs were great but now the original is just awesome in Japanese - much better. Looking forward to these.

8. Holerbot6000

Thats how I am leaning. The dubs are super fun sometimes but I think I have better appreciation after watching them in Japanese with subs. Sometimes they are more somber or dramatic than comes across in the dubs. I agree that it would be best to have both but it's not a huge deal breaker. Especially after watching so many other crazy Honda movies in Japanese. Wouldn't mind waiting to see if B&N has another Criterion Flash sale in November though. Criterion wisely had theirs a couple weeks ago and pre-orders were not allowed. Blackguards!

rebellovw likes this.
  9. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yeah after watching the original and the Raymond Burr version they are certainly different besides just the dubs (from what I recall). The original is awesome.

I saved 30 bucks. I went to checkout on Amazon Prime and with tax it was 180 but with BullMoose it was 149.

10. I for one will miss the Barney Fife-esque voice that was used on the US dub of All Monsters Attack for Godzilla's son. One of the most bizarre voices for a character that needs to be heard/seen to be believed.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Pete Puma and woody like this.
  11. Holerbot6000

Anything would help. Godzilla's son was a character I just never warmed up to, Even when I was five years old watching these things back in the 60's I thought he was way too cute and hyper not to have immediately gotten on dad's last nerve. I know he has his fans though so peace and love.

Shawn likes this.
  12. Andy Dursin

Andy Dursin Forum Resident

Problem for me is I have a son who loved watching the Kraken GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER Blu-Ray with me (which had an English dub), but he's 5 and he's not ready for subtitles just yet. lol

It's disappointing I can't use this box-set for us to watch together, but I am glad to have it...just irritated it couldn't have been more "definitive", or at least offered what we already had on previous U.S. DVD or Blu-Ray releases. Again, though, I'm guessing that's not Criterion's doing.

Shawn and rebellovw like this.
  13. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Understood and that sucks. These are for me. To add to my Japanese movie collection.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  14. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

Anyone interested in getting the old Titra dubs should look into the work done by Red Menace, a fan group that’s been reconstructing the original versions of these films. I won’t link to them due to obvious copyright issues, but their work is excellent if you have the interest and capability to download large HD files.

15. Partyslammer

Starting Friday, Nov 1st, Barnes and Nobel will be having their month long 50% off retail sale online and in-store on all Criterion Blu-ray and DVD releases which will include the Godzilla set, bringing it's price down to about $113 not including tax or shipping (if ordered online). Also, if you're a B&N member, you'll get another 10% off that discount bringing the price down to about $102.

rebellovw likes this.
  16. Holerbot6000

Dude you rock. Thank you and Happy Halloween.

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Is it correct that the pose is called ’the Godzilla jump’? It was originated from the manga character.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Lennon also made the pose in Tokyo.

[​IMG]

Pete Puma, rmath84 and rebellovw like this.
  18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Godzilla aquired!

rebellovw likes this.
  19. Holerbot6000

Me too. I actually sold a book on Ebay last night for $125 which is almost exactly what the Godzilla box cost me, so I figure it's DESTINY!

supermd, The Hud and rebellovw like this.
  20. Holerbot6000

Picked mine up - I guess I didn't pay too close attention to the packaging. I thought it was going to be a standard Criterion box but instead its a great big coffee table book. Haven't opened it yet because I am still at work but it looks pretty cool. Can't wait to Kaiju-out this weekend.

By the way, the B&N guy told me they are selling out fast. Don't dawdle!

rebellovw likes this.
  21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Yep - mine arrived today - large record size coffee table book with all the disks. Nice - but will be awkward to store.

22. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Just picked one up at B&N and it was the last one on the floor.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I hope that people will re-assess Godzilla’s Revenge.

24. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

First one I watched last night:

Invasion of Astro-Monster

I really enjoyed it and not at all how I remembered it. Picture and sound were awesome. I’m super happy. Very beautiful.

woody and Shawn like this.
  25. woody

woody Forum Resident

This is $120 shipped with taxes from Amazon prime right now. Had to jump on it.

rebellovw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.