Godzilla: The Shōwa Era Films, new release from Criterion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rmath84, Oct 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I wonder if this has a realistic chance at becoming Criterion's best seller ever. It is expensive, but a lot of people are excited about it.

2. Radiophonic_

Radiophonic_ Electrosonic

I’m still keeping my various other copies of the Godzilla movies that have alternate versions/extras, but with B&N member discount, this was $102, so how could I pass it up?

longdist01 and supermd like this.
  3. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

Eagerly awaiting my copy to be delivered...I already had the original from Criterion, and KK vs Godzilla - but couldn't resist having the others in one big set.
    Whenever the little "son of Godzilla" blows smoke rings, I crack up every time. :laugh:
    Will be fun to see a lot of these again.

woody likes this.
  4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Immediately put on Mothra v Godzilla then Gidorah, basically 'cause they're in color. MvG was okay but there was a marked improvement with Gidorah. Next up, the Japanese KKvG.

5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I picked my copy up at a local B&N yesterday. They started out with nearly a dozen sets, they are sold out there now. I pretty much have the entire series on Laserdisc (most of which I sold off years ago), Japanese DVDs as well as Blu-ray already as well as most of the US releases as well. Will still be hanging on to the old Japanese releases as many of them have special features not available anywhere else.

One of the nice special features on the 8th disc is an extended program featuring a lot of FX out-take footage not just from the 60's and 70's Godzilla films, but other Toho films from that period including some of their WWII films.

Not a big fan of the oversized ugly kiddie book style graphics and packaging. There are *no* actual photos from any of the films in the book, it's all the newly commissioned full page sized comic bookish "pop" illustrations. Probably another stupid mandate from Toho, that Criterion couldn't use any photos. The discs are a bit of a pain to get out of the cardboard slip in the back of the book. For now, the only place I can put the book is on top of my home entertainment center with a couple big Godzilla figures - I will eventually be doing custom artwork for a traditionally sized 8 disc case.

[​IMG]

6. That would be awesome on so many levels.

longdist01, supermd and The Hud like this.
  7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I was about to go to Barnes and Noble and pick up a copy but was informed I am getting in for Christmas before I left. The two month wait is going to be a killer but at least I saved over $100.00.

rebellovw and The Hud like this.
  8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The 2 Barnes and Noble closest to me are sold out now, though I am not sure how many they started with. I only saw 2 out when I bought mine, but I imagine they had a few in the back.

9. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

it looks good with the rest of your collection though. That giant screaming Godzilla statue is INTENSE.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. woody

woody Forum Resident

My Amazon order arrived today, nicely double boxed. The book is huuuuge. Wonder if I can fit it on the bookcase?

11. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

And a lot of people appear to be happy with the release.

longdist01, supermd and The Hud like this.
  12. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'm glad I have a case of plastic dvd holders since that cardboard crap is awful. I carefully slid a disc out and there was a white mark on the surface like you see when a disc comes in contact with a hard surface. Thankfully, it came off with a quick wipe-down but c'mon Criterion.

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Nice setup. Thanks for sharing. :)

longdist01 likes this.
  14. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Have any Canadian members seen this in stock at any brick & mortar stores? Just curious what price range to expect.

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

B&N’s sale goes until December 1 and I’m hoping to put off buying this until the last day. Does anyone know if B&N stops taking orders on a title once they run out of copies, or do they put you on back order with the reduced price?

16. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Awesome Criterion Box. Best ever!

[​IMG]

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm not sure, but Amazon has price-matched this, so you can get it at that price around the same time from Amazon of B&N is sold out, more than likely.

Criterion Collection: Godzilla - Showa-Era Films

https://www.amazon.com/GODZILLA-SHO...ords=godzilla+criterion&qid=1573690235&sr=8-1

zombiemodernist likes this.
  18. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I was able to get the Bergman box that way. Sale was still on, box was OOS (everywhere at that point) and had to be reprinted in 2 months. I placed the order, waited the two months and got it at 50%. They didn't pull any crap while it was OOS like Amazon is known to.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  19. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Gotta love Criterion - in the same thread we can go from Bergman to Godzilla without missing a beat.

My buddy - a Godzilla aficionado - went all in on the box set and unleashed the Japanese version of King Kong vs. Godzilla on me, which was a blast. Typical of Toho, we're always left wanting more (those American versions would be nice to have here ) but the print looked gorgeous and the packaging...well, it's Godzilla-worthy. I'm thinking of picking up one for myself...

Shawn likes this.
  20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Luckily for you it has been at the $113 price point since the last Criterion sale!

zombiemodernist likes this.
  21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I received this set as an X-Mas present and finally watched all of the films. It was a blast and I will probably start it over tonight with the original film.

rebellovw, Jazzmonkie and Shawn like this.
  22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I was in Sunrise Records on the weekend and asked about this box. The clerk told me that the one copy they'd had in stock was sent back to the distributor because it sat on the shelf for a couple months. (huh?)

Not only that, but when the clerk looked it up on their computer, the price of the set had actually just been increased recently (to a whopping $300!) :eek:

WTF? These meatheads think the optimum way to improve sales is by a) not keeping the item in stock, and b) jacking up the price? Good luck with that. Your store isn't going to last long if these are the types of idiotic business decisions being made. :rolleyes:

23. Yeah, especially when it's currently $112 on Amazon US.

Rocker likes this.
  24. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Finally picked up this set yesterday. Only had time to watch the 1954 original so far, but I've got some vacation time coming up in March, so I'm hoping to work my way through all the films while I'm off.

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Is it true that the 'sound' of Godzilla is a slowed-down bowing on a cello?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.