' Godzilla Versus Kong '

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 28, 2021.

1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Yikes, was this bad. Among many many utterly inane conceits was the time Kong spent in mid air, jumping up and then 'hovering'. You notice that when the surrounding nonsense goes on and on. Also, the monsters changing size, and completely inept direction in terms of coherent action. And, as mention, pretty crappy cg, lots of 'flaring' and lights but no definition.

This Monsterverse was a complete miss and mess, although the first Godzilla had moments of real awe and drama: coming ashore on Hawaii, for instance.

Why is WB even allowed to make movies? What would they do differently if they weren't trying to trying to sabotage an art form?

2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Utter crap!!! :righton:

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Terrible big budget Hollywood movie.
    Fun and goofy giant monster bash movie.

And I will say, despite a silly nonsensical story, the battle on top of the military boats was a great clash and the highlight of the movie for me.

4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I was in Walmart last night looking at their DVDs, and noticed they had a knock-off of this film, as seen here:

Ape vs. Monster - Wikipedia

Has anybody seen this and is it any good?

5. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Haven't seen this particular title but those movies made by Asylum are all the same. Low-budget, cheesy...but somewhat entertaining.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

This on my worst movie of all time list.

7. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Thought I'd save you some precious time. The title characters are on screen a whopping 3 minutes or so.

8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The special effects are a lot better than I expected.

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The monster looks cool and like some real thought went into it. The ape is laughably bad.

The Hud likes this.
  10. The Hud

The ape is still better than Kong in the original King Kong vs Godzilla. :)

11. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Monster movies are my guilty pleasure. I liked this one. It was stupid and fun. Where King of Monsters was just stupid.

Looking back, Godzilla (2014) was the best one, but is the odd one out of the trilogy where King of Monsters and Vs Kong are more alike.

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I missed the 2014 movie but I think that Godzilla vs Kong was way stupider than King of the Monsters.

Concur... "BIG STEP DOWN!"

13. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Which is why you only get 3 minutes of them.

14. The Hud

That's all they could afford? :)

15. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

Yes, probably. They had a CGI budget, and it meant either 40 minutes of weak, off-the-shelf CGI, or 3 minutes of state-of-the-art effects.

The Hud likes this.
  16. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I just finished seeing this on HBO Max and don't get all the hate for it. Now to be fair I had never seen a Godzilla movie and only bits and pieces of the original 1933 and 2005 Peter Jackson remake of Kong and thought both kinda sucked, but this one was fantastic. The storyline was interesting and ultra realistic to me, the deaf girl lent an emotional heft I wasn't expecting, and all the special effects were just jaw dropping. Heck, I even got a little teary eyed at the end when I thought Kong was gonna die, and actually cheered at the self-sacrifice he made. Maybe it's just me but I thought the whole thing was ultra cool and fascinating and I personally loved it.

17. SandAndGlass

Somehow you managed to avoid over six decades of Godzilla movies?

At least you did catch bits and pieces...

Happens...

Me too...

Good SFX tend to be like like that...

At the end of the day, that's all that matters...

Maybe, take a look at Godzilla: King of the Monsters?

If you liked the little deaf girl, than you might appreciate Millie Bobbie Brown’s previous role, which is a lot better than this one. She doesn't speak a lot either.

18. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I liked it too, though I’ll strongly disagree about the 1933 and 2005 King Kong movies. They’re both great films.

YardByrd likes this.
  19. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

yes, that's where I first saw Godzilla vs. Kong as well, on Ch 56's Creature Double Feature... I'm guessing late '70s around 10-years-old as well... man, loved playing D&D Saturday mornings before tuning into Creature Double Feature!

bostonscoots and Pete Puma like this.
  20. Grand_Ennui

Totally agree with you on that... Well, almost agree with it-The beginning third of Peter Jackson's 'King Kong' could have been trimmed down a bit. That and they should have had a better actor than Jack Black.

21. SandAndGlass

Sometimes "monster" movies work better with actors like Jack Black...

22. Grand_Ennui

I remember when KK2005 came out, I was telling a guy about it and that Jack Black was in it... He asked if he was there to be the comic relief and I told him no, that Jack was playing a straight/serious roll... The guy thought it sounded like a miscast-I told him it was :)

23. SandAndGlass

It's funny when actors like Jack Black think they are playing serious roles...

The Brady Bunch kids thought they were doing drama.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  24. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

The first third of Jackson's 'King Kong' could have been trimmed down to five minutes.
    She's a starving actress looking for a break, he wants to make a great movie..got it! On the ship everyone! We're off to Skull Island!

25. I was likely watching the same episodes. I loved Creature Double Feature.

YardByrd and SandAndGlass like this.