Going through a spy thriller phase, Please recommend me some movies or series.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Kassonica, Sep 12, 2022.

1. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I think it retained the character and tone of the first season, and the ongoing story of the other two leads from Season 1 was very interesting.

MI6 likes this.
  2. Mesozoic Mike

Mesozoic Mike Forum Resident

I Spy with Bill Cosby and Robert Culp. Popular series from the 60s

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

the witch
    The revenant
    Tenent
    Mad max fury road
    Once upon A time in Hollywood
    Roma

mds, Stone Turntable and Deuce66 like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Absolutely love Condor. I think it's the most realistic TV spy show done in a long time, next to Rubicon (a series few watched that only lasted a year). You can't trust anybody, even the bad guys have a shred of good in them, and some of the good guys eventually get twisted to the point where they start forgetting who's side they're on and where the boundaries are. Fantastic show. Bob Balaban deserves an Emmy as the not-completely-evil CIA boss. Very realistic, tense as hell.

Curveboy likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I saw it in the theater and had no idea what was going on. Ha ha ha ha

ssmith3046 likes this.
  6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I watch it once a year and I still don't! No, it's kind of hard to follow with just one viewing. Max von Sydow was great in it. Love seeing NY City circa 1975.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The Bourne franchise may be too manic for the the gritty/realistic focus of this discussion, but I absolutely love it. The first one in particular was groundbreaking — its influence single-handedly transformed the Bond movies, for instance.

ssmith3046 and lukatherfan like this.
  8. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Where can we watch Condor

9. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Does the Odessa File count as a "spy thriller"? The main character is a journalist, but he in effect becomes a spy to achieve his "mission". Great stuff, as is another Forsyth-based film, The Day of the Jackal.

mds, uzn007, Borgia and 1 other person like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Streaming on Amazon Prime.

11. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

Where can we wat
    awesome..thank you

12. misterjones

Though not much of a spoiler, don't watch unless you've seen the film.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    MI6, ssmith3046 and a customer like this.
  13. misterjones

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
  14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I recommend All the Money in the World. It feels like a spy movie, but technically it's a kidnapping thriller. Christopher Plummer is masterful as J. Paul Getty.

15. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Recently saw The Courier with Cumberbatch taken from a true story. Very good.

MerseyBeatle, MoonPool and The Panda like this.
  16. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

It has been mentioned above but I think “The Sandbaggers” is the best and most realistic spy series ever on TV. The “Queen and Country” graphic novels are kind of a unofficial sequel to the series - Greg Rucka was a huge fan of the TV series.

I also like the TV series “Danger Man/Secret Agent;” “The Prisoner;” “Person of Interest;” and “Nowhere Man” (a UPN show from the 1990s starring Bruce Greenwood).

As for novels, I think Charles McCarry’s “Paul Christopher” spy novels are great - highly recommended.

I’m a big fan of the James Bond films although I consider them fantasy adventures, not realistic spy movies. The one exception is “From Russia from Love,” which is a fairly realistic spy film and my favorite Bond flick. In that vein, I also enjoyed the 2015 film version of “The Man from UNCLE” - a little “tongue in cheek” and highly entertaining. Also, Hitchcock’s “North by Northwest” is a great spy movie and an inspiration for the James Bond movies.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    uzn007 likes this.
  17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

If you want espionage with a sci-fi twist, try the series "Counterpart" with JK Simmons. Ran for two seasons on Starz.

18. MI6

MI6 Member

If you are into an all things espionage phase, fact or fiction, dig spy thrillers, novels or films, and like Robert Ludlum's Jason Bourne, Len Deighton’s Harry Palmer or even Mick Heron's Jackson Lamb then you had best read the enigmatic and elusive espionage thriller Beyond Enkription. It's the first stand-alone novel in The Burlington Files series based on the life of a real spy Bill Fairclough, aka Edward Burlington, who was an agent for MI6 (codename JJ) and the CIA.

Beyond Enkription (intentionally misspelt) is set in London, Nassau and Port au Prince in the seventies pursuant to Edward Burlington infiltrating a global organised crime syndicate while unwittingly working for MI6. After some frenetic attempts on his life he was relocated to the Caribbean where, “eyes wide open” he's recruited by the CIA and is soon headed for shark infested waters off Haiti. The protagonist has been likened to a “posh Harry Palmer.” Indeed, Len Deighton could be forgiven for thinking he co-wrote this monumental thriller.

Interestingly, you may not have heard of The Burlington Files before, but time will remedy that. Just like Mick Herron’s Slough House series, The Burlington Files series was rejected by know-all publishers who probably thought they understood espionage having read about 007. Nevertheless, in real life Fairclough and his handler (Col Alan Pemberton CVO MBE) crossed the paths of many spooks who have been written about or written about espionage such as Oleg Gordievsky, Greville Wynne, Oleg Penkovsky, David Cornwell, Graham Greene, Kim Philby et al. Beyond Enkription is a must for all espionage aficionados and the spy tradecraft is ingenious and even relevant now.

19. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Falcon and the snowman

Borgia likes this.
  20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  21. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Thanks to this thread we're watching "Deep State" and enjoying it. :edthumbs:

Kassonica and Curveboy like this.
  22. cdcollector87

cdcollector87 Forum Resident

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

uzn007 likes this.
  23. LastCall

LastCall Well-Known Member

Also recommend Day of the Jackal which was remade later with Bruce Willis but nowhere near as good as the original

24. Regginold31

Regginold31 Forum Resident

OP, since you mentioned Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Smiley's People and The Spy Who Came in from the Cold you've already seen some of the best that the genre has to offer. I will try not to list any film/TV series that has already been mentioned :

Our Man in Havana (12/30/59)
    Man on a String (3/25/60)
    Torn Curtain (7/4/66)
    The Quiller Memorandum (11/10/66)
    The Naked Runner (7/19/67)
    A Dandy in Aspic (4/2/68)
    The Chairman (6/25/69)
    The Looking Glass War (9/69)
    Topaz (12/17/69)
    The Kremlin Letter (2/1/70)
    Scorpio (4/11/73)
    The Mackintosh Man (7/25/73)
    The Tamarind Seed (7/74)
    The Eiger Sanction (5/21/75)
    Telefon (12/16/77)
    The Osterman Weekend (10/21/83)
    Edge of Darkness (mini series) (11/4/85)
    Defence of the Realm (1/1/86)
    The Whistle Blower (11/21/86)
    The Fourth Protocol (3/19/87)
    Ronin (9/12/98)

25. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

How's about 'Body Of Lies'! Directed by Ridley Scott, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Russell Crowe, and the scene-stealing Mark Strong! I read the book and the story's based on fact, written by an ex-CIA operative. It feels authentic. A great movie!

spencer1 likes this.