Golden Age Of CDs ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Hipsters?
    Record Store Day has been a blessing especially for newbies.

2. alexpop

12” inch cover best 5” inch. Music covers, natch. :D

lc1995 likes this.
  3. alexpop

Time-Life?
    Advertised on TV( no less).
    Yeah ..have a stack of them?

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

My buddy I used to go CD shopping with 1999-2005 is now a hipster, threw out his CDs, bought a Crosley Turntable from Urban Outfitter, buys vinyl. Uses free version of Spotify.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

Sounds like the brain police got him and stole his mind, least the Crosley bit. :D

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Rhino
    Varese Vintage
    Time-Life
    EMI
    Polygram
    Sony

They all put out fantastic comps in the 90s.

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

For oldies music nineties comp cds reigned supreme.
    Now YouTube has took over that domain.

8. alexpop

Another thing you don’t see much now 2fer cds. Two albums by the same artist on one cd. Beach Boys did stellar ones with extra tracks.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And the sound quality sucks, YouTubers can't get the song titles or the artists correct, and you can't find the correct mixes or edits half the time.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Early 2000’s ? yeah pretty much. CDS were expensive ( for some ). Get the complete collection of the Beatles for a song. Orriblr art work/copy.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    lc1995 likes this.
  11. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I think online access to CD's from the likes of Amazon made even new releases of current artists less expensive and quite so overall for used. There are some independent DIY home recording artists who sell their CD's direct to customers for like $5-$10 ordered off their own website.

I just bought Chaka Khan's Feb. 2019 CD release of "Hello Happiness" for around $13 off Amazon which includes shipping. That's the price I paid for vinyl and cassettes from retail brick and mortar shops in the '70's .

lc1995 likes this.
  12. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I hope that will help keep CDs from dying. I made 10+ new CD purchases on Amazon so far this year

13. alexpop

Think if the artist/band personilizes it, signature ( limited edition numbered) sale helps with the recording costs. Although that may be demeaning somewhat ( or can’t be bothered )some independent artists.

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  14. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Same with me. The only thing I ever loved about cassettes was how easy and cheap it was to make your own. They became obsolete to me the minute I first got access to a CD burner.

alexpop likes this.
  15. alexpop

I started collecting pre recorded cassettes again ( lord help me :))...50 cent charity shop finds.

Noonie likes this.
  16. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Lord help you is right. You might as well get 8 track and reel to reel while you’re at it.;)

Hammerpeg likes this.
  17. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Wow. For Whom the Bell Curve Tolls.

18. alexpop

Fell asleep. Nap ster ( tm 1999) not good for you.

19. I agree but there are those folks that got into vinyl simply because it is the “thing to do”—granted some will stick around because they love it but there are those that give it up and simply move on wine it isn’t the thing to do.

20. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I started my CD collection the first time I could afford to buy the player and the disc back in the early '90's. My collection is now over 100. Don't know if that's going to prevent CD's from dying off, but I do see my collection as an investment and a more convenient way to listen to music on all three listening environments...my computer, home system and car.

This is the reason I don't stream music. I don't own a smartphone so there's no listening to streaming on earbuds which I'm not certain the sound quality is going to be all that good if not less than good than the CD version of the song.

The only reason I'ld subscribe to streaming is if the service offered their own bass/treble/ambience sweetening signal processing like FM radio did back in the early '90's and then I would record that signal digitally and burn on CDR to play on my home system and car. I'm not finding this boosted signal processing in streaming but I haven't really went looking because it's difficult to do an A/B comparison. And I'm having more fun doing this manually myself from ripped CD files to my computer.

lc1995 likes this.
  21. lc1995

lc1995 Forum Resident

I only stream to find new albums to buy or if I'm in a situation where using CD is not feasible.

I like to buy as many albums as I can afford to. It satisfies me more to have a CD than just listening to an album on spotify.

22. Noonie

Noonie Exploring music is a gift

I’m probably a rare case, but I switched from downloads (was doing so for the last decade, prior to that - CDs) to buying CDs again.

I was going to switch to vinyl, but the high cost (compared to CD), lack of good used vinyl, in the genres I prefer, at shops around me and fact that I already owned a couple hundred CDs made it a no brainer. Sad I didn’t switch (back) sooner.

23. alexpop

As long as your not fussy and want to get more CDs.. charity shops are usually plentiful.

24. alexpop

Some LPs come with download codes though I believe is temporary ie the download doesn’t work after a year, you still hopefully have the vinyl album.

lc1995 likes this.
  25. I have several thousand CDs and even though in theory I was planning to stop buying all physical media this year I've already bought over 40 new CDs so far..........yeah, I know.

Now is the time to really appreciate the quality, value and experience of the best physical media format ever. I have as many LPs so I'm not biased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.