Golden Earring, album by album, single by single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EdwinM, Sep 25, 2021.

1. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man Thread Starter

Slim Zooms likes this.
  2. EdwinM

I can't remember a Golden Earring performance of this, but George did play it as a member of the supergroup Vreemde Kostgangers.

LGJ and Slim Zooms like this.
  3. EdwinM

Some interesting covers exist

Slim Zooms likes this.
  4. EdwinM

Slim Zooms likes this.
  5. EdwinM

Slim Zooms likes this.
  6. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Anyone notice similarities between the percussion intro to Dong Dong and the intro to Do It Again by Steely Dan?

7. EdwinM

Isn't it an existing dance rhythm (cha-cha?).

Slim Zooms likes this.
  8. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Could be but the choice of instruments sounds almost identical to me. Just an observation.

9. EdwinM

OK, this is where we expect a bit more life in this post.

On the Double, released in april 1969 is, as the title already reveals, the only double studio album released by the band.
    [​IMG]

Clocking 65:47 it easily fits on one cd.

All songs were written by Kooymans except where noted.

1. "Song of a Devil's Servant" – 3:45
    2. "Angelina" – 3:11
    3. "Pam Pam Poope Poope Loux" – 2:44
    4. "Hurry, Hurry, Hurry" – 4:23
    5. "My Baby Ruby" – 3:18
    6. "Judy" (Gerritsen) – 1:44
    7. "Goodbye Mama" – 3:09
    8. "Murdock 9-6182" – 3:12
    9. "Just a Little Bit of Peace in My Heart – 5:20
    10. "The Sad Story of Sam Stone" – 2:26
    11. "High in the Sky" – 3:22
    12. "Remember my Friend" (Gerritsen) – 2:57
    13. "Time Is a Book" – 4:06
    14. "Backbiting Baby" – 5:37
    15. "I'm a Runnin'" – 3:27
    16. "I Sing My Song" – 4:00
    17. "Mitch Mover" – 3:00
    18. "God Bless the Day" – 2:40
    19. "The Grand Piano" (Gerritsen) – 3:26

As with many double albums, this one would have been much better if some songs were left of. It is a transitional album containing both psychedelic rock, "hard rock" and even some beat. It gives a good indication of things to come. Several songs are worth noting

The album opens with "Song of a Devil's Servant" which is a representative of the future sound of the band. It was rerecorded for the next album in a bit heavier version. "Angelina" is a song dominated by acoustic guitar and also an excellent one. Unfortunately side 1 drops a bit after this one. Side 2 picks up with the typical 60s song "My Baby Ruby" and is followed by the first Rinus Gerritsen composition "Judy". Rinus is not a composer with a great output, but this might be due to the fact that he his critical on what he releases because all his tracks are considered among the better on this album. After the rocker "Goodbye Mama" and the beautiful acoustic "Murdock 9-6182" we get to the single of the album "Just a Little Bit of Peace in My Heart". With its orchestration it would fit on the previous album, except that the song is a bit more adventurous in having a change in melody near the end.

The second disc starts with two filler songs but gets really interesting at the end of side 3. "Remember my Friend" can be seen as a companion to "I've Just Lost Somebody" from the previous album, while "Backbiting Baby" can be considered a hidden gem in the oeuvre. It's their hardest rocking track so far and has a 70s sound to it. Side 4 has in my opinion the worst song on the album (Mitch Mover) but also the surprising "The Grand Piano", the only piano ballad ever released by the Earring.

All in all, if you like the 70s sound this album is worth buying. If it were a single 12 track album it could even be seen as the first of a great run of albums lasting to the mid 70s. Now it's a promising double album with a bit too much filler.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l9G4Gb2gwDiBiphFAzn-khpnO641celBc

This is also the last album featuring Jaap Eggermont on drums. Although he did a fine job he preferred a different career path as a producing among others Spooky's Day Off by The Swinging Soul Machine, Sandy Coast (True Love That's a Wonder), Earth and Fire (Memories), Livin' Blues (Wang Dang Doodle with future Earring Cesar on drums), Spooky and Sue (Swinging on a Star), Greenfield & Cook (Only Lies), Catapult (Let Your Hair Hang Down), Patricia Paay (Who's that Lady with my Man), Long Tall Ernie and the Shakers (Do you remember), and More than a Feeling by N-Sync He became world famous with his number one hit "Stars on 45".

radiofreedavis, LGJ and Slim Zooms like this.
  10. EdwinM

The single was already released in 1968, reaching number 2 in the Dutch charts

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Slim Zooms likes this.
  11. EdwinM

Live in 2015

Slim Zooms likes this.
  12. EdwinM

George played this one also on the tour with the "Vreemde Kostgangers"

Slim Zooms likes this.
  13. EdwinM

Intermezzo, unfortunately for you in Dutch

Slim Zooms likes this.
  14. EdwinM

A non-album single was released a bit later, recorded in the New York Century Sound Studios during the first American tour : Where will I be reaching number 7 in the Dutch charts. Also this one reveals the new Earring sound, and in case of an ideal 12 track album this should have been included. B-side is the song "I admit it's alright but it could have been better". The single was produced by Arthur Gorson. According to Rinus Gerritsen in the Devil Made us Do It box they had to record 50 takes, after which from the pile of tape boxes take 2 was selected and sent to Holland.

radiofreedavis, LGJ and Slim Zooms like this.
  15. EdwinM

Talking about hidden gems.... Officially the single had a Double A-side, but the Dutch pirate station Veronica decided to prefer "Where Will I Be" in their chart.

radiofreedavis and Slim Zooms like this.
  16. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Very nice to see. Thanks for posting this.
    Lovely house and ‘wow’ guitar collection.
    I could only grab some of the Dutch but George seems like a warm and friendly guy.

17. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Sorry I’m late to this I had hoped to add a bit more of a detailed contribution to your opinions about Miracle Mirror but time has been my enemy so I’ll be brief!

I’ve listened to the album about four or five times recently and the change/progression since the last album is really interesting. The band sound more accomplished as songwriters and arrangers and the result is, as you say, a more psychedelic sixties sound with additional orchestras, string sections, brass sections - indeed, the whole damn kitchen sink in places!

Barry’s vocal debut with the band on this album yields mixed results for me with his singing being more confident on some tracks rather than others. But there’s no doubt he’s a huge upgrade on Frans.

I agree @EdwinM that the album’s highlights are I’ve Just Lost Somebody which is a heartbreakingly good love song, Gipsy Rhapsody with its dramatic arrangement, and The Truth About Arthur. Arthur is a weird track - these are seriously strange lyrics about dwarves and ghosts - I was wondering if it was used for a horror/fantasy film soundtrack, it’s all very reminiscent of the Brothers Grimm for me.

I also enjoyed Circus Will Be In Town In Time, which has a very acoustic guitar-led 60s vibe, and also Born A Second Time which sounds almost folk/rock in style with a nice vocal by Barry which, to me at least, is slightly reminiscent in style of some of Barry’s solo album Only Parrots Frogs and Angels.

Overall, an interesting album but not one which will get much play from me. Looking forward to getting stuck into On The Double.

EdwinM likes this.
  18. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

That’s a great clip! Thanks for posting.

Am I right in saying it’s taken from the Eight Miles High documentary? The film quality superior to what I’ve seen on YouTube though.

Guitar fans: is George playing an Epiphone Texan in the clip?

19. EdwinM

The early albums are so different, for people who really dig Dutch Beat music they rank among the top 3 bands in these days. I rarely play the first three, if I am into enjoying their early songs I go for the "Golden Years of Dutch Pop Music" compilation. It has all the A's and B's until 1969 and the best album tracks. It has a much better flow and lacks filler.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  20. EdwinM

Haven't seen that docu yet. Think I watch it tonight

Slim Zooms likes this.
  21. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

You’re so right, this track is a real indicator the direction to come. Excellent stuff! :righton:

Could you please possibly post a track-listing and I will make up a compilation for myself? Thanks I’d appreciate that.

22. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Once again it’s in Dutch so I only understand about 20% of it :D on a good day :whistle:.
    Some good live footage from festivals etc if I recall correctly.

23. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I’ve been looking for a Polydor copy of this on CD but one I’ve recently seen on eBay had about 12 tracks rather than the full 19 track CD that I have on Red Bullet.

Does anyone know anything about the existence of such a release?

24. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Many of you will have seen this clip but I think it’s great and worth posting while we discuss On The Double:

radiofreedavis likes this.
  25. EdwinM

Slim Zooms likes this.