Golden Earring, album by album, single by single

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EdwinM, Sep 25, 2021.

1. NRL

NRL Forum Resident

I agree whole-heartedly in your assessment of this album!The Who immediately comes to my mind also on "Happy and Young Together" and "Lionel the Miser." The single track "Wings" reminds me of The Who also. The major 7th chords used in the verses of "There Will Be a Tomorrow," one of my absolute favorites from this album, reminds me of "Don't Call on Me" by The Monkees.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  2. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man Thread Starter

1969 was a game changing year for the Golden Earrings. A lot happened
    - On the Double was released
    - The first American tour
    - Jaap Eggermont was replaced by Motions drummer Sieb Warner
    - The name was changed from "The Golden Earrings" to "Golden Earring"
    - The Eight miles high album was released on November 17.

Eight Miles High was the first real rock album released. The psychedelic rock sound that was already the standard during live concerts was now translated to vinyl. The album consisted of 4 original songs on side A as well as a long version of the Byrds song Eight Miles High on side B. The new drum sound is clearly different. While Jaap Eggermont was a typical beat drummer functioning as a guide for the band, the drum sound is now more flowing with the other instruments. But also more chaotic sometimes. Bass is mixed very prominent on most tracks, sometimes to the level that you really feel it.

1. Landing (4.27)
    2. Song of a Devil's Servant (6.00)
    3. One Huge Road (3.05)
    4. Everyday's Torture (5.19)
    5. Eight Miles High (19.00)

Landing is the opening track composed by Rinus Gerritsen with vocals by Barry Hay. In line with the rest of the album the song is driven by both guitar and keyboard.

Song of a Devil's Servant is a rerecording of the song on "On the Double". It already had a psychedelic feel, but this version takes it a bit further. Starting with a long flute solo we go into a more heavy version with heavy bass, organ and a typical melodic George Kooymans guitar at the end of the song.

One Huge Road is the most up tempo song on the album. Sung by George, dominated by a melody line by both bass and guitar. Compared to the other songs it could have been a single, but as we see later a separate track was recorded for this.

Everyday's Torture closes the A side of the album. Personally I see it as the weakest of the for songs on the A side, but that means nothing since there is absolutely no filler there. The sound is closer to the early 70s sound than the other songs.

Eight Miles High was already played live, where it lasted 45 minutes. It starts like the original Byrds song, but after a few minutes it becomes a vehicle for a number of solo's: guitar, bass, drums as well as a puffing and moaning part. The drum and bass solo became a trademark of the Earring lasting until their last concert. Nevertheless it is also the most dated track on the album. Filler? No, it is a great track to play loud when in a certain mood. On the other hand it's an easy way to finish an album.

siebrand, ARK, radiofreedavis and 4 others like this.
  3. EdwinM

During this period a documentary was recorded showing the band live and in the studio. Next to the band themselves you see some of their entourage including manager Freddy Haayen and tour manager Robbie Gerritsen. There are some interviews in Dutch, but content wise not extremely exciting.

Glenn coates and LGJ like this.
  4. EdwinM

On november 24 the single Antother 45 Miles was released. This is a classic Earring song composed by George Kooymans. It was not added to the album and had a more commercial sound that would even appear to the earlier fans. It reached number 3 in the Dutch charts.

5. EdwinM

B-side was the more rocking "I can't get a hold on her" which reveals the influence of the American rock at the time

Haggis Wampovich, LGJ and Slim Zooms like this.
  6. EdwinM

The song was played live during the American tour in a more funky version with Bertus Borgers on sax. This one really rocks.

Egbert Homveld, LGJ and Slim Zooms like this.
  7. EdwinM

For me Eight Miles High was my introduction to psychedelic rock and a start of a long lasting love of this genre.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The first good GE album IMO

Slim Zooms and EdwinM like this.
  9. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Great clip. :righton:
    The Switch material from The Winterland concert really makes a great vehicle for Bertus’s playing. What a character he is!

EdwinM and LGJ like this.
  10. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Nice review Edwin.
    I’ve played this album four or five times recently, I really love it. Definitely the sound of a band getting it together. I’ll add some comments shortly.

Marshall66hendrix and EdwinM like this.
  11. EdwinM

He also played in Sweet d'Buster together with Robert Jan Stips. Do you know any of their material?

wadenits and Slim Zooms like this.
  12. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

This is a great song and very commercial. It was a great singalong number at their gigs too. Classic George.
    A great B-side. Quite a long song for a single B-side in those days too I’d have thought.

EdwinM and Glenn coates like this.
  13. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

No Edwin I’m afraid I don’t.

14. EdwinM

Eentje dan....

Slim Zooms likes this.
  15. NRL

NRL Forum Resident

I REALLY want to apologize for jumping in on this thread so late and sort of taking it backwards. I absolutely love "Sound of the Screaming Day!" I read where George needed a better guitar. This was when he was quite young and the band had not yet taken off. He worked picking tomatoes to earn enough to buy the guitar. When I hear this song, I can't help but wonder if it's a little bit autobiographical. Up to this point I find "That Day" and this track to be their best A-sides.

EdwinM likes this.
  16. NRL

NRL Forum Resident

This is a great album from beginning to end! I really hear them running full on all cylinders here. Not that everything prior to this was weak - not by any means! But "The Truth About Arthur" is a very arresting opener. From then on, no matter what comes next...you're hooked! For me, the whole album's a high point. But the obvious peaks for me are: "...Arthur," "Crystal Heaven" (my personal fave from this album), "I've Just Lost Somebody," "Mr. Fortune's Wife," "Who Cares?," "Born a Second Time," "Magnificent Magistral," "Nothing Can Change This World of Mine" and "Gipsy Rhapsody." I like the way they "recycled" so -to-speak a small portion of "Crystal Heaven" on "Love is a Rodeo" in 1975.

EdwinM and Slim Zooms like this.
  17. LGJ

LGJ Maybe Tomorrow, Maybe Tonight

Can anyone recommend me a good vinyl pressing of Eight Miles High?
    Early (or later) Dutch Polydor? or US on Atlantic (Presswell)?
    Or just the latest (2009/2019) Music On Vinyl?

Hope to expand my Earring vinyl collection next Saturday on the Mega Platen & CD Beurs in Utrecht ;)

Slim Zooms likes this.
  18. NRL

NRL Forum Resident

I completely agree that this would've made a much better single album. The tracks that really work for me are:
    "Song of a Devil's Servant." I prefer this version over the one to follow. "Angelina," "Goodbye Mama." I remember reading that you can have a great music track, but if the vocal's no good, the track will fall flat. I hear a great track here, but it would've been much better served with a different vocalist. In spite of that, I still like it. "Just a Little Bit of Peace in My Heart," "The Sad Story of Sam Stone." I'm a sucker for handclaps and a stompy beat! I really like this track! "High in the Sky," "Remember My Friend," "Backbiting Baby" is another great track! "God Bless the Day" and "The Grand Piano."

EdwinM and Slim Zooms like this.
  19. NRL

NRL Forum Resident

"Seasons" is a very good single. Earth & Fire prior to their disco era are one of my all time favorite bands. Singles like "Invitation," "Wild and Exciting," "Memories" (my all-time favorite track from them), "Storm and Thunder," "21st Century Show" and more are excellent singles! Their albums were also great!

20. NRL

NRL Forum Resident

Slim Zooms likes this.
  21. NRL

NRL Forum Resident

I find myself to be very indifferent about this album. To me, it's not bad, but it's not good. It's the one album prior to "The Hole" that I gravitate to the least. I found Warner to be a good time-keeper, but not a good soloist. The drum solo leaves a lot to be desired. To me, it sounds as though it flounders and is never able to take off. It sounds like a rudimentary drummer trying his first solo and finding it to be beyond his ability. If they were wanting to record a drum solo as well as incorporate one into their live shows, then they were wise to replace him quickly. In that light it seems like the drum solo in "Brother Wind" (to come later) was an apology as well as an affirmation to their listeners.

wadenits likes this.
  22. EdwinM

There were more reasons to replace him. Sieb and the Earring were not really a good match, completely different characters.

NRL likes this.
  23. Eight Miles High is where it starts to get interesting for me. I’m feeling a lot of US West/East coast influence (byrds, Iron Butterfly) as well as some Vanilla Fudge (from New York).

I like how they revisited Song of a Devil’s Servant as it’s a perfect companion piece to the underground occult zeitgeist of the time. These tunes would sound good on a biker movie or low budget horror soundtrack of the day.

Overall, the band is leaning into a harder rock direction and would eventually develop tighter and better songs while mining that vein. I wouldn’t call this a great album, but it’s still hits right when I’m in the mood for it.

EdwinM, NRL, Slim Zooms and 2 others like this.
  24. NRL

NRL Forum Resident

Yep! You're absolutely right!

25. NRL

NRL Forum Resident

I have the Music on Vinyl release on gold vinyl. It's really good!

Marshall66hendrix, LGJ and Slim Zooms like this.