Golden Earring Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Hi El Supernautico
    Most of the reasons mentioned in the documentary involve poor career decisions in the view of management & roadcrew eg losing money due to the massive cost of their production & insisting on shipping their equipment all over America, say, instead of hiring equipment. Another was leaving too long a gap between Moontan, which was a big hit album in America, & it's follow-up, so that their audience dwindled. Probably if Moontan II had been released six months later that would have helped momentum. Obviously the band didn't & Switch was very different.
    They were always homesick(!) This meant instead of living in America & keeping a touring presence there, there big gaps between tours because they wanted to go home. It is suggested that by living & touring the US more after Moontan they could have really hit the motherlode.
    Instead, although their shows were successful every tour lost money, so they reached a point where they felt like they were starting all over again. They were almost bankrupt at one point.

2. el supernautico

el supernautico A traveller of both, time and space

Hi Slim Zooms,
    Thanks for the info! So the substance abuse is elegantly circumnavigated, and they're sort of their own kind... Yeah, I agree the gap between "Moontan" and "Switch"was much too long and (artistically) too big to gain momentum. Poor management and bankrupcy also are often big issues of course...
    Okay, but all in all, I think and hope they felt (and still feel) comfortable with their career. Ch:righton:eers!

Slim Zooms likes this.
  3. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Obviously I don't know the 'whole' story' & I'm sure that regarding substance abuse the various books about the band eg Barry's book would detail that but the documentary shows the guys as pretty tight, creative & supportive of each other.
    It seems like the lack of support over promoting When The Lady Smiles ie censoring the promo video & failing to chart it in America was the tipping point.
    In the documentary the band are interviewed after coming off stage after Madison Square Gardens on the tour to support Grab It For A Second. How many bands get to play that gig, even as a support?
    They come across as pretty happy & accepting of where they are at now. For a bunch of guys 70+ they still put on a great show & play to big crowds in Holland.

el supernautico, siebrand and slipkid like this.
  4. siebrand

siebrand music lover

and it's a sacd too.
    Great sound, and.... GREAT Dinamics!!!
    [​IMG]

ARK, slipkid and Slim Zooms like this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

the best driving song? Radar Love!

6. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Superb :edthumbs:

Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that one has to be played ((((((((LOUD)))))))))!

siebrand and Slim Zooms like this.
  8. Oh wow- Beat Club just posted this.
    Amazing footage from my favorite era:

9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Absolutely dig the heck out of this band and still listen to them on a regular basis.

Some of my favorites besides the obvious are GE (Wall of Dolls), Seven Tears, Together, To The Hilt (a favorite), Contraband (alternative title "Mad Love", which had I Need Love instead of Faded Jeans) Long Blond Animal/Prisoner of The Night, Bloody Buccaneers, Millbrook USA, and Tits n' Ass...sorry, they have many records that are very good!

If more people would listen beyond the hits, I believe they would discover one amazing Rock band!

10. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I bought the Complete Studio Collection three years ago. It’s a gift that keeps on giving, GE have made many great records I echo that sentiment brother :righton:
    In addition to the ones you mentioned I’m also a fan of Eight Miles High & Face It. The live albums are great also.
    Still a great live band too.

vinyl diehard and scotti like this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Oh yes, some great live records and especially that first 2 LP set from the 70's, wow! Like the other titles you mentioned also.

And a special callout to that awesome pinball machine that @vinylshadow has!

ARK, Slim Zooms and vinylshadow like this.
  12. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Thanks for posting this Haggis :righton:

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  13. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

What a great clip! Radar Love it is not! Is there more from the same show?

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  14. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Saw them open for Rush, I think in a mid-90s tour.....dude I don't remember :laugh:.....but I remember it was great, loud and I was happy to finally see them live.

slipkid, vinyl diehard and Slim Zooms like this.
  15. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Open for Rush? Wow great double bill. Might’ve been 80s though, I don’t believe they played America after the mid-80s.

Catcher10 likes this.
  16. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

Dude...like I said don't remember, I did see Rush several times in the 80s before we had kids. LOL

Slim Zooms likes this.
  17. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I do prefer the mood of the studio recording.

Slim Zooms and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  18. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Please Go should have been a huge hit in 1965

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    Sear and Slim Zooms like this.
  19. So far this is the only one I’ve seen. I’m hoping there are more to come

Slim Zooms likes this.
  20. akrasia

akrasia Forum Resident

YESSSSSS. This was my first introduction. The POWERBALL riff would get stuck in my head for weeks..just like the background music to life.. dum dada da dum dada da dum..over and over..

Slim Zooms and vinylshadow like this.
  21. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I know! And hearing Rod Serling speak and Golden Earring singing lines of Twilight Zone is such a gas.

ARK and Slim Zooms like this.
  22. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I have their first album from 1965 "Just Ear-rings".
    I love it!

siebrand likes this.
  23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Hey @Man at C&A , have you ever heard 1965 "Just Ear-rings"? It's really good.
    Very early Kinks but better than their first two albums!

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

Recently acquired Millbrook, USA. Music on Vinyl press. What a great album. I had heard Kingfisher online, which immediately got my attention. Why the long absence from the U.S. before and after? Surely they could have done some smaller, limited tours.

siebrand likes this.
  25. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

The early Golden Earrings albums are very interesting & contain some very nice pop songs.
    The Sound Of The Screaming Day is great.
    They do sound very Kinks but also reminiscent of Herman’s Hermits/Hollies to me.
    However, I prefer their post Neder-beat material after Barry Hay joins. I really love the song I’ve Just Lost Somebody.

slipkid likes this.