Golden Earring - Moontan - remastered & expanded - 2CD - release date: 10 September 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wouter, Aug 27, 2021.

1. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

8000 CDs? Man that’s impressive :edthumbs:.

You’re right.
    Thinking about it:
    Maybe City will pay the £42m upfront in one lump.
    It’s better for Leeds to have that in a lump rather than it spread over 5 years. Sometimes happens - Arsenal got Pepe for 70m but only paid about £5m for first season! That doesn’t help does it?
    KP deserves the move tho. Gonna be interesting to see who they sign. Pleased with business so far.

2. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The spindles on this Golden Earring digipack are the same as the spindles on a jewel case, one is not more likely than the other to cause the disc to become loose. My advice is to stop dropping your discs on the stone floor.

The Golden Earring digipack being discussed here has a spine that's roughly twice as wide as a jewel case so the album title is much easier to read than a jewel case.

Also, a box set for only two discs?

Sheesh...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    RAT1 likes this.
  3. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

2CD and 1DVD

4. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

This thread is about the remastered edition of Moontan. There are 2 CD's and no DVD's in this set.

Sheesh (x2)....

CWChrome and Slim Zooms like this.
  5. Free4ever

Free4ever Well-Known Member

Nice to have and definitely long overdue, but arguably INcomplete:

FROM

Golden Earring – Complete Studio Recordings (2017) (See Discogs)

CD 28 Non-Album Tracks 2

28-5 Stand By Me 4:30
    28-6 The Song Is Over 4:53
    28-7 Instant Poetry 4:55
    28-8 Lucky Number 5:52

Track 5 is non-LP A-side of single Golden Earring - Stand By Me . Recorded after "Together", before "Moontan".
    Track 6 is non-LP B-side of single Golden Earring - Radar Love (continental Europe; UK/US B-side was "Just Like Vince Taylor")
    Track 7 is non-LP A-side of single Golden Earring - Instant Poetry. Recorded after "Moontan", before "Switch".
    Track 8 is non-LP B-side of single Golden Earring - Ce Soir (unused song from the Moontan-sessions).

The Song Is Over & Instant Poetry are included.
    One could argue about the inclusion of "Stand By Me" (could also be added to "Together"), but why was "Lucky Number" not included if this was indeed from the Moontan sessions?

PS Last, but not least, I find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be more alternate takes or unused songs from the sessions ...

6. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I think most of your points are answered earlier in the thread..,,..

Glenn coates likes this.
  7. hbsbla

hbsbla Forum Resident

Any word on a hi-res release of Moontan? Weird that Live would get one and not Moontan.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  8. Jeroen Ras

Jeroen Ras Well-Known Member

Both Stand By Me and Lucky Number have nothing to do with Moontan, so including these songs would have been ridiculous.

9. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

As far as I know they rarely had unused songs. If they had these usually ended up on b-sides.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  10. Egbert Homveld

Egbert Homveld Forum Resident

But who will miss the peep? Which is an error which has nothing to do with the playing of the band or the intended recording.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  11. Egbert Homveld

Egbert Homveld Forum Resident

Listening to this new edition of Moontan can be rather exiting. Sometimes you hear new things. For example: One of the highlights is I think the instrumental version of Are You Receiving. It sounds so well. On the end there is suddenly a tambourine. Maybe I have heard that before. But I now hear all the rings of the tambourine, and I am certain I have not heard that before. Fascinating.

siebrand, Slim Zooms, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  12. texquad

texquad Senior Member

The Remastered & Expanded Moontan CD is exceptional. Does the vinyl version sound any better?

Mister Charlie likes this.
  13. I cant believe I missed this thread till now. I just ordered this set through Amazon and I already know the quality to expect, based on Wouter's excellent Focus box set. Attention to detail and an ear (and hand) for creating quality remasters.

tinnox, hbsbla, Levitated and 2 others like this.
  14. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

And you will love it. :agree:

15. Wouter

Wouter Archiving | remastering Thread Starter

16. Keithbaran

Keithbaran New Member

Hello everyone, I just picked up the 2022 release, clear vinyl and I just find it aweful. The seperation is great, clear, soundstage, but the bass is aweful. It's so over exaggerated. Boomy, I have several music on vinyl releases and they sound amazing. Alan Parson "Gaudí" "Pyramid" Utopia " RA". But this is a big no go. Does anyoe else agree or am I losing it?

17. Wouter

Wouter Archiving | remastering Thread Starter

18. Wouter likes this.
  19. siebrand

siebrand music lover

That one is one of my favorite Golden Earring albums.
    No CD, here?
    Only HiRes on D.Platforms? :o:realmad:

20. Endymion and siebrand like this.
  21. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

Where are the bonus tracks?

22. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  23. 16/44.1

16/44.1 Forum Resident

I'm missing the single B side "Babylon".

24. Evercoug

Evercoug Forum Resident

This particular edition has no bonus tracks and no inner booklet. My understanding is that there was a similar version of Eight Miles High released that same year (remastered, but no bonus tracks and no booklet).
    Of course, EMH eventually got an expanded remastered release with bonus tracks and booklet, so it’s possible we will eventually see a similar release for To The Hilt, with bonus tracks. But that is my assumption only!