Golden Earring - Moontan - remastered & expanded - 2CD - release date: 10 September 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wouter, Aug 27, 2021.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Sorry for dumb Q, I 4get if it's been mentioned yet, but is this available domestically in the USA? I don't see it on Amazon.

2. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

ImportCDs.com has it listed for pre-order here.

ARK and Galley like this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Anybody else? I can't order from them anymore despite spending tens of thousands of dollars there over the years (long story here if you want to learn how godawful ImportCDs and DeepDiscount REALLY are):
    Received EMPTY BOX from Deep Discount in mail....

4. PineBark

Egads that sucks. I've had a botched order from ImportCDs (same company as Deep Discount), but not that bad.

I couldn't find the new Moontan listed for pre-order at any other US sellers, but I assume it will eventually show up on Amazon.

slipkid likes this.
  5. the.giffer

the.giffer Forum Resident

AMAZING! Just saw this, dream come true. Wore out at least a couple of copies of Moontan in high school. Excellent album that has held up over the years and that I still listen to regularly. Thanks to OP for posting this, I would have missed it otherwise.

ARK, slipkid and Wouter like this.
  6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I’ve never owned or even heard Moontan (other than Radar Love on the radio).
    Looks like now’s the time.

Though with them having so many albums, and Wouter hinting at further deluxe reissues, I fear I’m jumping into a rabbit hole

slipkid, Slim Zooms and Wouter like this.
  7. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

It's a nice Hole, more than 25 albums, some are better than others but no really bad ones.

8. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

9. mountainmaster

mountainmaster Forum Resident

Deluxe editions of all the studio albums they made from 1970 to 1976 would be nice. :)

slipkid, Slim Zooms and Pangolino like this.
  10. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

No Eight Miles High and Contraband?
    Or outtakes from the first live album?

slipkid and Slim Zooms like this.
  11. RAT1

RAT1 Forum Resident

If these are the next ones, that will get a special treatment, I will be a happy man ;-)
    Together with Moontan, they are my favorite Golden Earring studio albums :)

Switch
    To The Hilt
    Contraband
    Grab It For A Second

slipkid, Slim Zooms and EdwinM like this.
  12. mountainmaster

mountainmaster Forum Resident

Eight Miles High is not bad but it is still missing a core member: Cesar Zuiderwijk. Contraband is from 1976 so it is included in my selection.
    And the live album is long enough as it is IMO.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  13. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I am still curious if there's more, 90 minutes seems short for a full concert.
    And you're right, Contraband was a December release. Somewhere it feels like 1977.

ARK and Slim Zooms like this.
  14. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I’d love some extras for the live album :agree:

ARK, Haggis Wampovich and slipkid like this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Btw, as a postscript to this whole mess, I learned in the thread for the Al Stewart Year of the Cat SDE (the item which DD screwed up on then compounded their mistake to the nth degree with their pathetic customer "service" dept) that the SAME thing happened to another guy, in that he ALSO received an empty box from them because they failed to tape it shut - obviously they must use somewhat of an automated process which applies tape to the boxes and a machine must have either run out of tape or failed in some other way, afflicting both of us and who knows how many more people!!

He at least was able to get his $ back in about a month; me I waited like 2 months then tired of getting the runaround from them so was forced to complain to my creditcard. But then that causes ME to get in trouble with sister company ImportCDs so they start canceling my preorders once they go to the release stage???!! Are you kidding me???

They should be bending over backwards to apologize for how they created this whole mess and handled it like incompetent jerks, and make up for all the hassle and wasted time they put me through, not making MORE hassles for me. I still have another preorder pending with them that I had already placed (BeBopDeluxe Live In the Air Age SDE) which I expect to also get canceled once that goes live (so I also ordered it through Amazon) but I realize now that they are SO INCOMPETENT maybe my order will go through by mistake. Whatever. If I get 2 sets I'll sell the extra one eventually since the price will skyrocket when it goes OOP.....rant over...even though they save you $$$ buyer beware, if ANYTHING goes wrong you'll spend days/weeks/months wasting time trying to get your $$ back. I'll never give either of these companies another penny, not worth the trouble.

Jimmy Agates and Slim Zooms like this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

What he said, and the word "Hole" above is also a reference to one of their album titles!

ARK, Slim Zooms and EdwinM like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

A UFO-like SITA expanded multi-show boxset of that would get a lot of play in my house!

I'd be up for something with multiple different tours, complete shows, unreleased live stuff more though.

And even though I already own 3 versions of Naked (actually think I gave away the 1st two and only kept the "complete" version in the end), then also Naked II and Naked III, I'd be up for more in that vein if they have more in the vaults.

What a friggin' great show this is. My fave "unplugged" set of anybody:

Btw, seeing/hearing this on VHS/CD at the time convinced me to buy a Taylor acoustic (an 810 at the time). Such great tone & feel. Best acoustic I ever owned...

P.S. I've left that vid playing while I've been reading emails etc. OMG. I 4got how great the version of Mad Love is on there. Great acoustic jamfest.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    JoelWat, Slim Zooms and MJConroy like this.
  18. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

WOW! Instant buy for me!!!
    Moontan was my introduction to Golden Earring and I became a HUGE fan. I have every album and song they have ever released (even before the boxsets came out a couple years ago).
    I have the U.S.,U.K., and Dutch lps of Moontan (besides the track differences on the U.S. version, the Dutch gatefold lacks some airbrushing done on the other "rear" photos).

The new artwork shows the cover of Cleveland's Scene magazine - I saw them in Cleveland several times and still have my copy of that issue of Scene! In the interview with Rinus, the interviewer notes, "A couple of the stations here in Cleveland are starting to play "Radar Love."
    I also recognize the review of Moontan next to it - it is from the June 20, 1974 issue of Rolling Stone.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    siebrand, RAT1, Slim Zooms and 3 others like this.
  19. PineBark

Can you open a new account with them using a different email address?

20. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

I was lucky enough to meet the band at an in-store appearance when they were promoting the "Cut" lp (all except George).
    Rinus was patient enough to hang around a long time and answered all my questions. Told me about the solo album he was in the middle of recording.

Slim Zooms and EdwinM like this.
  21. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

The Dutch tv has this 1979 concert somewhere in their archive
    https://youtu.be/57Yl0Jey2hE

ARK, LGJ and Slim Zooms like this.
  22. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

After I got the "Complete Naked Truth" I donated my "Naked Truth" cds to the library of XM Radio. Every so often, on the Deep Tracks station, I will hear Mad Love from that cd!

slipkid and Slim Zooms like this.
  23. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Hi Wouter,

very glad to hear your involvement in the series but last year you told us that the Golden Earring had no interest in archive releases? What changed? The illness and break-up as a band?
    Can you explain if possible.

ARK likes this.
  24. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Holy cow I had no idea. 50 years! I just hope this is not brickwalled.

25. PineBark

60 years!

siebrand, Opeth and ARK like this.