Golden Earring - new boxset "The Complete Studio Recordings"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MJConroy, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I would have prefered the original back covers of the albums. Now all albums have the same back cover, a new design for all discs.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Whaaaa? That's weird, and a terrible decision.

Slim Zooms and Endymion like this.
  3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

People may want to consider the original Polydor CD's for albums prior to "The Hole", they sound better than the Red Bullets IMO.

Warren Hawk likes this.
  4. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Been giving this box set a quite substantial listen over the past few days and can't believe this band pretty much passed me by all these years - great stuff indeed.

Slim Zooms, ARK, jon9091 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jimmy Agates

That's not quite accurate. The format of the tracklistings are the same on all discs (ie font and layout) but the background images are all different and I assume the original art.

6. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Amazing album. Yellow And Blue is a great track!

7. Jimmy Agates

This is a box set that just keeps on giving...I don't think I've heard a track I don't like and I'm working backwards with only 5 cds to go (currently playing Eight Miles High)

Slim Zooms, ARK and Juggsnelson like this.
  8. Side one of Wall of Dolls is great stuff. I prefer the version of Big Tree, Blue Sea on this album.

Their run from 70-75 was hot!

9. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I think their 1991-now output is pretty great as well! Face It is an awesome album and Love Sweat is one of my favorite albums as well.

Slim Zooms, slipkid and Jimmy Agates like this.
  10. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Still, my favourite song is out of 1979...

Slim Zooms likes this.
  11. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

This is also a great one after that run (out of 1984), 'When the Lady Smiles' which was, strangely enough, being used as campaign song of Hillary Clinton in 2008. Maybe her team never watched the original video clip of that song which was broadcasted here in Holland, but not in the US?

I thought Anton Corbijn, coming also from The Hague, directed this video clip which raised some controvery...

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Slim Zooms likes this.
  12. I have this box on my wish list. It's amazing how many records they made- especially with the same 4 core guys.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  13. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

They should have just used the original art, IMO. Not a redesigned format.

Slim Zooms and Jimmy Agates like this.
  14. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I thought Dick Maas directed it. But you are certainly right about the controversy!

Echo likes this.
  15. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

No, it was Dick Maas who direct this video. As a film director he was at his most popular around that time (with the movies De Lift and Flodder). Anton Corbijn directed Quiet Eyes.

Echo likes this.
  16. Forklifter

Forklifter Forum Resident

I have Moontan through No debts,doesn't even sound like the same band to me after that.

17. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I got mine from Import CDs today. This may sell out quickly, so don't hesitate. It took three weeks for mine to ship.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  18. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I was spared the temptation. ImportCDs is showing "Backorder" on it again. Just took delivery of a few boxes anyway, so it'll be a few months before I've got the listening space to pick this one up. Will probably do so over the summer though. :D

19. Jimmy Agates

Apparently this set is limited to 4,000 copies so should be around for a while you'd think...

20. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Hmm... Didn't realize it was a limited deal. May have to slightly more attentively look for it to come back in stock...

21. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Better buy the original CDs or the first run of Red Bullet remasters. They are easy and cheap to get. You won't have a fancy box set but better sound quality.

22. Redearth

Redearth Forum Resident

Even the front covers are not original. It's ugly. Look at Switch (left from box, right original).

[​IMG]

23. Redearth

Redearth Forum Resident

Front cover Together (left from box, right original):

[​IMG]

jon9091, bibijeebies and Who'sTommy like this.
  24. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I'm only on the eighth album so far, but I am really enjoying this collection! Prior to this, the only Golden Earring I've ever owned is the "Continuing Story" compilation. I think "Cut" and "N.E.W.S." are the only albums I've ever heard before.

Slim Zooms and Jimmy Agates like this.
  25. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

FYI, I scanned nearly every CD as I was having trouble finding decent artwork. I haven't uploaded anything other than the three Non-Album Tracks discs to Discogs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.