Golden Earring 'Switch' question?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Highway Star, Apr 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member Thread Starter

I'm contemplating the purchase of GE's Switch on cd and there seems to be 2 versions. One is the oop Polydor version, and the other is a remastered one on Red Bullet (?). Should I go with the Polydor?

2. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Go with the recent Red Bullet 'remaster'. Claims to not be remastered but it sounds WAY better than the old Polydor CD, so it must have been. The old West German Polydor CD's sounded flat and lifeless to me. The Red Bullet titles sound fresh. In fact, I'd say it's the best I've ever heard Switch. And I've been spinning this album since '75. I also have Red Bullet "No Promises No Debts" which also walks all over the Polydor CD and Canadian LP.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Yes, that's true... unfortunately they have a low end scanner for reproducing the artwork... otherwise the most reissues sound better than the Polydor pressings, incl. the classic Moontan.

4. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Which Moontan is Steve's version, the original or the remaster?

5. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member Thread Starter

:shake: Oh well, looks like I'll be tracking down a copy on the Red Bullet label. I picked up a Polydor on ebay at $10.49. When I posted this thread the auction only had a couple hours to go so I went for it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info peoples!

6. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

The original MCA (still available in Canada, real cheap) is Steve's version. This is the best version I have heard, along with the original UK Track LP.

Don't sweat it. It's cool to have both, then you can compare yourself. Sometimes it's nice to have two versions so you can decide which one you prefer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.