Golden Globe Nominations 2021- Time Have Changed!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Feb 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

I did a quick search of all of the nominations and, I could be mistaken, but not one major network got nominated for anything; all cable and streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO MAX, Apple TV, Disney +, etc. . That tells me a lot about the quality of programming coming from ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX.

Thoughts and Opinions?

2. Well, nothing has changed as far as these awards are concerned. They're still a gaggle of millionares, glad-handing each other, playing pocket pool several nights out of the year.

But yeah, watching primetime TV these days is like visiting your Uncle Cleetus and Aunt Wileen at the trailerpark. It's okay for a while, until the highline wires begin rotting your teeth out and you grow an extra toe.

3. audiomixer

I agree, but I still find it an interesting paradigm shift. So many people, several of them here, insist that there is nothing to warrant the cost of cable or streaming because "there is nothing good to watch" and yet seem quite satisfied with the rehashed programming on the major networks.

4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I haven't watched network TV regularly in over 20 years, and the odd episode or two of a few shows I've seen at friends' houses or in waiting rooms hasn't convinced me I'm missing anything. That stuff has to be rotting people's brains, or at least turning them into sheep.

unclefred and audiomixer like this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

6. audiomixer

The only show I watch on network television that deserves kudos is "This Is Us". "NCIS", "Law and Order", any and all hospital or emergency dramas?!? Just shoot me!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. MikaelaArsenault

The reason why there are no networks nominated is because nobody watches network TV anymore and a lot of people stream.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  8. [​IMG]

Yup. Those ae pretty bad, homie. :winkgrin:

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  9. audiomixer

I don't agree totally. Lots and lots of people watch network television. I know many people who will not pay for HBO, Showtime or any streaming service. And they can afford it. Their feeling is that you can turn on the television and watch it for free with commercials.

JediJones and jlocke08 like this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

So many of the nominations this year have no cultural significance for people under 50. What a joke. May too much repeat nominations from previous years and multiple nominations this year.

-No nominations for HBO’s I May Destroy You it’s star, writer, and director Michaela Coel?

-The Flight Attendant nominated for best Comedy tv series? Seriously?

-Best Actress for tv series: do they have seriously give 2 of the 5 nominations to The Crown? And repeat nominations for Ozark and The Killing?

-Best tv series: Ozark and The Crown. These 2 again?

-Movies: Nomadland and Minari aren’t even available to watch yet and look boring.

Dissidence likes this.
  11. Mikaela, I can't make a stream strong enough to pee on even half of those primetime gems! :help:

That said, of course I'm kidding. Just because I don't like them means nothing. Far be it from me to truly disparage one's innocent pleasures.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. audiomixer

"The Flight Attendant" is brilliantly funny and compelling.

13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I think it has limited appeal. Either Dave (FX) and What We Do In The Shadows (FX) would be my choices for a nomination in that category.

14. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

every one needs to remember these are "voted" on or chosen by FOREIGN journalists. mainly from outside the US. they have different tastes and really just want as many A-List stars at their party as possible. so always take any nominees with a big grain of salt. means even less than most awards IMO.

15. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Ozark and The Crown are easily at the top of any list of shows to watch among what's out there. and the acting in Ozark is phenomenal IMO.

16. audiomixer

Do you have viewership numbers to support your claim or is it just your opinion?

17. MikaelaArsenault

Then I take what I said back.

18. jrice

jrice Senior Member

Interesting that NBC would still want to broadcast the ceremony.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  19. audiomixer

They probably have contract.

jrice likes this.
  20. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I don't care one whit about the Globes and as far as network offerings and their increasing slide from honor, well that has been going on with the Emmys for quite a while now. And why not when so much of their landscape comprises police, firefighter and medical dramas as well as singing competitions and lately, game shows which used to be a staple of daytime programming but now get primetime slots 3 or 4 nights a week. Sure, some of this is a direct result of the 'Rona but the larger picture involves financial concerns and plummeting viewership. It is most certainly a sea change that will only continue as new and different platforms emerge going forward.

jlocke08 and Brenald79 like this.
  21. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

If I'm to infer that Big Sky got bupkis, then I am outraged.

22. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Yeah, they signed an 8-year deal in 2018. But I imagine terms might have been modified to account for the pandemic. In normal times, awards shows are a great platform for femme-skewing advertisers.

jrice likes this.
  23. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

It’s been clear for a long time that network TV is not where the good stuff is. But I can’t subscribe to 6 or more streaming services (I have two), so I am increasingly shut out. I always watched the Golden Globes, mainly for the films, but now that those have also moved to 6 or more streaming services (or exhorbitant VOD fees), I’m mostly shut out of those too.

I’m kind of sad that I can’t watch the Globes this year and be familiar with most of the films and film performances. I’ll probably skip it this year.

24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

How do you know? Have you seen many of the other dozens and dozens of dramas from 2020 from other networks and throughout the world? Those 2 shows would never have gotten so many nominations if they weren’t on Netflix.

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Nice to see Hollywood can still find time to pat itself on the back even in the midst of a pandemic.

I'm puzzled by the noms for "Borat 2". I thought it was horrible. Not funny or clever at all. And I'm a fan of the first film. Maybe it's just me.

As far as the rest, I honestly have seen very very little of it, either due to lack of streaming services at my disposal or general disinterest in the world around me (mostly the latter, heh). Yes, times have certainly changed. We're getting to a point now where you gotta subscribe to a dozen different services just to keep up on what's hip.

Where are the noms for "Cobra Kai", dammit? And why isn't IG-11 nominated for best supporting actor?

I look forward to finding out what unwatchable motion picture takes the big prize at The Oscars this year! When did "crowd-pleasing" become a crime? I'm looking at you, 'sex with the fish man' movie. Gross.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.