Goldring 1042 cartridge. Opinions needed.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jamie Tate, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

After a long wait (over 3 months) I finally found a Rega P3 (thanks for the help duff138) that I'm allowed to purchase with Rega's new, strict rules about territories. I wanted an Elys cartridge but he doesn't have one. What do you guys think of the Goldring 1042?

2. sgraham

sgraham New Member

It's been quite a while since I've heard one of the Goldrings in this family. My recollection is that it had *lots* of depth, really nice sound. Not up to Shure standards on sibilance tracking (but warmer).

3. Jamie Tate

Thanks Steve.

I've found a post in the archives that made note of it's darker tone and another that called it "not the best but it works for me." Hmm.

I'm wondering if I'll be dissapointed when I compare it to an Elys cartridge later on.

4. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I used to have a 1012, and it was a good cartridge for the money - a fairly detailed sound, maybe not as much warmth and space as you would get with more expensive stuff, but nice.

You really may want to ask people over at the Vinyl Asylum to see what they might think about the P3/Goldring combination. What kind of phono stage would you be using?

5. Jamie Tate

I have a Musical Fidelity XLPS on order. Some forum members told me it was good.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

7. Ben

Ben New Member

Hi. I've owned both the Goldring 1012 that came with my MMF-5 and the Elys. which I ran on my Rega P25 for about three months...

The advantage to the Elys is that alignment and install is easy - three holes line up in the arm and you're there.

The disadvantage is - the cart is nothing special, not really. Good tracking and a fairly decent representation of the soundstage. It just kind of let me feeling...nothing. Nice, kind of sterile sounding...

On the 1012GX....it was also a decent sounding cart that married to the arm of the Music Hall very well. But, again, it was just okay. Did it track well? Yes. Did it represent the highs, mids, and lows decently? Yes. Did it set my toes a-tapping? No.

The thing is, I think these carts are pretty similar in sound, stature, and not surprisingly, price. Kind of twin sons of different mothers. The Elys is pure Rega - fairly dry, detailed and not too exciting. The Goldring is warm, detailed and not too exciting. Both represent lower rungs on the companies product ladder. Both induce a longing to upgrade for "more." Both properly fill their role as mid to entry level intros to their respective cartridge lines...

I have never heard the 1042 so can't comment there...as I recall, I think Holy Zoo was running a MMF-5 with a 1012 and then upgraded to a 1042....or he wanted to...I can't remember, maybe he'll chime in...

Anyway, I purchased a Dynavector MKII moving coil for my Rega three months ago and have never looked (or listened) back...it is an incredible cartridge that fully brings my analogue set-up to bloom...it's high-output design fit perfectly with my system...no extra phonostage needed...no screwing around...

You get what you pay for. Unless you're addicted to this hobby - then, in my opinion, you get much, much more....

All the Best,

Ben

8. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

10. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

I'll talk to my brother-in-law today. If you buy a rega cartridge directly from England you can save a lot of money. I'll get the sites he had looked at and I'll send them to you later today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.