Goliath, Season 4 (expected 2021 on Amazon streaming)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chrome_Head, Dec 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Well, the good news is, there will indeed be a season 4 of the Billy Bob-starring show Goliath. Production on the 4th season was of course stalled by the pandemic, but apparently they were able to resume with the help of something called "SafeSet" compliance technology.

The bad news? It's being widely confirmed that S4 will be the show's last.

I know there are fans of the series here, let this be the discussion thread for the eventual final season. What do you make of this news? I'm a bit of the mind that 4 seasons is good place to leave it, things tend to get a little forced on most shows after 4-5 seasons. I also don't think this show ever topped its 1st season, though there were several amusing and interesting bits in S2-3.

[​IMG]

Goliath: Season Four; Production to Begin on Final Season of Amazon Series - canceled + renewed TV shows - TV Series Finale

Goliath Season 4 release date and cast latest: When is it coming out?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Great that the 4th season is still a go. Sucks that it’s the last season. I like my shows going long. 7,8,9 seasons.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

I stumbled upon ' Goliath ' one night browsing for something to watch and glad I did.
    First season was great, the second not so much perhaps and the third was otherworldly.
    Terrific show. Only going four seasons? So be it but hope it goes out with a bang.

Juan Matus and Chrome_Head like this.
  4. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

i liked the 2nd season best, so over-the-top weird.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  5. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I thought the first season was very good (although the William Hurt sexual peccadillo stuff could have been cut down/out).

The second season started OK and then it seemed like something must have happened behind the scenes because it petered out, the episode count was short, and it ended perfunctorily.

The third season was pretty decent, but not up to the level of season 1.

Will definitely watch the fourth season.

yesstiles and Chrome_Head like this.
  6. Chrome_Head

I thought S2 was a bit meh overall, but the episode where the bad guys were holding Billy captive in the house in Mexico was brilliant, one of the best episodes of the series.

I also hope they can recapture some of the magic of the earlier parts of the show and end strong. Either way, Billy Bob and the cast are great on it, and it’s always a fun watch.

And apparently JK Simmons will join the cast for S4, which is awesome.

Juan Matus likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Chrome_Head likes this.
  8. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I thought it was announced last year that S4 would be the last, but maybe not. Anyway, I assumed it would be. I really like the show a lot. Some didn't like the trippy aspect of S3 but I enjoyed it well enough. I'd much rather a TV series goes out leaving you wanting a bit more than hanging around for far too long like The Walking Dead.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  9. Chrome_Head

I think of Dexter when I think of a show that went on for far too long. It began to strain its premise around S4 and just got more ridiculous, going about 8 or 9 seasons.

Breaking Bad had a good length of 5 seasons (the 5th and last being longer and spread across two years). The spinoff, Better Call Saul, will apparently end at 6. I think 5-6 seasons is usually a good place to end a series before it gets stale or stupid or tedious.

Barnabas Collins likes this.
  10. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

I've watched it, and I'll watch a 4th season, but I wouldn't rank it in any sort of "top-something" lists. It's good enough to keep my interest, and that's about it.

vegafleet, socorro and kwadguy like this.
  11. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Didn't BBT take a shot gun blast to the gut at close range at the end of season 3?

12. Chrome_Head

He was definitely shot, can't remember if it was from a shotty or not.

Watch, this whole final season will end up being a figment of Billy's imagination before he dies from that wound.

Juan Matus likes this.
  13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Even The Sopranos started to decline after season 5. It has to be a matter of the writing getting stale, and not finding any new plot lines. A recent example of the exception is Bosch. But those scripts are essentially already written and require adaptation. I cannot think of shows that did not decline by 4th or 5th year. I suppose Law and Order (?).And of course, as already mentioned, Dexter set the gold standard for a great show turning into dreck.

14. Chrome_Head

Much as I loved The Wire, season 5 strained the credulity the show had established a bit.

Six Feet Under ended at a good place—5 seasons. Anything more would probably have been too much.

4-5 seems to be a good stopping point, though I haven’t seen Bosch. I could actually see a show like Goliath going longer because its premise lends itself well to new situations every season. But BBT is probably too pricey for Amazon to keep hiring.

15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

An advantage Bosch has for longevity is that each season is around 3 of Michael Connelly’s novels mixed together by Connelly himself. The show is ending and they’ve only used half of his novels so for. Seems like it could go 6 more seasons with no drop off of quality.

Dhreview16 likes this.
  16. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I've just started binging `Goliath' after avoiding it since I got Prime. I'm well into
    season two and loving it. I think it's maybe a notch below `Bosch' but riveting still.
    I do find Billy's relationship with the LA mayoral candidate to be a bit far-fetched
    but.....can't wait to get back at it tonight.

Myke, Brenald79 and Chrome_Head like this.
  17. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I just started watching this and so far think it's a pretty good show. Only 1 episode in though.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

When Tony's son became the focus of the show was when I tuned out...

19. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

I will most likely watch season 4 but the show has seemed to slip a gear each season. Hopefully, they come up with something good for this season to go out on a high note.

vegafleet and Chrome_Head like this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hoping for no extended psychedelic trips. Actually, no trips at all--physical or otherwise. Those have resulted in most of the worst episodes.

21. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I imagine I'll watch season 4, but I thought things slipped season 3.

22. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

There were two problems with season 5.

1. Most importantly, David Simon was trying to settle scores with his former editors at the Sun. I'm sure it felt satisfying in the moment but it was noticeably weaker (less plausible, less compelling, less relevant to the overarching theme of the series) than the standard the series set. Which brings us to the next problem . . .
    2. It followed season 4, which is the best season of any TV show ever.

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

While I could nitpick about minor problems with each season of the Wire, the show was overall excellent--and I mean all seasons were excellent, including season 5. Each focused on a different corruption or failing element of society and the press is just as important as any other because citizens rely on the press to understand the other problems. Previous seasons had focused on complex, entrenched, systemic problems that make Baltimore what it is: drug money, the port/unions, various municipal departments, the education system. Season 5 shows how the public isn't getting honest reporting, and how the press can be gamed and corrupted just like the other elements of the city. That's important because none of the other problems will get fixed without good press. So I think it is equally compelling and relevant to the theme of the series. As for how McNulty played the press: I think you saw all along how he was capable of going to these lengths under the right circumstances. And I also agree that Simon had a personal incentive to focus on the press, but at the end of the day it was no more personal than all the other problems in Baltimore that he understood so well.

Chrome_Head and marmalade166 like this.
  24. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I really liked this show. I look forward to the last Season. Billy Bob is one of my favorite actors of all time. He seems like he can do almost any role.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  25. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.