GONG Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy [Remastered] Charly 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bagstiv, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Hillage was heavily involved in the production of his own box.

JediJoker likes this.
  2. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Perhaps Madfish are an entirely separate and more trustworthy entity than Charly, despite both being part of the Snapper Group?

3. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I don't really know. I also try to avoid everything Charly, simply because the quality is often questionable.

JediJoker and bleachershane like this.
  4. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

I have always seen Charly as a c**ppy cheapo label putting out mostly compilations of badly recorded live versions of "the original hits by the original artists" with ugly cover art. I have some of their older box sets, such as the Yardbirds and Small Faces box sets, as they were the only place to get the most of everything in one place. I wasn't very happy with the mastering, no-noised and treble-boosted.
    Of the Gong releases the new Camembert remaster is surprisingly good, and I guess they really had low-gen tapes for it (originally released on BYG and later on Virgin). I think what they have for the Flying Teapot is an unfinished mix of the album, which is in itself an interesting thing but it never should have replaced the Virgin vinyl mix as the only available version. Haven't heard the BYG original, but that one and the Virgin lp were both released in 1973. The rest of the trilogy then... When Angel's Egg came out BYG was already dead and gone, and I really can't see how it became a part of the Charly thing. Angel's Egg or You were released originally by Virgin only, and I don't think Charly released them until late 80's or early 90's for the first time. And have you seen the cover art for Charly Angel's Egg and You? Both of them hit the most ugly cover art top 10 quite easily. The Flying Teapot had a different cover art with BYG vs. Virgin, and the later Charly versions at least replicate the BYG version, but those other two... Such a pair of rotten eggs, them.

5. uncle AK

uncle AK Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Sorry for the misinformation. It was the Decal/Phalax cd cover of You which was the ugliest one...

JediJoker likes this.
  6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Their Camembert remaster is super as is their Red Krayola 'God Bless The....'

Mr. H likes this.
  7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Got a one word response from Jonny G when I asked if the Universal Trilogy release was still planned or cancelled. "Coming," he said.

8. Munster

Munster Forum Resident

It seems that the long-promised archive releases from Gong will soon be available. There is nothing yet on what will be released specifically, but to date there have been these announcements from the Gong Appreciation Society’s Jonny Greene.

January 16 2018: ‘What to expect in 2018?

With continuing fair winds most probably this:-

A 4LP box-set with booklet
    A 3CD/1DVD ear-book set.
    A 2CD set with a limited single LP highlights version
    A 15 CD Boxset with book and possibly stuff...

...and then 2019 is Gong's 50th anniversary...

If I said more I would have to kill you and then it wouldn't all get done.’

April 23: ‘We have HHH&G (Howlett, Hillage, Heyworth and Greene) working on it - right now’

April 24: ‘How about all the full, complete, multi-tracked gigs parts of which were on 'Live Etc.' - i.e. all the Gong gigs that are in the Universal archives.’

All is revealed at https://www.planetgong.co.uk/outland...php?f=3&t=1285

JediJoker, uzn007, caravan70 and 8 others like this.
  9. Munster

Munster Forum Resident

It looks like the trilogy is included. It gets better by the day.

April 26: 'There is actually more than that...there's another complete '74 gig included that's not listed there - one that hadn't 'escaped' before - even we didn't have it. It's short (50 mins) but perfectly formed.

...and as for 5.1 - well not the complete trilogy in that format, but back in the day one of the three was mixed for those with 4 ears, so it was thought why not give it a buff and polish and include it...'

https://www.planetgong.co.uk/outland...php?f=3&t=1285

10. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

A 4Lp box, that sounds fine! Even if my 3Lps Charly Boxset is not as bad as I thought, I'll be happy to offer to my favorite band of dreamers real money. :love:

11. Munster

Munster Forum Resident

The latest news from Jonny on the forum at Planet Gong (www.planetgong.co.uk):

“The Virgin Gong Years collection will not be the same scale as the 'Searching For The Spark' box-set - and therefore not the same price.

The format Universal are wedded to is similar to their Alex Harvey 'Last of The Teenage Idols' slipped-cased/box-set/collection. Look that up if you want to get an idea.

Not sure what the final size of the Gong affair will be - 14 to 16 discs. It depends how it all jigsaws together. I'm gathering the images from the archives and hopefully conjuring up the right words to tell the Virgin Gong tale in 60 x 9.5 inch perfectly formed pages - well that's the aim. May I be guided by daevid and Gilli...

The aim is an Autumn release but these 'super-tanker' companies sometimes move glacially, so there is a possibility that it ends up being released next Spring.”

By my reckoning that covers the period from Camembert Electrique to Expresso II, just about perfect. Will the seven Virgin albums be replicated, leaving eight or nine albums for live recordings/outtakes? Who knows.

12. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

That sounds like a lot of Gong. I hope to get to listen to some of it, but like many Gong fans last seen leading their dogs around on a clothesline it sounds like it will be a bit expensive for me to purchase outright.

13. paletro

paletro Forum Resident

Never could buy one of these enormous boxes. Single albums pleeeeeease... Why don't start now, one by one, in chronological order ? It's spring already !

14. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

And the anticipation grows...

15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

My favourite additions to this new box would be

Any extra music from the Glastonbury Fayre giggle.
    Any extra music from the Gong side of the Dingwalls 2xLP
    Any unreleased music from the Camembert album.

caravan70 likes this.
  16. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Just got my remastered Camembert on vinyl and it sounds fantastic, just want the Radio Gnome trilogy ( original source) on vinyl and anything else would just be a glorious bonus.

17. Emanuele1088

Emanuele1088 New Member

Hi there, is these the vigin universal new cds that you are talking about? Thanks

[​IMG]

18. Emanuele1088

Emanuele1088 New Member

19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

20. Emanuele1088

Emanuele1088 New Member

These are digital remaster made by universal (2015). Someone knows how do they sound? And how about their dinamic range? Thanks

21. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

No word on the Flying Teapot Universal trilogy box set yet?

22. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

So are these the same masters that Universal will use on the long-awaited Gong box?

23. Emanuele1088

Emanuele1088 New Member

I don't know

24. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Jonny's last post about the new release was back in June -

by jonny » 05 Jun 2018, 12:41
    ""Mike Howlett's response on hearing Simon Heyworth's re-mastered 'Shamal' for the Universal Gong box-ette release.

"Just finished listening through and it sounds brilliant! I love what you have done to the bottom end - bass is much warmer but the kick hasn’t got boomy or lost it’s punch and the top end has retained presence - excellent!
    Cheers Mike"

I've not heard it myself yet...""

So, just guessing, if the Japan releases weren't remastered by Simon Heyworth then they aren't what will be in the box. But I really have no definitive idea...

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Thanks for the heads-up. All we need is for some enterprising person to buy one of the boxes :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.