Good deals on Amazon.co.uk--updated regularly (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by superstar19, Oct 15, 2014.

1. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Hello,

We're introducing some improvements to payments and authorisations in order to simplify your shopping experience on Amazon.

When you pre-order an item that is yet to be released, we charge you the full order amount when the item gets dispatched.
    If the shipping date is set after more than five days, that charge occurs on the fifth day since your order was placed.

We’ll dispatch your item as soon as it gets released. You can check updates to your order status, or cancel your order anytime before it gets dispatched, by visiting Your Orders at Amazon Sign In .

Whenever you pre-order a book, CD, video, DVD, video game or software item from Amazon, the price you pay will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.co.ukbetween the time you place your order up to and including the end of the day of the release date. If your order qualifies for the Pre-Order Price Guarantee, you'll be refunded the price difference once your order dispatches.

Immediately after you place an order, we now request your bank to authorise the full order amount. At this stage you’re not being charged yet – your bank is reserving the funds until the transaction processes.

We only charge the full order amount when all the items included in your order have been shipped. Should an item require more than 5 days for dispatching, your payment method is charged on the fifth day since your order was placed.

This new experience will avoid processing multiple authorisations and charges for the same order.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    latheofheaven likes this.
  2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Not cool.

imarcq likes this.
  3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Seriously not cool.

imarcq likes this.
  4. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this information. I also think that this is bad business. Just think of the amount of money amazon.co.uk will sit on yielding interest. I won't pre-order stuff on amazon.co.uk anymore.
    I have a lot of pre-orders via amazon.fr because you can really save money. So far they haven't charged the credit card until after the package had been sent.
    I do hope that this policy won't be adopted by all the other local amazon stores.

Haha, what a load of...

imarcq likes this.
  5. imarcq

I didn't ask her about other EU Amazon sites. Hopefully different rules? She didn't know about USA Amazon either. Maybe just testing the water in UK first?

6. Good to hear you got some level of satisfaction, but the fact is this "new" policy is no "improvement" on the previous policy, as your experince proved. It was all so unessessary. The fact this change of policy is not/was not mentioned on their own website before you placed your order is further evidence of their deteriorating, and ever increasing misleading website.

7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I’ve just gone to my preorders and cancelled over a hundred quid's worth of orders.

I can’t see how they can earn interest if the funds are simply 'earmarked'.

But earmarked funds nevertheless play havoc MY end.

I’m now debating cancelling Prime.

lightbulb, Dubmart and tubesandvinyl like this.
  8. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly!
    I find it strange that there obviously has been no communication. I'd have expected an e-mail informing the customers.

lightbulb likes this.
  9. imarcq

Me too! It was only when I saw a debit from my account I realized. Another manager just called and could not confirm if other EU or USA Amazon sites will or are doing this. Time will tell! I'm also not sure if longstanding pre-orders are effected. I have one from about 6 weeks ago not charged for as normal. So this must be very recent, with a cut off date for earlier pre-orders.

10. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

I can see them loosing a lot of advance pre-orders because of this.
    I've got a few pending and will go and see if I've been charged already.
    Just had a look and I haven't been charged for my pre-orders.
    All is normal.

Dubmart and imarcq like this.
  11. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I've heard about this on bluray.com. If it happens to me, I'll complain and get a goodwill voucher, but what on earth are they thinking? Everyone should complain so the feedback is loud and clear.

I'm trying to use Amazon less at the moment and this kind of crap helps.

lightbulb, Dubmart, imarcq and 2 others like this.
  12. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Me too.
    I was angry with amazon.co.uk for cancelling an order telling me "that this item is no longer available" and then less than 24 hours later the item was in stock selling at about £15 more than I would have paid.
    "Up yours too!" were my thoughts. I won't be buying there anymore.

Hopefully it will be exclusive for the UK.

imarcq likes this.
  13. imarcq

I think that existing pre-orders seem to be honoured. But it's new ones that appear to be effected. I have one from over a month ago that's definitely not been pre-charged. But the pre-order from last week has. See what happens when you try a new pre-order. They say it's 5 days after that date you are charged.

Reese likes this.
  14. imarcq

Sorry for hijacking thread but as this is a deal thread, many deals are pre-ordered. I'd feel awful if I post a pre-order deal and people unexpectedly got charged up front. I'm happy to continue via PM or even start a new discussion thread if necessary.

Dubmart, FourWalledWorld and Reese like this.
  15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Don't be sorry, this was a very important subject that is entirely related to sharing and buying deals at AmazonUK.

16. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Wow, that really is a change. So if I preorder something that will be released in let's say 60 days my bank account will get earmarked for it right away. That would really give me pause to pre-order anything expensive from them in the future and I have ordered plenty over the years. I would imagine something like a big box set that may be $300 or more earmarked on my debit card for 60 days could cause problems if you have a limit on your card for no transactions over a certain amount without authorization.

Dubmart and imarcq like this.
  17. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

Ahh think when it eventually arrives, though - it’ll feel like you’ve got it for free! :D

floyd and imarcq like this.
  18. imarcq

Unless you didn't check your bank statement and by surprise got clobbered with an unauthorized overdraft fee.... ;)

19. imarcq

This change may not apply to Amazon USA or EU. So possibly only UK for now.

floyd likes this.
  20. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

I've just got off the phone to Amazon UK and had a long conversation about this.
    They have not changed anything pre-orders will only be charged for when they've been dispatched as per normal.

21. imarcq

I beg to differ. I spoke to TWO senior managers not first contact customer services. I HAD been charged £20.33 for a new pre-order. Both told me its policy had changed and they were now alerting staff. One emailed me with the detailed letter I posted above. It won't effect all your existing pre-orders but will effect new ones. I had two very detailed conversations. I suggest you call again and speak to a senior manager.

22. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

Marc are you a prime customer?

23. imarcq

No I'm not. Maybe this policy does not apply to Prime? But they didn't say this. Her email didn't even mention Prime. Best thing is to wait and see I guess. Or do a new pre-order, wait 5 days and see if they charge you.

24. Looks like they have got so big now that the left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing.

imarcq likes this.
  25. imarcq

Here's the email again. Apologies again for no deal posting, I don't want to annoy anybody.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]