Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It’s a fantastic record, and AAA, too.

oldjollymon, hutlock and riverrat like this.
  2. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

A little girl asks her daddy why she doesn't have a sister. Her father says, "You do have a sister, it's just that whenever you come in the house, she leaves through the back door, so you never see her." The girl responds, "Oh, you mean just like my other daddy?"

slipkid, latheofheaven and bru87tr like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It seems to be the luck of the draw in whatever warehouse it gets shipped from. I've never had an LP shipped that way but I've had other things shipped stupidly. My wife gets pens shipped every month and they are always packed with something heavy so that the the boxes the pens are in are smashed up. Thankfully the pens are always OK. Sometimes other things like cookies or crackers end up demolished. My LPs and LP boxes have always been appropriately packed though. Had a couple of CD packages at the bottom of a pile before though and luckily they were not damaged.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

question:

is there a way to locate new (and qualifying for free shipping) CD's selling for $5 or less, or do you have just hit and miss?

thanks!

5. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

enter "cd under 5 dollars prime" and your search will populate with CDs that are $5 and less, sometimes the current price will be higher but if you look in the offers there will be a prime offering at under $5 (usually a warehouse offering).

slipkid and Shawn like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

:tiphat:

7. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Received my Kenny Drew - Undercurrent DVD-A from Acoustic Sounds today (for $2 + shipping). Wow, this sounds fantastic. What a steal.

aoxomoxoa and CraigVC like this.
  8. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

My All Things Must Pass LP arrived in an LP mailer-type box that was inside a larger Amazon box. Not sure if the album was originally packaged in the inner box by the manufacturer or Amazon, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Craig and latheofheaven like this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

LOL.

Btw, I just figured something out thx to witnessing a neighbor getting a package delivered from AMAZON.

Some of my Amazon orders get delivered via the US Post office mailman. I believe that those get a correct status of "left in mailbox" or left on porch" or something like that (?).

However some Amazon orders here get delivered by a non-descript white van, with delivery person not wearing a postal uniform, and no markings on the van saying it is a postal vehicle, and I just witnessed this today for a neighbor, how those get put on our porches rather than in our mailboxes (since they are not the US Post office per se I think they do not have the keys to get into our mailbox units - the community I live in has large box type things with different locks on each door for each unit plus several large common boxes with other keys which if those are used then the mailman puts the respective unit key in our mailboxes).

Last Friday there was a package from Amazon left on my porch. The status of it on Amazon was "Your package was delivered. It was handed directly to a resident." I assumed it was from the post office but I see now that is NOT the case. It must have been delivered by this white van guy above instead.

I thought it was odd at the time that it was not put into our mailbox thing, but sometimes the postman either can't fit the box in there or whatever so he comes to the house, leaves it on the porch, knocks on the door etc.

But looking more at the order in Amazon, down the page further it says "Shipped with Amazon" and has a tracking ID which starts with the letters "TBA". I tried using that tracking # at USPS but it is invalid (whether I enter it with the TBA preface or just the following #s).

However looking at a different order WHICH WAS LEFT IN MY MAILBOX, that one has status of "Package was left inside the residence’s mailbox". Additionally below that it has a tracking # which works on USPS AND it says "Shipped with USPS" above the tracking #.

I looked at some other orders I have already received recently (old orders do not show any of this delivery status btw). All of the ones that say "Your package was delivered. It was handed directly to a resident." also have a "TBA" tracking # and the description of "Shipped with Amazon".

To the poster who complained above of a package that should have required a delivery signature yet it was given a status of something like handed to a resident, please check your Amazon order status and see what service is credited as delivering it - USPS or "Shipped with Amazon" (or something else?).

I don't know what "Shipped with Amazon" really is but I suspect it is some type of new delivery service they are employing themselves rather than using USPS or UPS or Fedex or whatever (?).

10. Yeah, Amazon has its own fleets of contractors delivering packages. Likewise, the only people who can use a mailbox to deliver mail/packages is the USPS (which is why you never see FedEx etc. leaving things in mailboxes), so I think you've figured out the mystery.

slipkid and Matt I like this.
  11. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

black sheriff and superstar19 like this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I learned this at the age of 14, 1972-73, when I was putting flyers on the box, between the flag, and the box, for advertising purposes. I always assume it's common knowledge, which it isn't. :laugh:

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah I knew that only the USPS can get into our locked mailboxes, but I had NO IDEA that Amazon was using its own delivery service now. I wonder what determines what service that they use? In the span of about a week I've had at least one delivery each way (although I think the majority have been the "Shipped by Amazon" kind). so it's not like this is a new service that they exclusively switched to, they still use the Post Office too.

I have yet to see a helicopter drone delivery thing but can't wait for that. The status on Amazon may be something like "Delivered by airmail drone crashing through upstairs window"....

14. Myke

It's been a few years now. Around here, they use U Haul vans, and knocking, or pressing a doorbell is something they're deathly afraid of.

slipkid likes this.
  15. Myke

It's not a matter of having access via keys, it's a Federal law covering all mailboxes, whether they have keys, or are open to anyone walking by it.

lightbulb, slipkid and hutlock like this.
  16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, now that you mention it, that is what my experience has been with these packages left at my front door. What I saw today at a neighbors was the delivery guy just putting it on the porch and going away - no attempt to knock/let the people know they had a package.

And that has been the case with my packages too. On my days off I go get my mail about noon (it usually gets delivered around 11-12:00). But some days to my surprise I'll go out later in the day - or see when I get up and go to work the next morning at 6 AM - that there is a package sitting on my porch, yet I've been home the day/time it was delivered and had NO IDEA something has been sitting out there all night or whatever in the freezing cold there waiting for me.

I am going to have to try to remember from here on out, if on a day off, to check my front door every night b4 I turn in just in case the Amazon delivery folks came by after I already got my mail....

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ah interesting, OK, I did not know that. So even folks with the non-locked mailbox by the road can't get deliveries in there other than US mail.

Must be something about knocking on doors or ringing doorbells too. If my mailman drops something at the house instead of the mailbox he always "rings twice" (knocks that is). These other guys don't even get close enough to the door to do that (from what I saw today at my neighbors). They must think there is some law against that o_O

Myke likes this.
  18. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I thought I saw a black helicopter the other day. Not long afterwards I discovered an Amazon package on my doorstep. Coincidence?

GentleSenator and latheofheaven like this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Did you make sure your roof is OK?

[​IMG]

Reese and latheofheaven like this.
  20. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Careful fellow... Careful... They are listening...

[​IMG]

Reese and aoxomoxoa like this.
  21. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

ad180 and latheofheaven like this.
  22. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

[​IMG]

cdash99, JasonA, Reese and 1 other person like this.
  23. latheofheaven

Awesome! :righton:

24. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

25. latheofheaven

Thank you kindly! I shagged the TH album. The original sounds really good, but Kevin Gray, and at this price, no way I'm gonna pass that up :) Besides, as good as the 1st Sire Remain in Light is (phenomenal!) Still, the newer remaster (don't know if it also is KG) edges it out noticeably...

I've heard good things about More Songs about Buildings and Food too...

oldjollymon and waaguirr like this.