Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

2. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  3. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I wish the Springsteen collection volume 1 would dip down like this. I got vol 2 at $136.77 back in January and thought I did ok because I had not seen volume 1 come down anything substantial. (At least that I was able to catch)

4. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

The Bruce Springsteen Vol 1 vinyl set is now $144 on Amazon.
    For his first 7 albums (eight discs - since it includes The River), that seems to be a decent price.

5. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Yeah I saw that. It is a decent price and I thought about it. A look on camelcamelcamel.com tells me it did get to $110 ish for a while quite some time back (around April 2017) which I missed. I think if it got that low again I would bite but I do have all my original copies of these albums and even a classic records version of Born to Run so I not in a rush. I do like collections though, when they are well done.

lightbulb likes this.
  6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yeah, if I saw that $110 price, it’s a no-doubter.
    IIRC, considering the great reviews, this is not one to miss. However, you’ve got your originals...

floyd likes this.
  7. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

JasonA likes this.
  8. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

latheofheaven likes this.
  9. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Yeah, I'm a little confused about this too... I bought the 2008 4-LP version I THINK done by Stan Ricker at 1/2 speed. I got it just a few months ago for quite a bit less than this! This version above is 2018, but I can't see them remastering anything and I would GUESS that it is the same thing.

It is just the 4 LPs. It is not the set with the Blu-ray or the CDs.

BTW, the set sounds frigg'n AWESOME! Totally blew away my early Japanese pressing, NO comparison! MUCH more dynamic! Having the additional songs from the film is lovely! FAR more attractive to me than simply 'Alternate takes', etc. on the other 'Deluxe' versions. To me THIS one made sense! :D

I'll hafta check. I THINK I bought it from a member here, but I didn't pay ANY where near this price...

***EDIT

Yeah, I just checked. I bought it from an experienced member here for about $40! And, it was completely almost unplayed NM.

***EDIT 2

Yep, just checked Discogs. Mine was released in 2007 and was 1/2 speed mastered and the lacquer was done by Stan Ricker. The prices are about HALF the above Amazon offering, unless this set above has more to it than it appears.

I HIGHLY recommend the one I have for sound quality! Here is the Discogs link in case anyone wishes to compare:

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same

jimhb and JasonA like this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The 2007 remix is much less dynamic than the original mix and vinyl.

And I believe the more recent vinyl edition of the remix is a new cut from a new digital master of the 2007 mix, not the 2007 cut by Stan Ricker from the 2007 digital master.

11. latheofheaven

Well, I don't know what you mean by 'Remix'... I have the original and used to have an early Japanese pressing, and the 2007 pressing that I bought here blew those two away by a HUGE margin, at least on my system, which is primarily designed to favour soundstage and imaging. But, maybe you mean this newer 2018 version. I am honestly just now realizing that there are these different versions and I'm still not completely clear on what's what... I have no idea who does this newer version listed above. Mine does sound absolutely amazing though! :)

***EDIT

One thing though that I believe that I am definitely hearing, is that the album spread over 4 LPs instead of two I feel makes a HUGE difference in dynamics and sound.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The original 1977 mix is considerably more dynamic than the 2007 mix. The 2007 mix uses a lot more dynamic range compression than the original mix.

And the 2007 vinyl of the 2007 mix is slightly less dynamic than the 2018 vinyl of the same mix.

I don’t know what you hearing that you’re conflating with dynamics (actually I can probably guess), but the 2007 mix is pretty compressed and no version or mastering if it is going to make it dynamic. But if you like it, you like it.

13. latheofheaven

Hmmm, interesting... Well, I am clueless about all these different 'Mixes', but you likely know more about it than I do. You are just stating ultimate conclusions, 'This is that, and that is this', so I guess you have prompted me to do some reading and research then :) All I know is that my early Japanese by comparison sounded like it was coming from deep inside a 'can' compared to this new 4-LP one that I got, where you feel like you've just been dropped onto the middle of the stage :D

Thanks for the somewhat brief but intriguing information though, so that I can look into it and learn more! :righton:

*** EDIT

I WILL admit though, that my impression was based just upon a VERY brief comparison when I first got this new one. And, I've certainly been known to come to some inaccurate conclusions a BIT to quickly in the past [​IMG]

14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

15. latheofheaven

16. latheofheaven

Wow, I just read through almost that entire thread. Heh, that poor ol' 2007 pressing did NOT get much love, that's for sure :) I could see that our dear ol' Marcb above made the most scathing comments. *sigh... I guess I just hafta go back and re-listen to it again. I just THOUGHT I remembered the original pressing not really sounding that good... Oh well... gotta get it out again... I'm REALLY gonna hafta stop all these snap judgments I keep making during my first listening impressions! [​IMG]

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  17. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I get that and it’s cool that you are going to revisit but remember... your ears are your ears and your system is your system. If you love it and no one else does, who cares? What matters is that YOU love it. Don’t let the rest of us talk you into thinking something is bad if you really dig it. Plenty of room here on SHTV for differing opinions!

18. latheofheaven

Heh, thanks Hutlock, you're always such a nice guy :)

Well, and I promise this is indeed my LAST post here on this subject, and I WILL cough up a few deals so I don't get lynched! :D But, I found the initial review thread of the 2007 release, and I'm glad I did because I'm finding it a LOT more balanced. 2 people, Timjo and I forget the other, who have fairly high-end, transparent systems, have both spoken rather highly of the sonics AND the wide soundstage (which is what I THOUGHT I heard...) So, that makes me feel like maybe I am not a COMPLETE fool! :yikes:

I THINK that perhaps the issue involving the edits and placement choices are amongst the most vocal complaints about this pressing. Some have stated too that they felt that the original US mix and pressing perhaps came across as somewhat more muddy and subdued as compared to this 2007 1/2 speed Stan Ricker remaster, which was my initial impression (in a BIG way...) I'm only on page 2 of this thread, but at least I'm STARTING to feel a bit better now... :)

DEALS COMING! I PROMISE!

***EDIT

Oh, and FWIW, I think Amazon has this one for like $26.xx too! :D

Cheers!

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same - 4LP set 180 gram vinyl *

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    hutlock and aoxomoxoa like this.
  19. latheofheaven

20. latheofheaven

superstar19 likes this.
  21. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Not the biggest fan of Zeps Song Remains the Same. No Quarter i love but the rest just ok. Only have 80s vinyl.

Used to worship the movie in high school. Still pretty cool. Haven't seen it in a while though.

This thread got me to put the words, vinyl deals, in amazons search. Got a few, records. Primus (desaturating seven], Morrissy [Low in high school], Kyuss [Wretch}, Zombies [Oddesy and oracle} all about 12 bucks each.

Thanks all for the push.

22. latheofheaven

aoxomoxoa, SJP and Greenalishi like this.
  23. latheofheaven

I have Primus: The Desaturating Seven. It is DAMN GOOD! VERY Highly Recommended! :righton:

Kyhl, aoxomoxoa and Greenalishi like this.
  24. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident