Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Wow! I've not heard these guys before, but this just came up showing as 'suggested' from my other vinyl order. It's pretty intense, but at least in the first two songs I feel well constructed. The videos are pretty creative, so I shagged it! :eek:

Gojira - Fortitude $15.19 PRIME
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WQVXNXV

I see you can also get LTD Edition coloured vinyl for a little more on Discogs. I'm ASSuming that the one on Amazon is the regular black vinyl:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

All of the vinyl I've ordered from Amazon of late has been in a record mailer tucked inside a larger box with airbags. I received a Peter Murphy album yesterday which was loose inside the larger box with airbags. Traveled just fine but I was surprised that it didn't get the plastic baggie treatment!

latheofheaven and black sheriff like this.
  3. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

My niece actually turned me on to them. :laugh:

latheofheaven and SJP like this.
  4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Got my King Kong size of triple boxes of Garth Brooks vinyl and CDs today. Unreal. I didn’t think I’d actually get them. It’ll be fun to listen to them though I really don’t know if I’ll notice a difference in sound between the three sets.

5. Heavy J

Heavy J Well-Known Member

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L91V9FG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sports a nice $5.05 coupon which if you have an Amazon Visa with 5% rewards back, you'll come within a hair of half-price, depending of course on your state's sales tax rate.
    Here it's 9.25%-9.75% and I came within $.57 of half off.

A sure sign Barnes & Noble's 50% off Criterions sale begins Friday.

Over at Blu-ray.com, they're arguing over which "evil empire" seller is worse.

I go with the one that will be delivering my Dylan / Scorsese BD tomorrow for "free."

7. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I received 1 of 2 ordered, but both orders still say preparing to ship, arrival date is the 9th for both orders, and I haven’t been charged for either. Didn’t receive any ship notice or out for delivery or anything. When the doorman called I thought it was a record I’m expecting tomorrow- but it was huge! Total surprise.

latheofheaven likes this.
  8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Same. It says preparing to ship but also expected delivery date by June 30.

latheofheaven and groovelocked like this.
  9. Michael Ries

Michael Ries Forum Resident

I’m sure I’m not the only one in this thread who has opened up their Garth box and said “what have I done?” I just couldn’t pass up the novelty of this deal, three box sets of 7LP’s and 7CD’s in each set for such a crazy low price.

I’m asking lots of other questions like:
    - do I even like Garth Brooks?
    - do I know anyone who likes Garth Brooks that I can gift a set to?
    - will my local ship turn these away after many people try dumping the digitally remixed set off with a stack of trade-in records?
    - what if I end up really liking it and become an overnight Garth completist and end up keeping all 3 sets?

For now they sit in the box as I ponder all this.

scottabs, omom, latheofheaven and 8 others like this.
  10. Man, I had no idea Garth Brooks was such a polarizing figure. I grew up liking Garth. I think his debut album in particular features some strong songwriting and is well performed. I’m not a fanatic in any way, but I’m surprised so many hate him with such passion.

11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I don’t hate him at all. I just don’t want a gigantic boxset of his music when I’m running out of shelf space (actually I already ran out and need another shelf) as is. Even if they were giving it away for pennies.

Kevin j, JasonA, Davidmk5 and 3 others like this.
  12. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I like Garth but don’t know a lot of his music- I’m glad I got this and I got a second in case the first was damaged at all so I would have 2 boxes to pick from, assuming Amazon would only refund and not be able to send a replacement.

when a Muse record recently showed up in a polybag bent-up beyond reason, I had to take it to a UPS store to return and they could not send a replacement, only refund, even though it was still in stock. They said I’d have to reorder it. So I ordered it from uDiscover where I knew it’d come in a whiplash box.

if I get two good Garth sets, (haven’t opened the first arrival yet), I’ll just sit on it awhile until I find someone that wants it. I suppose I could return one too..

I wish he’d do a second set- I loved Sevens.

latheofheaven and Davidmk5 like this.
  13. latheofheaven

... and this coming from a man who is working just short of a full shelf... (I know, I know... just take a minute and think about it)

14. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

I mean, these sets are very well done- the box is a quality, tip on slipcase. The vinyl are well mastered, in lined inner sleeves. If you like country music at all, these are some of the best of the decade. I could list all of the singles but Garth recorded probably 5 of the greatest country songs of all time in this run, and close to a dozen other certifiable hits. There isn't any shame in owning this, it's just an insane deal.

15. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Isn't Garth Brooks type of country kind of like the Hair Metal of rock...or perhaps the Kenny G of jazz? I am far from an expert on modern country radio pop, but think i remember highly respected country artists, such as Lucinda Williams, speaking negatively about the country pop, like garth, that dominates Nashville and country radio.

Regarding "Garth recorded probably 5 of the greatest country songs of all time in this run"....is this really true looking at the all time history of country music? ....i only see 2 on this list: Acclaimed Music

Bottom line, the garth box was a GREAT deal. I might of grabbed one myself, but for my space issues, because the price was so good. But Garth, and country pop in general, is kind of a punching bag for would be music snobs...kind of like hair metal and smooth jazz. And its fair game as far as i am concerned. There should be zero shame in embracing it. (i listen to all kinds of weird **** most people would hate)...but if you do you should not be offended when people joke about it. One man's opinion.

Davidmk5, JasonA, SJP and 1 other person like this.
  16. I’m not a huge country fan myself, but I do know a lot of big time country fans personally and none look at Garth in a light that is the least bit comparable to Kenny G in the eyes of jazz fans or hair metal to metal fans.

GentleSenator and Bloom like this.
  17. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Garth basically ushered in the era of VERY mainstream, stadium selling out brand of country. Garth had a marketing degree before he got into music, and used it to his advantage. Musically, I'd say he is in the same vein as George Strait, Alan Jackson, Clint Black. 90's country is it's own thing, and I don't think it approaches the genre nadirs of 70's Rhinestone that Willie and Waylon rebelled against, or the current "Bro beer country/hick hop" that the Isbells and Sturgills are rebelling against.

As far as the top 5 comment- it's probably not in everyone's official All Time top 5 but when I'm in the country mood, I will take "Friends in Low Places", "Callin' Baton Rouge", "Ain't Going Down Till The Sun Comes Up", "American Honky Tonk Bar Association", "The Thunder Rolls" up there with pretty much all the best ones.

18. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of country music from that time period but I was in high school around then and helped DJ some dances, and that stuff was immensely popular.

19. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

You guys are way overthinking the Garth deal.

I'm just happy that it came in a cardboard box. :laugh:

:cheers:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Let me get this straight … some buy a specific release not because they like the music but only because it’s a good deal?
    Really? Wow.

21. Yeah, Amazon (not a 3rd party) is now asking $135.08 for the three-box edition. Those who got it did alright ;)

22. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Welcome to 90% of the stuff I buy at thrift stores and garage sales, lol.

23. DapperGentleman

DapperGentleman Forum Resident

I always buy several copies of really great deals when I can. We are approached several times a year to donate to local charity auctions - I donate these things and everyone 'wins'.

Matt I, superstar19, dcarwin and 7 others like this.
  24. latheofheaven

@jason202

I'm not able to comment on the DD thread, so I wanted to post a sincere 'Thank You' here for your excellent post there concerning all the 12" singles available for Slowdive! :tiphat:

[​IMG]

25. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

No problem! I was thrilled to see these selling for so little. I've wanted them for a long time but the prices they were going for previously were ridiculous.

latheofheaven likes this.