Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

:laugh:

latheofheaven likes this.
  3. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

[​IMG]

Any more 'cracks' like that and I swear...

4. Thinking it was old stock that I received (a Rainbo pressing) ; After @Buggyhair 's post, I looked at the back of the LP I received. Sure enough, it had the "Made in Canada" ink - stretched on the back. I initially missed that. So ... I decided not to return it. So, I thank you, @Buggyhair for the heads-up / confirmation.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

6. Armenian

Armenian Forum Resident

^ That looks like it's actually abbey road or something, not Mofi. The Mofi is around $59.

latheofheaven and Kyhl like this.
  7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

FlexFantastic, latheofheaven and mur like this.
  8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

did you listen to it?

9. No, Kevin. That's why I didn't respond to your earlier post. I have yet to set up a turntable to my little system. Got hundreds of LPs from close to 50 years of collecting and a couple of TTs.

After multiple moves - I'm lazy, I guess. More into CDs and have been for a while (they're convenient and I am happy with that setup).

I've been sporadically buying LPs (and 5.1 capable CD sets) in the last decade or so for when I get off my duff and make the system complete. It's more about the investment (at good prices) pointing for the future.

latheofheaven and Kevin j like this.
  10. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

FWIW, while there initially did seem to be a higher defect rate on Rainbo pressings, I think they sorted it out after awhile. My entire Rainbo pressed set was perfect, zero defects. And it sounds really great.

Some of the later non-Rainbo pressings of Beatles titles in some cases seemed more laid back/less dynamic. Granted, they weren’t the exact same masterings. But the same mastering pressed at different places can sound different, such as when they had both QRP and Optimal press the White Album and people reported hearing differences.

But the point being, and I’m speaking to others reading not necessarily to you in this case: if you buy from a place like Amazon that allows for hassle free returns for defective items, and you receive an item like a Rainbo pressing, it doesn’t hurt to open it and play it and see how it sounds. If defective, return it. If not, consider keeping it. If you’re able to compare it with a friend’s Canada or Europe version, even better as you can find out if they sound different and if so, which sounds the best.

For you, without a turntable working in your system, I get it though. But if you’ve been accumulating records and not playing them to check for defects, you may have a few unpleasant surprises when you finally do play them.

11. Oh yeah, I understand that I've been rolling the dice many times hoping for the best. Any defects will be discovered at a later date -- due to my negligence / laziness, without any recourse. That's why I only purchase new LPs (at a good price) sporadically. :winkgrin:

Edit : MMT was my first Beatles LP back in 1973 or so. It has a certain sentimental value for me.

latheofheaven and captouch like this.
  12. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

INTERVENTION TIME!!! :eek:

greasepaint, LaBowe, imarcq and 3 others like this.
  13. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Same here. I've been buying new vinyl for the past few years without a system to play them through. I have all of the pieces now and will buy the turntable this month or next. I've opened all of my new LPs as they've arrived and looked for obvious defects, but there are no guarantees. I just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best.

14. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Interesting. I started buying new (and old but still sealed) Beatles LPs about 15 years ago but only recently finished assembling a vintage system on which to play them. No unpleasant surprises so far. My stereo Beatles box is a European pressing, so all the LPs from that look and sound perfect — as does the mono set, of course. But I still have a hundred or so other discs to get to!

15. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Sorry to keep straying off-topic.
    One of the things I most look forward to is shoot-outs among my various vintage and newer pressings and mono vs. stereo. I want to judge for myself whether the versions people prefer will actually sit the same in my ears.
    Back to deals...

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

17. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident

$55 at discogs .....I am gonna hold out till hits $40

18. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  19. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

FlexFantastic, SJP and latheofheaven like this.
  20. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I have that one (bought during a previous deal like this), but sure wish the two previous vinyl boxes (Vol 1 & 2) would show up on sale at some point too. I like Box 3 enough to want the other two, but not at the prices they're going for ($200 plus for Vol 1, more than that for Vol 1).

GentleSenator and latheofheaven like this.
  21. live evil

live evil Senior Member

Thanks. I ordered the Wilco Summerteeth box, even though it said usually ships in 6-8 weeks. It arrived today.

Matt I, hutlock, George Blair and 2 others like this.
  22. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Summerteeth set seems a steal. Snagged!

hutlock and latheofheaven like this.
  23. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

24. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Disagree wholeheartedly. Box is worth this low price of admission for the Yeah! discs alone and there is still a lot to like in the other albums.

Leugi, Matt I, bru87tr and 2 others like this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'm still pissed at Jeff Tweedy