Good Deals on BestBuy.com

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by GentleSenator, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

My backordered $1.99 Valleys of Neptune arrived and I am JAZZED! I have been very critical of new vinyl releases, but this one sounds delicious.
    JQ

2. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Got Neptuned!

3. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

My copy of Valleys Of Neptune is on its way to me as well.

4. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Mine came yesterday, have yet to open.
    Was not aware that it was a double disc - twice the bargain, eh? :)

5. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

The last LP I ordered from BB finally arrived on Tuesday. BB had originally sent notice that the record (Coltrane) was 'Backordered' but let me know this weekend that it had shipped. I'll open it today and see if there are any problems so BB can replace it before they are out of stock (or out of business... :sigh:)

6. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Coltrane arrived today. The lp has a major warp that plays through. The vinyl surface is marred with all sorts of filmy residue and micro scratches. But.....damned if it doesn't sound superb! For five bones, I'll let this slide and enjoy it.

7. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Mine arrive this week too. Also warped but playable.

8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

My second Trane LP just arrived - it's almost identical to the first (in a bad way). Same warping, and I believe the same crackling in the same spots. It's very distracting - keep in mind that I'm listening on headphones, so it's very revealing to me.

And this time I even have a different TT and cart to test it on, but same results. I know it was only 5 bucks, but if I never play Side 1 it's pointless to keep it. :( Oh well.

9. stinsojd

stinsojd Senior Member

Which titles were these Coltrane LPs? Which label did them? I've bought the recent Rhino reissues and I had great luck with those. I've also had good luck with the cheap OJC reissues. Are you guys buying either the Blue Note or Impulse titles? I've been eyeing some of those lately (and not at the Best Buy prices!) and you guys are scaring me off... Still, this is how we all find out what to buy and what to steer clear from. I'm enjoying this thread... I missed out on everything but the Zeppelin "Song Remains the Same" box. Mine arrived in stone perfect shape.

Jamie

10. Thurenity

"Coltrane" (Impulse re-issue): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Coltran...d=9068475&st=coltrane vinyl impulse&lp=1&cp=1

Looks like a mid-1990's re-issue. I needle dropped both my copies and did a quick compare -- very similar crackling, in the same spots. Tried three different carts and two different TT's, with the exact same results. Spek results, btw, seem to indicate that it's a 44khz digital source.

All in all, not very happy with the vinyl SQ although the cosmetics are nice. My first copy is already in flight back and I plan to return this copy as well and get a refund (unless someone wants it for 5 clams + shipping, but I can't see why anyone would. The crackling is very distracting at times). :(

11. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Those mid-90's Impulse reissues were kinda stinky...

12. fini

fini Forum Resident

I still have a few things "in process" with Best Buy which are shown as backordered. I'm planning on just letting 'em ride. Maybe they'll eventually ship (but probably get canceled...or go down with the ship).

13. SirAngus

SirAngus Forum Resident

I received Hendrix "In the West" vinyl for $9.99 free shipping Friday from BestBuy.

14. Thurenity

Btw, I learned about this care of another post: Look under the LP in bright light -- if you see a faint ring of "stitching", that's a fill issue and could impact playback. I just checked my Coltrane vinyl and sure enough I can see this pattern in several places. My replacement is going back btw, I'm just going to get a refund at this point.

15. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if Thread Starter

Thurenity likes this.
  16. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Thanks for posting this. I like that MIA album. Does anyone know if this version of Lust For Life is any good?

Joe

17. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Joe, I think both of the Iggy Pop's are from 4 Men With Beards.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Stay far far away.

19. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

These 'deals' may be OK, but not nearly as good as the last go round in May.

We need another one of those!

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Can I get an amen?

AMEN!!

21. Thurenity

I keep hoping.

Had some great luck in the fall, in-store, when they dropped all their vinyl and a few boxed sets to 99 cents. But that stock is long gone now. After last spring's on-line sell-off, I'm surprised they still sell any vinyl on-line.

22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The vinyl now is mostly drop shipped from big distributors (e.g. SuperD, you know their retail arm as ImportCDs). BestBuy doesn't have much vinyl in their own warehouses.

23. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Amen Brother! I spent a Kings ransom back in May and had to go buy a new Ikea to store all that stuff.....wow,great deals.:righton:

24. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

And thanks GentleSenator for the heads up....I just bought the Amy Winehouse!:D

25. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Thanks Jim

:cheers:

jmgaffney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.