Good full upgrade for $1000 (DAC, headphones, turntable, US)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Eleventh Earl of Mar, Dec 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far. Thread Starter

Speakers are out of the question due to where I live however I feel like my current setup, while nice enough could get a decent upgrade without paying a stupid amount. Rough idea of spending

Current is

Audio Technica LP 60
    Fiio E10K DAC
    Sony MDR-7506

Looking for

Audio Technica LP 120 (let me know if there's a USB based turntable comparable for it's price) $200-$250
    ? DAC $200-500
    ? headphones $250-500

From what I look at, DAC prices can be bonkers and most good headphones seem to end at $250 and then only become an upgrade around 1k+, so I need an idea there. This setup would be for playing LPs and digital files on my main computer. The DAC absolutely has to be USB or otherwise slotted into a PC - so a dedicated card is fine too. The turntable doesn't need to be USB compliant, though for my setup it makes things much easier - I do have a dedicated amp from the 80s however it's been sitting for some time, I'd need to check it out again since I haven't used it after really buying records.

2. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

DAC Schiit Bifrost multibit $600 new
    headphones...AT msr7 closed cans $150 used or Grado SR-225 about the same $$ used
    I think your current DAC is holding your system back.

3. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I guessed as much. I'd be interested in other recommendations however, $600... damn.

4. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

How about the Massdrop CTH amp with built in dac for 320, and the Massdrop Sennheiser HD6XX cans for 200? This would be a gigantic upgrade, and still leave you just under 500 for a turntable.

I'd probably grab a U Turn with built in Pluto phono stage for your turntable. Under a G all in, and in my opinion this rig would completely trounce what you currently have.

Edit: if you need closed cans, I've really been enjoying my NAD HP50's, and would highly recommend them. You can get them for under 200 on Amazon. Good luck :edthumbs:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    TeflonScoundrel likes this.
  5. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

I think you need to find out if and what is lacking with your current setup first. Headphones probably be the first step, they do differ much. Turntable, it depends. It is usually expensive to find a good one but new stylus upgrade could be one option (depending on what you have; an AT95 does have many options to switch stylus).

6. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

You could get a Modi for $99. And a Magni headphone amp. Schiit is good.

Bill Why Man and Grateful Ed like this.
  7. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

Plenty of nice options from Massdrop and Schiit in your price range. How are you listening to records now? Turntable to computer to dac/amp? If so, then I'd add a phono preamp to your list.

8. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

I would get the AT LP120 and the Schiit Modi / Magni combo and then spend the rest on headphones.

You can get some great headphones for $500. Grado RS2 is a great option. You may also be able to find a planar magnetic headphone in that price range.

9. Grateful Ed

If you don’t need a USB based turntable, I’d get a U-Turn Orbit with built in Pluto preamp for $250.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  10. Grateful Ed

11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Just took another look at the CTH. It has USB in, and an analog in. You'd be golden with a turntable like the U Turn with the built in phono stage

Grateful Ed and souladdikt like this.
  12. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I'm conflicted with Modi/Magni or Massdrop - the latter is more expensive of course but anyone who's used both think one is better?

13. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

14. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The Massdrop amps are good. The Massdrop Cavalli CTH (Cavalli Tube Hybrid) is a nice amp with the Senn HD6xx. The only version of the CTH in stock is the version that combines the amp and a DAC in one box. That version is $320. The regular amp only version is $250 when available. So you're paying $70 additional to get a rather basic USB input only DAC. My preference is to have separate DACs. Separate DACs can be used with other gear and other amps and will often have more digital inputs (coax, optical, as well as USB).

Massdrop also has the Cavalli Liquid Carbon as an amp only for $300. But it's a balanced amp and sounds best (much better) with balanced headphones. So if you get it you would need to also buy balanced headphone cables for any headphones you plan to use with the amp. That's fine for headphone enthusiasts. Not so neat for regular headphone users. Balanced headphone cables are $100-$150 or more. And are a bit of a hassle to deal with and will limit some of your headphone choices since some headphones cannot be converted to balanced. I like the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, but it's not an amp I'd recommend for you unless you're willing to convert all of your headphones to balanced cables.

My preference would be to get either the standard Modi DAC ($99) and/or the Modi Multibit ($249). And then a separate amp.

Amp choices would be:
    Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Spark ($100)
    Schiit Magni ($99)
    Schiit Vali hybrid ($149)
    Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid ($250) amp only version

Headphone choice would be the Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx for $200. Assuming that you are OK with open headphones. The HD6xx is a tremendously good deal at $200 and a super good headphone that will serve your for years (I have a HD580 and an HD600 that are 20 years old and they still work great and still get used).

A HD6xx, Liquid Spark, and Modi and/or Modi Multibit DAC would be super fine setup for your needs and won't blow your budget. You can always add a better amp later in a few years. The Liquid Spark or Schiit Magni are good amps. Better than most (all?) $250 amps from a few years ago.

The Modi Multibit DAC is pretty much the same as the $600 Bifrost Multibit. The Bifrost version has a better power supply and a few other minor tweaks and differences. Nothing major. Nothing worth blowing your budget over. So if you want a Schiit multibit get the Modi version for $250 instead. I like the Schiit multibit sound. A lot. The Modi Multibt instead of the regular Modi would be an easy decision for me. But some people do prefer the standard DAC sound of the regular Modi. And the regular Modi is only $99. So it's good to have choices. You could actually get both and decide for yourself and stay within budget.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  15. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Close to pulling the trigger on this - everyone so far, responses have been great.

Two questions -

I'd prefer a closed headphone, but have the budget to go for the Sennheiser 6xx and a pair of closed headphones too. The idea of having two separate pairs is appealing. So what would be a good recommendation for that?
    And another thing - I listen to a lot of synth heavy or complete synth music, think Berlin School kind of stuff or even classical music, and I know there's no end all the be all speaker for all kinds of music. With that said, I need a pair that can sort of even out for your classic four piece and some dude making synth records.

Is there a preferred DAC if I'm trying to go for a specific sound, or is that more in the speaker itself?

16. Grateful Ed

Speakers and headphones will have a way, way larger impact on sound / tonality than a DAC.

With a $1,000 budget, I’d be spending as little as possible (while still getting something decent - around $100) on a DAC. JDS Labs OL DAC and Schiit Modi 3 are both good options and also have matching amps for an additional ~$100.

17. Eleventh Earl of Mar

I imagined as much, really.

However - I guess it's the last question, what's in this forum's opinion a good closed back headphone for $300 or less? It can be more if I decide to drop the two pair idea though it feels like I'd be missing out.

18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

not much to add, except if your budget is $1000, don't spend half of it or more on a DAC. Headphone taste vary SO much I'd be hesitant to recommend any. Your Sony's aren't bad at all - I would guess you are looking for something smoother, more balanced, more refined?

19. Grateful Ed

I’m not a big headphone guy, so I’m not going to throw out specific recommendations.

What I will say though, is that with your budget I would spend as much money as you can on a single pair of headphones. You’ll be able to get something much nicer opposed to having both an open and closed back headphone.

I’m sure there are plenty of threads here discussing closed back headphones in the ~$500 range.

souladdikt likes this.
  20. Grateful Ed

You may consider this as well:

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

$100 for a DAC/headphone amp combo and even has an analog input in the front, so you could plug your turntable into it. Would free up a little extra cash for better headphones.

21. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

I'd recommend you get HD6XX and then decide on closed headphones after you've spent some time with them. They are the reference headphone amongst enthusiasts (massdrop alone lists over 65,000 units sold) and, as such, every other headphone is/can be compared to them. If you know what you like or don't like about them, then your search for closed back headphones will become much, much easier.

22. Ham Sandwich

Are you after a closed headphone to keep outside noise from intruding on your listening, or to keep others nearby from hearing what you are playing? Or for some other reason?

Closed headphones are difficult to find that do good soundstage and depth. Good open headphones are able to do a more open sounding soundstage that fills in the center and has better imaging. Things that are desirable for classical music and other music that is recorded with that sort of soundstage and imaging. Closed headphones that sound like a cup over the right ear, a cup over the left ear, and nothing in between, and flat imaging (no depth) to go along with that are just not as fun to listen to if you pay attention to those things.

ZenMango likes this.
  23. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I find the NAD HP50 to have a surprisingly good soundstage for a closed can. They may even be wider than my HD650'S

24. Ham Sandwich

Wide is easy for headphones to do. What's more difficult is to do a coherent soundstage that goes from left-center-right evenly without a hole in the center. I'd rather have a narrower soundstage that is fully coherent like that than have a wide soundstage with a hole in the center. The Senns are less wide than some other headphones, but with a good amp the soundstage and imaging can be fully coherent and the center fully filled in and with depth. Few closed headphones can do that.

25. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I have to tell you man, the NADs are seriously impressive right out of my LG V30 phone. No gaps in soundstage. I'm even getting some depth.

I'm definitely not bashing the 650's, I own a pair and love them. I've been a Sennheiser fanboy since buying HD580's over 20 years ago. Have you heard the NADs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.