Good Indie Stores in East Bay (CA) Area

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ronbow, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi all

I'll be commuting to Pleasanton CA this week, and am wondering if anyone knows of any good stores in the East Bay that would be likely to have brand new (day-of) releases.

In particular, I'm looking for Byrds' "Mr Tambourine Man" Mono / SACD (MoFi) and David Grisman "Tone Poets' (Acoustic Disc), both of which are scheduled for release tomorrow (9/6).

Failing a good East Bay store, I could possibly make the trek into San Fran, if anyone can recommend there.

I know Amoeba is a great store, but do they get brand new indie releases?

(Alternately, what is the best place to order online for MTM (MoFi)?

Thanks

2. Rando

Rando Active Member

Dunno about SACD titles, but ... I like Rasputin Music, ever been there?

http://www.rasputinmusic.com/

I've found quite a few treasures in their used bins. Nice selection of used DVDs too.

Have fun!

3. BFrank

BFrank Forum Resident

Amoeba does get new releases, and should have stuff right away.
    There is one in Berkeley, you know - it's the original store.

4. glea

glea Forum Resident

Mod Lang, top of University, near Shattuck. Best record shop in the world...good friends too. They get most all my record money, and I live very far away.

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

You can try the Tower Records in Dublin, the next town over the freeway overpass.

I am sorry....I just purchased the single-layer stereo Sony SACD (in cardboard slipcase) of The Byrds' "Greatest Hits" from the Dublin Best Buy. :rolleyes: BTW, no more DVD-A at this particular Best Buy.

6. jmcinnis

jmcinnis Forum Resident

7. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member Thread Starter

I called both Mod Lang and Amoeba, before I found out that the release date for Mr Tambourine Man had been moved to Oct 4 (which Amazon had been displaying for a few weeks - I was just hoping they were mis-informed).

Good to know there's a Tower in Dublin, but do you think they'll be getting new SACD releases? (I wouldn't expect Best Buy to have them.)

Thanks all

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

They specialize in brand new indie releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.