Good movies with bad endings.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by metal134, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

The Quiet American (original version). Graham Greene was very upset that this mostly well directed film reversed his original ending and undid the powerful statement his novel made about the Vietnam conflict.

2. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

The Breakfast Club

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

never saw the first one, phew. Caine usually plays good guys, not so much here

4. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

Well, he did get Rene Russo, so the ending wasn't all bad.

5. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

The gave The Chocolate War a happy ending. The Chocolate War. WTF?

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ending ?

7. alexpop

I'll stick with Rear Window.

8. alexpop

That's a great film.
    Feel good ending.

9. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Um...no.

10. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Why not?

It was brilliant.

alexpop likes this.
  11. alexpop

East
    my favorite woody film.
    (Well there's a few).

12. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Awful? In what sense?

Quite frankly, I think it's a brilliant film. YMMV...

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Ya! Good movie though....

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

Yeah ..I rate it.
    The ending was a bit of a wt..but it was that type of odd ball film, expected.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  15. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I guess so. There are some funny moments, but to me, nothing happens in The Truman Show. The only good scene-which I don't remember getting into the movie-was when he is playing at the beach and wants to climb a dune and they won't let him (because all the filming equipment is behind the dune). And at the end, Truman just walks away. OK...but not really, it feels so bland.

16. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah, like my one dislike of Inglourious Basterds: Brad Pitt carving on the forehead of the crooked Nazi Colonel before releasing him. OK, ja, 'tis Quentin Tarantino perverseness, but no way those guys would do other than shoot the Colonel in the woods on some pretext. (Or maybe that's just me! :D)

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I think "Holy Grail" loses a lot of steam as it goes. The first half is very good but the movie starts to fade well before it actually ends...

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

IMO, the entire 3rd act is weak.

Back when I had "A Now" on laserdisc, the movie spread to three sides. The end of side 2 was the perfect conclusion for me. I don't remember the exact scene, but it finished the film before the Kurtz compound and gave me no reason to watch the rest!

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I watched Holy Grail last week for the first time in ages and, yeah, IMO though they have their funny moments the tales of Sir Galahad (Michael Palin at the castle with all the sex starved women) and Sir Lancelot (the King's son who doesn't want to get married but would rather...sing!) sorta kill the momentum; the film really doesn't get going again until they encounter Tim the Enchanter and the killer bunny:laugh: But, yeah- as much as I love Holy Grail arguably it would have worked better as an extended full episode sketch on the Flying Circus series. Certainly couldn't have been any worse than episode length "Bicycle Tour" episode for example...

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I loved this movie, until the final act ruined it. The tone and pacing were wonderful, as it slowly built itself up with care. Then it's like it suddenly became a bad 1973 made-for-tv movie and lost everything it had been working towards.

My theory is that the director died before finishing it, and his friend took over and filmed the last 15 minutes. :p

Tim S, unclefred and Nice Marmot like this.
  21. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

HERE COMES MR. JORDAN(1941), where "Joe Pendleton" ends up with no memory of his life in his old body.(an ending repeated in the remakes "Heaven Can Wait" and the Chris Rock one).

unclefred likes this.
  22. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

How about "The Blues Brothers"? I'm sure I've mentioned it in another thread, but the last 20 minutes of that movie doesn't really hold up all that well and is entirely unnecessary. It was cool when I was 12, but it's kinda dumb now. On top of that I have no problem with Jake and Ellwood ending up in the slammer, but why the rest of the band?

Ahab likes this.
  23. Ahab

Ahab Forum Resident

Couldn't disagree more.

Didn't like the change Kubrick made to The Shining.

24. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

That makes me think of Frankenheimers 'Seconds', 1966, starring Rock Hudson. Not a bad ending but a bit depressing.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Phenomenon with John Travolta. The ending was bad because I didn’t want it to happen:) I’m sure there’s more but that’s all I can think of.
    Loved that movie. I guess Powder was kinda the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.