Good Record Stores in Atlanta Area?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Ultimix, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultimix

Ultimix Forum Resident Thread Starter

I hear ya.. I have been and used to go to Fantasy Land way back when I lived in the area...I hear ya.. when I use to get my Crystal (meow) in the mail.. I used to couldnt wait!!!

2. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

N. Druid Hills Rd.

3. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Yes, I was at Low Yo-Yo just a couple weeks ago. They are only open on Fridays and Saturdays, from noon to 6PM I believe.

They are located just inside the perimeter, right of Peachtree Industrial, I think the name of the street is North Peachtree. They are in a little strip - there is a sign at the street that just says "RECORDS" with an arrow.

A very interesting place. (And about 20 times the size it was in Athens.)
    _George

4. djork

djork Forum Resident

What is thier selection like? if I remember the Athens location, it seemed to be an indie rock type of selection (which suits me fine.)

5. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

Low Yo Yo -- i did not know there was an atlanta store... news to me..

6. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Forum Resident

Last time I was there, parking was tight on Euclid. Best thing to do is to park in the old parking lot on Moreland (which Criminal still owns) and walk around the corner. Criminal will validate your parking for you.

A couple months ago, I read an article in Creative Loafing that the owner of Criminal was trying to convince the owner of Earwax Records, a good friend of his, to move into the old Criminal Records spot after Earwax had to vacate its spot near North and Spring. Unfortunately, the move for Earwax to a different spot proved to be kind of disastrous, and Earwax apparently has gone out of business--at least as a brick-and-mortar store. I see them selling stuff on Amazon and other websites from time to time.

I find it highly ironic that Atlanta has been viewed as a hip-hop Mecca during the past few years and the city just now lost its flagship store. Just sad...

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Criminal is my favorite store locally as they have a great selection and carry the Music Matters jazz titles and the managers there are super friendly and Eric is a great guy.

Ella Guru is well worth the additional three blocks or so of travel. He gets some interesting vinyl from time to time and the CD selection is terrific.

Low YoYo is friendly but the inventory does not turn fast enough. It can be good for jazz but it's very hit or miss for me. I would not waste time on the Book Nook or Wuxtry.

I think Earwax suffered from a really poor location with dicey parking. Hip-hop may not be enough of a market demand to support a business as well.

The best tour I can think of is to park near The Junkman's Daughter on Moreland, then hit Wax N Facts then Criminal then drive to either (or both) Full Moon on McLendon and Ella Guru.

That's the best vinyl tour of Atlanta in my opinion. :)

8. cherbette

cherbette Forum Resident

I too live in the Atlanta area and would like a good recommendation. I have been to Wax N Facts a lot and I like it quite a bit. I've also been to Fantasyland and places like Book Nook. Is Low Yo Yo Stuff a good place to check out? I have been meaning to go check out Sounds Good Too (used to be Sounds Good Disc Exchange by the Big Chicken). He always had a great selection of vinyl. Lots of rare vinyl in good condition. Fantasyland has a decent selection of 45's from the 60's and 70's etc...but most others don't seem to have much of a selection that I've been to. Certainly some of you have tested some of them out and can give some feedback.

9. dee

dee Senior Member

I'm visiting Atlanta this weekend as well. Are these stores, like Criminal, and Wax, a good place for finding cd's as well?? (Hey Ultimix!)

10. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yes.

11. dee

dee Senior Member

Thanks. :).

12. dee

dee Senior Member

Enjoyed browsing in Criminal, and I found some bargains I was looking for at Wax and Facts. Great recommnedations. :). Wish time and circumstances allowed me to visit the other stores as well.

13. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

I will be visiting Atlanta in February and staying in midtown Atlanta (Artmore is the hotel I am booked in) - can we have an update on the stores that are STILL open and what their recent locations are? Thanks everyone!

14. Vinylsoul 1965

and from what I understand Low Yo Yo moved BACK to Athens (just my luck!) ....anyone?

15. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

I'll be there in July and wouldnt mind an update either

16. Vinylsoul 1965

well shinedaddy, I really enjoyed Criminal but bought more stuff from Wax and Facts - wished I could have gotten to Feed Your Head music but I ran out of time. Looks like business will bring me back to Atlanta next year so I will be able to go then :)

17. shinedaddy

going tomorrow to Atlanta. gonna try to get to Criminal and Wax n FActs for vinyl. Any other up to date recommendations?

18. shinedaddy

ouch.....those 2 stores are pretty threadbare!! I think my shopping is done here....too bad!

19. Vinylsoul 1965

Did you get to feedyourhead? Chip Stylus runs that shop...hope you had a chance! (I will the next time I get to Atlanta)

20. shinedaddy

no

21. Metanoia113

Metanoia113 New Member

If you're after 78s/45s/classical/or pre 1970s rock or jazz ... Records Galore is worth a visit. It's east of Decatur a little ways.. just outside the big loop. The hours were weird, but I got a pretty hefty stack there. Fantasy Land in Buckhead has a pretty impressive selection and fair prices. Goner and Criminal did absolutely nothing for me.

22. shinedaddy

went to feed Your Head Today and he said he is closing in 15 days. Not enough sales to make enough money after overhead....to bad. I didnt buy anything but he is a nice guy for sure.

23. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Seconded! :righton:

24. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

any you guys from Atl remember Collectors World in Doraville? man,that place rocked in the 80s!! some guy named Steve ran it..he was very knowledgeable

25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Yeah, it was there until the mid-ninties. I got a lot of nice LP's and 45's there. Should have bought more. I've been here for going on 19 years. I'd say over half of my collection has been aquired in Atlanta. In the nineties the Atlanta Record Shows were awesome.
    There was a store called Eatmore, I became buddies with Craig the owner. Everytime he got a nice collection he'd give me a call. Man I miss thoses days.

Wax 'N' Facts can be good sometimes. They price their records low and have gotten some good collections in. The bottom line is with all the newbies into LP's it's just drying the crop out. Records Galore is great for super clean basics. It's very easy to go in there and walk out with a bag of records for $50-$60 bucks, just don't expect to score collectibles.

Feed Your Head was IMO a waste. Most of his stock was far from mint and unless your taste ran to Esquivel there wasn't a great selection. The owner Thom was a little too opinionated for my taste.

There is a fairly new store in Roswell, Ga (a suburb of Atlanta) Mojo Records, that has a decent select the owner is Rand a really nice guy. He get's in some nice items however his prices can be very high. He will negotiate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.