Good Stores in Sofia, Bulgaria?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by reverber, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reverber

reverber Senior Member Thread Starter

I kid you not.
    I am going to visit the in-laws and drink lots of rakiya. Are there any good music stores in Sofia? Are there any that sell vinyl?

Mnogo ti blagodarya,

Cody ("Kogu" for those of you in the audience that read Cyrillic)

2. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Tyrone Shoelaces may know :righton:

3. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Haven't been to Sofia in a while, but I guess you could still pick up lots of "semi-official" CD releases there;)

The city itself did not look very great when I was there - not very clean, and lots of dreary Soviet style buildings - not in the downtown area, but the downtown was not very clean either.

They should also have some good wine there, not anything fancy, but decent for the money.

4. reverber

I lived there for a year in 1991, so I am thinking things have probably changed a bit ;) I am hoping I can find some old Boris Christoff LPs, maybe some Dimov Quartet, and some Macedonian music. I have found plenty of CDs online, but...

The wine is good (in Melnik, it is GREAT), but give me the brandy/rakiya anyday! I am getting thirsty just writing about it.

Cody

5. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

One particular brandy that I remember is this:

[​IMG]

used to be able to get it here, too; not bad, and back then you could probably buy a case of the stuff for the cost of a bottle of Hennessy or Courvousier;)

The food is good too, if one enjoys a lot of spicy meats, that is:)

6. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

The best for CDs is Orange Center, 3rd floor. It's located on Graf Ignatiev 18, just before Slaveikov Square. It's mainly a bookstore, but the 3rd floor is CDs only. Don't expect anything rare, though. Mainly new CDs.

For LPs I have no clue, maibe you can try www.kupicd.com
    They offer 7'', 12'' Vinyl and LP in drum'n'bass, trance, techno, house, hardcore, breakbeat, hip-hop, rap, funk and etc. I guess you'll need help with the Bulgarian on the site, however..

7. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

8. reverber

Mnogo ti blagodarya!
    I can read Cyrillic, but my vocabulary is limited. The wife is not a very patient teacher ;).
    My Bulgarian *does* get a bit better, though after a sip or two of rakiya (nazdrave) ;).
    I found kupicd from a bulgarian audio forum and emailed them, but haven't heard back yet. What's funny is that I might end up finding more Balkanton pressings here in Kansas - I've found about a dozen in local thrift stores and Half-Price books - than in Bulgaria.

Ciao,
    Cody

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.