Good turntable for playing 78s?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bjlefebvre, Dec 29, 2021.

1. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

I bought the Rek-O-Kut Ultra Preamp from Esoteric Sound for $159.00 that has 6 different EQ curves selected by 2 switches. It does a good job, I just wish that the third switch was a mono/stereo selector instead of choosing between two turntable inputs.

Robert C likes this.
  2. drh

drh Talking Machine

You might find one of these useful:

[​IMG]
    Stereo to Mono RCA Switch - HANDMADE IN THE USA -RCA-1

I reviewed its strengths and weaknesses, with audio samples, here: [Review] Sweet Foot Pedals Outboard Stereo-Mono Switch

[Edit]Oh, and happy new year, everybody! :wave:

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Which is an excellent choice. Only drawback is cartridge mounts are harder to find for ELAC/Miracords. You also have the best model they built, the superb 50H (Papst Hysteresis-Synchronous motor)

4. Theres been no mention of a Lenco 75/78 yet,theres plenty of parts available new and second hand.

5. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  6. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Does anyone use the Rega Planar 78?

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

A new Technics. I use the SL-1200GR.

Aftermath likes this.
  8. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have no personal experience with it, but unless it's changed since I looked into it, it has no pitch adjustment. I'd think there would be better choices for the price unless the buyer intends to play only later 78s, the ones that reliably run at 78 RPM.

VinylSoul likes this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

I think I mentioned it somewhere along the line, but I don't remember where or when. I did, with a reservation or two, like it when I wrote the TNT review, and I've kept one in my system for the occasional CD that needs it (I've actually encountered one more since writing the review). Have you been happy with yours?

10. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Plenty reviewers think the pitchfader is a DJ feature and is useless for home use...

McLover and drh like this.
  11. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

If it’s music played on classical instruments and you know a few of the notes, you can also know pitch setting.
    As long as the instruments were properly tuned of course.
    Notes have a fixed frequency for their respective temperament.
    Modern music is basically always equal temperament, old music is often meantone temperament, but there are many other temperaments.

Oh yeah and you have to either measure it to see if it matches or have a natural sense of perfect pitch.

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

I hadn't thought about that, but I'd say you're right.

13. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident Thread Starter

The FRiNgE, drh and Oelewapper like this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Common if you live in Europe. Less so in the USA. One of the best choices for 78 RPM in terms of variable speed for pre-1932 78 RPM discs.

15. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

I picked up one of these at St Vincent thrift a few years ago and it's perfect for playing 78's,since that's all it does :)
    It has just one speaker,since it only needs one and when those tubes warm up it sounds very good.Of course this isn't just a turntable,but a record player and after all these years,still worked perfectly.
    the Silvertone 8150,sold from the late 40's to 1950.
    Silvertone 8150 Ch= 109.634 R-Player Sears, Roebuck & Co.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Here in the States they were sold not only under their own name but also rebadged as Bogen; I believe in England they were sold under the name Goldring. It used to be they were available for cheap; I've actually given away at least two, maybe three. Wish I'd kept 'em; in recent years, they've developed a cult following, and the prices they command have gone up sharply. The idler wheel contingent of the LP crowd likes to subject them to heavy modifications and claims that once so rebuilt they rival top-end modern turntables. There's actually an extensive website/discussion forum devoted to Lenco turntables: Lenco Heaven - Forum for The Classic Lenco Idler-Drive Turntables

In one of my articles linked earlier on, I discuss Lenco and what I perceive as its plusses and minuses. A denizen of the Lenco forum took issue with some of my minuses, leading to a supplemental article on the subject. Those interested in these turntables might find it of worth a look.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    The Green Elf likes this.
  17. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

After about 35 years in which it wasn't in service, I had my Dual 1219 tuned up c. 2009 or so for just that purpose, and re-attached the V-15 ii cart from the '70s with a 78 stylus; works OK, but my guess would be that multiple carts and styli (which I don't have) would give the best results.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  18. They was also sold as Leak.
    Can you point me in the direction of your article and the supplemental.

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Sure, here's the link again. The first article of the series is here: [TNT-Audio Vintage column] On an Overgrown Pathé - [English]

It lays out my general guidelines that form the basis of discussion in the others. The second article, which discusses Lenco and several other turntables, is here: [Review] 78 RPM turntables comparison test

The further elaboration about Lenco is here: [Review] 78 RPM turntables comparison test

Each article has a link to its predecessor and to the next (there are 3 or 4 more about other turntables), if you want to go further.

20. rfs

rfs Forum Resident

Yes it works fine. I was just carping about needing an extra box earlier ...

21. bjlefebvre

Not a question so much as a comment. Given that modern belt-drive turntables such as those made by VPI, Well Tempered and others use spindles where the user can adjust the belt to sit on different notches to play 33rpm or 45rpm records, I wonder why no one has made a spindle with a 78rpm notch. I know that would be too simplistic to handle the speed variances on the older 78 records, but it would be a neat (and assumed low cost) way for folks who just want to dabble. Probably due to physics or low demand or something, but I wonder if there's any third-party vendor out there looking at the idea.

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

That's basically how an idler drive turntable works--a stepped drive shaft with one diameter step for each speed. The puck moves up or down the shaft to engage the different steps. Three-speed idler drives have three steps to their shafts. Lenco turns the shaft 90 degrees to be oriented horizontally, with the puck running on the underside of the platter instead of the rim, and gives it a smooth taper to get an infinitely variable range of speeds.

lazydawg58 and bjlefebvre like this.
  23. bjlefebvre

Just circling back on this - I'm also looking at Technics SL-D# series now. They seem to be able to be had for under $200 and can be retrofitted with a simple switch and resistor to play 78s. I was leaning toward the SL-1200 series, but those have gotten pretty pricey, even though they are quite sexy beasts.

24. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Plus, I think Europe tuned to different concert pitches other than 440 back in the day.