Good used music stores in SW (Niles) Michigan?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Chippoh, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chippoh

Chippoh Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey gang, I'll be in Niles for a long weekend...I have some extra time and some extra cash.

I also have time to travel around the area...

Anybody here know of a few good stores to hit? :help:

Thanks!

2. Chippoh

Chippoh Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow!...Must not be much out this way.

I guess I can look at it two ways:

1) I won't be spending too much money :shake:

or

2) No one else has gone through the bins in this part of the world and I'll strike gold...

...wish me luck... :sigh:

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I think Niles may not be large enough to have any serious music shopping. Might have to hit a larger area like Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids. Usually, though, even these are not as good as going to a larger metropolitan area. With Western Michigan Univ. being in K-zoo, it might be a better bet. Even South Bend may have more...

4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I used to live in South Bend, Indiana, about 8 miles south of Niles, Michigan. There isn't a lot there.

That said, there's a place in the shopping center on W. Western Ave., about two miles east of the U.S. 31-Indiana 2 interchange (Indiana 2 becomes Western Ave. in South Bend) ... I want to say it's called Orbit Music, but I might be confusing it with something else. I remember it having a large selection of used LPs and probably used CDs, too. There are several stores in the chain in the South Bend-Mishawaka area. One of them, if it's still there, is maybe half a mile east of the University of Notre Dame campus on Indiana 23 (South Bend Ave.) between Edison and Ironwood. And there was another one in Mishawaka in the Town & Country Shopping Center, near the intersection of McKinley and Grape Roads I think. (The actual address is "Miracle Lane," but that's the name of the road that loops through the shopping center.)

South Bend and Mishawaka also have both Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift shops.

5. rmos

rmos Forum Resident

I used to hit the Goodwill-Salvation Army-St. Vincent DePaul stores in the South Bend IN-Niles, MI area a number of years ago (I'm not sure how years it's been) on a regular basis, and sometimes would fill up the back seat of my car with tons o' vinyl. However, I've stopped doing it since I had a falling out with a a-----e friend of mine, and now I also work on weekends and have no time to go looking.

There used to be a cool used store in Mishawaka, IN, Disc-Go-Round, that I used to visit too and always found something there. I think it's out of business, or it might have morphed into this place: Buyco, 3602 Grape Road Suite 3, Mishawaka, IN.

You might want to try the Orbit Music stores in South Bend. They sell used CDs and I think they still sell vinyl (as I said above, I haven't visited in a number of years), and also, as I recall, their prices were a little on the high side.

They have two stores now in South Bend: 4614 West Western Avenue and 1841 South Bend Avenue, and one in Mishawaka: 2568 Miracle Lane.

Good Luck!

6. Dob

Dob New Member

Isn't Notre Dame University in the South Bend area? There's usually good used music stores near a university.

7. tim_neely

Um, yeah... but this is a definite exception to the rule! :D Notre Dame is actually fairly isolated, both physically and psychologically, from South Bend, although not as much as it used to be.

8. Dob

Dob New Member

Psychologically? Makes me think of the uppity students and the local "cutters" in the movie Breaking Away. IIRC, that movie was set in Indiana, but in Bloomington, not South Bend.

9. tim_neely

Yes, there were some parallels. Except Notre Dame students used to refer to South Bend residents as "townies."

South Bend has never been a "college town" the way, say, East Lansing, Michigan or College Park, Maryland is. Until the 1960s, South Bend was the home of the Studebaker auto company, and when it closed, it was a huge psychological blow from which it took many years to recover. In the years since, South Bend and Notre Dame have grown closer as the ND campus has grown south and east toward the city limits (Notre Dame is not actually in South Bend, it's north of the city), but the cultural gap remains... Even today, for a certain part of the South Bend-area population, the only thing Notre Dame brings to the city is traffic headaches on home football Saturdays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.