Gordon Lightfoot- An Open Discussion.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, May 28, 2023.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

Gordon Lightfoot: An Open Discussion. Let's talk all Gordon Lightfoot; ANYTHING and EVERYTHING pertaining to the great man!

2. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I played Sundown at my gig today, everyone liked it. Beautiful simplicity

3. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I once had a colleague tell me "Gordon Lightfoot is the artist against which all others should be measured."

Hyperbole aside, Lightfoot was a great storyteller and a major musical talent.

I recall thoroughly enjoying his songs long before I had lived anywhere near enough life to even know what they were actually about. That appreciation only grew as I matured.

4. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think the amount of truly exellent songs that he wrote is one of the most amazing things about his career to me. Almost every album from the earliest ones well into the 80's are full of strong songs. Also he was blessed with a great voice.

5. Michael

well that's cool! nice choice for sure...

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Yes, one of those rare and consistent artists who have great moments from almost the beginning to the last. The 'Voice of Canada' for the '70s at least... or say, 1966-1978 anyway.

Early Morning Rain is considered his first major 'hit' composition, originally as recorded by Ian & Sylvia, and also Peter, Paul & Mary more than as by himself, and later Elvis did a great reading of it, but his recording of it is essential as well. It had that effortless and 'live' quality his best songs all have, like they just dripped out spontaneously feeling right in most every way, with that sparse yet strong framework of Lightfoot guitar accompanying.

Last edited: May 28, 2023
  7. Michael

I got a crash course! I met him at 17...

8. Michael

Gord's music on Reprise& United Artists IMO have no weak tracks!

bluerondo, McLover, bill44 and 11 others like this.
  9. Michael

Smart colleague! He had something there. ; )

Jarleboy and Fischman like this.
  10. Michael

Indeed! all of you Canadian Guys and Gals must be so PROUD of the great man...he is a treasure to so many.

Jarleboy, sjaca, jamesmaya and 4 others like this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You can’t imagine how much we revere our Gordon. He’s our treasure, all right.

Old Rusty, Siegmund, Jarleboy and 7 others like this.
  12. Michael

and rightly so...one special man.

Jarleboy and Chemguy like this.
  13. Ranzo

Ranzo Forum Resident

Hope it's okay to put this here. Found this on YouTube yesterday, and thought it was amazing; The Punch Brothers live version of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

14. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I'm a Yank, through and through, but Canadian Railroad Trilogy is one of the greatest songs ever.

15. Michael

yea sure! wow, nice...Thanks for posting.

Jarleboy and Ranzo like this.
  16. Michael

YES, both recordings!

Jarleboy, sjaca and Fischman like this.
  17. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Perhaps like many young Americans who were tuned into pop music in the late-60s, I had only a general awareness of Gordon Lightfoot as an artist until his breakthrough single in 1970 “If You Could Only Read My Mind.” But when that sweetly fingerpicked guitar intro came through the radio, you somehow knew it was only the beginning of a great song and that you needed to drop what you were doing and just listen. And Gord was a fine guitar player, as well.

Old Rusty, bluerondo, bill44 and 9 others like this.
  18. Uncrowned King

Uncrowned King Forum Resident

This is Depeche Mode covering Sundown in a TV special with BBC orchestra just before Gordon passing

19. Michael

well put! you nailed it...great great song that I had the fortune of hearing him play live in a round robin circle a foot away with Terry Clements on lead guitar...an amazing memory and experience! and I got to play his Martin D-28. After he played IYCRMM he put his D-28 over my shoulder and said; Your turn! what a rush that was...incredible. A kind wonderful man. I will never forget him or what he did...: )

20. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Although “The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald” is considered one of his best efforts (based on a true story), at the time of its release in 1976, I couldn’t stand it, as it seemed to just go “on and on.” I have a much better appreciation for it now.

21. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Wow!

22. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

I'm just curious as I really think the RIP thread really fits the entirety of the parameters of this thread. Not sure why you created another thread if all we would talk about there would basically do the same thing by doing it here too.

23. Bern

Bern JC4Me

There's at least three. The two studio...live for Sunday Concert and it's on the Reno DVD.

Jarleboy and Michael like this.
  24. Michael

yes I know, I was talking studio recordings...I neglected to specify... sorry about that....

Jarleboy and Bern like this.
  25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I've been an ardent fan ever since I was a kid in the mid-sixties, but I'll admit that even
    I under-estimated how brilliant a songwriter Gord was. Is `The Last Time I Saw Her' the
    most beautiful song ever written? Maybe not, but it's up there.