Gordon Lightfoot question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Jul 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

Are all the songs on the new Greatest Hits collection the original versions? I read he re-recorded many of his hits on earlier Greatest Hits collections.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

He has a thing for re-recording his UA material because he was never happy with them.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Complete Greatest Hits uses the originals. The re-recordings are on Gord's Gold. He has re-recorded lots of stuff on Gord's Gold Vol. 2

4. BradOlson

If you want the UA material on CD, there are these options on CD the Canadian boxed set with all UA albums in 1 set, the US United Artists Collection and the Acoustic Highway/EMI US version of Sunday Concert, the entire catalog on BGO, and also Bear Family also has the UA catalog available.

5. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

What's up with the Rhino Gordon Lightfoot box? The EQ seems odd to me, and not as good in some places as the old WB Gord's Gold mastered by Lee Herschberg. (I haven't had a chance to hear the DCC version, alas!)

Gardo

6. BradOlson

There is no DCC version yet. Steve is trying to license stuff as according to a poll on this site hosted by me, he is popular enough to merit gold disc release.

7. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member Thread Starter

I'd buy Sundown or a 24 KT hits.

8. Gardo

Hmmm--I figured there must be a DCC "Gord's Gold" given the icon below your name!

Gardo

9. BradOlson

That was taken from a thread devoted to faked DCC gold discs.

10. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Bradley has the only copy!! That lucky guy :goodie:

-Jeffrey

11. BradOlson

it's just a picture.

12. Jeffrey

Hi,

Isn't that what Bill Clinton said to Hillary??:winkgrin:

-Jeffrey

13. Gardo

I'm still curious about why the Rhino Lightfoot Box has the EQ it does--things sound a bit nasal to me, as if someone dialed in too much "presence."

14. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

15. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident

Is "Black Day in July" on any Gordon Lightfoot albums, cds, etc.?

16. BradOlson

Black Day In July is on the United Artists Collection 2 CD US released set, the Did She Mention My Name/Back Here on Earth twofers (it appeared on Did She Mention My Name originally if you choose the Bear Family twofer, you will get bonus tracks unlike the BGO twofer and the US and Canadian domestic sets), the Original Lightfoot Canadian boxed set.

17. BradOlson

www.lightfoot.ca has the definitive Gordon Lightfoot discography and does have track listings of every known Lightfoot release. It is an unofficial site (which all Lightfoot sites are), but Wayne Francis is a Gordon Lightfoot aficionado so his information is known as the truth and might just as well become the official site.

18. BradOlson

The Lightfoot UA collection I have is the US domestic set and I have a separate disc for Sunday Concert on EMI as well.

19. Jeffrey

Hi Bradley,

More great information!!

Thanks,
    Jeffrey

20. BradOlson

You're welcome. Now you know where to turn to if you want to know Lightfoot info and you don't see any of the people who know his catalog well here on the forum. alt.music.lightfoot does have lots of diehard fans you can chat with on usenet as well but the lightfoot.ca site is like a WWW encyclopedia on him with official news, biographical info, reviews and more to serve the collector and the general consumer of his music.

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks Bradley!
    Great site. I'm going to do some Gord exploring!
    Michael:)

22. BradOlson

There is a lot of Lightfoot product out there for sure. In the discography, he even has a section devoted to remixed singles/edits on 45 issues so really it is the definitive Lightfoot site out there.

23. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Agreed Gardo,
    On another thread, Grant and I agreed that Gord's Gold sounds better than the new Rhino single disc. The new one is harsher with boosted treble. GG sounds more engaging. I found this out after I bought it!:(

24. BradOlson

Lee Herschberg also mastered the vinyl issues of the Reprise albums. He is retired now though.

25. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Just call me old-fashioned but I don't much like the rerecording's on Gord's Gold I & II. The way I understand it the real reason for the rerecordings is that Warner's did not own the rights to the UA songs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.