Gordon Lightfoot R.I.P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, May 1, 2023.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, although reading his obit reminds me that he went through a lot of obscure stuff before the first album, and wasn't sharing it all with the world on TikTok or YouTube as someone now usually would.

StingRay5 likes this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Gord always liked Funny Hat Day at work.

[​IMG]

gregorya, Sean, oboogie and 2 others like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

4. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It looks like this one is presently available to stream on Prime, as well as a few of the free streaming services such as Tubi, Pluto TV, and several others. But for how long, who knows.

ARK and Stone Turntable like this.
  5. Bern

Bern JC4Me

They were different. I was 11 when I remember hearing If You Could Read My Mind on a small Panasonic AM radio. (CKLW out of Windsor) I can relate to what @snepts said....it was mesmerizing. The song still is all these years later. A perfect example of a great lyric, recording, mix, performance. You can feel the heartache in the song.

Bern

ARK, gregorya, keyXVII and 2 others like this.
  6. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

One of his best albums! Fantastic!

Chemically altered and carlwm like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

8. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Yes most artists start out playing locally and whatnot. Gordon first played at Massey Hall at the age of 12. His first album appearance came in 1962, where he and his partner played covers and folk standards . His first solo recordings from around the time were unreleased for decades but his first commercial album came only 4 years later.

Gordon was “paying his dues” leading up to then, playing in cafes in Greenwich Village and crafting the tunes that would end up being on his first albums. I don’t think anybody was ever an instant success in the 60s folk scene. Not even Dylan.

ARK, Chemically altered and carlwm like this.
  9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Honorary music degree?

Revolver likes this.
  10. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Yes, that is very moving. Especially now. Thanks for finding that and posting it.

11. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

It is available on Prime. You can watch it, if you have Prime, free. I will end up buying it so I can stream it always.

Revolver likes this.
  12. flyingdutchman

Wondering if others have some of his early UA vinyl. Is the mono better than the stereo releases?

Revolver likes this.
  13. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

For the first time since the legendary laker went down off Whitefish point in Lake Superior, near Sault Ste. Marie, on Nov. 10, 1975, the bells of the Mariners’ Church of Detroit rang 30 times to commemorate that tragic day. The first 29 were for the ship’s crew. The 30th was for Lightfoot, who died Monday at the age of 84.

In journalism circles, the number 30 symbolizes the end of written copy. While the 30 here may be a coincidence, sometimes coincidences are poignant. This was a fitting and appropriate tribute to the legendary singer and songwriter, whose song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald immortalized those sailors forever.

Bell tolls for Lightfoot, as crew of Edmund Fitzgerald honoured | Toronto Sun

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Jasmine has reissued on 1 CD-R quite a bit of his pre-fame material.

Revolver likes this.
  15. BradOlson

16. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I haven’t directly compared the mono and stereo of Lightfoot! yet. I listened to the mono yesterday and it sounded really excellent. Upfront vocals and guitar, very clear. I’ll try and do a comparison in the next day or two and will see if the mono is better. I don’t recall any issues with any stereo mixes of Gord’s material though so I’m pretty sure they were well done too.

17. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Thank you, Brad.

Interesting quote from the release page:

“Indeed, when a compilation LP titled Early Lightfoot - comprising his first solo recordings, from a pair of Spring 1962 Nashville sessions - appeared in 1971, he is rumoured to have bought up all known copies and destroyed them.”

So he actually bought all the copies and destroyed them because he wasn’t happy for whatever reason. The man was a heavy perfectionist with his songs. There are some surviving copies out there but not too many! I rarely come across this in Canada but there are copies online but I’ve only seen it for sale in person once but the listing disappeared before I could grab it.

18. BradOlson

In fact, all of the tracks from this now rare LP compilation is on this CD in original mono while the rare LP is rechanneled.

Revolver and skisdlimit like this.
  19. Chad75

Chad75 Forum Resident

RIP. Thanks for the music.

20. Foreign Object

Foreign Object Forum Resident

Not on Prime on Amazon.ca unfortunately, how ironic.:cry:

Amnion likes this.
  21. blewmaearsout

blewmaearsout Forum Resident

Watch it for free on gem.cbc.ca

Amnion, eelkiller and Foreign Object like this.
  22. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

All I will say is that in the USA, Gordon's early mono LPs are fairly uncommon, as his records (even the early LPs) did not start to really sell well in the USA until after the labels stopped shipping mono.

24. Bern

Bern JC4Me

After reading this, I'm glad I left him alone the one time I had the opportunity to say something. It was in Orillia in 1999 and my wife and I were walking down the block prior to the evening dedication/concert and Gordon was unloading his gear from a vehicle. I thought about asking him if he wanted some help, but he had a concerned look on his face. So I let him be.

Progatron likes this.
  25. flyingdutchman

Well, here I go on a Gordon Lightfoot vinyl buying binge.

thxphotog and DangerousKitchen like this.