Gordon Lightfoot: where does he rank to you among the greats?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Feat77, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Feat77

Feat77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

To me I’d put him at the very top of the list. The intricacy of his playing, his lyrics, and the diversity of his voice make him an astounding artist. One of the few artists that cynics like Dylan went out of his way to call one of the greatest songwriters of all time! And he finally has a new album coming out

2. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

He's one of the great singer/songwriters of the 60s & 70s. I don't know any material after that. I'm not much of an easy listening / soft rock fan so I listen to Gord's Gold once in a while. I also love Tony Rice's recordings of Lightfoot tunes.

TonyG, imthetxman, Gramps Tom and 3 others like this.
  3. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I've never gotten around to plunging into his discography, so "no decision" yet.

The handful of tunes I'm familiar with I like fairly well, and I'll get around to his discography eventually (even though I've put it off for 40-something years now--I've also been more focused recently on finally getting to discographies I put off for a long time).

Ted Mooney likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Gordon Lightfoot is excellent.
    I have only ever had Gord's Gold, but there isn't a bad song on it.
    I am not sure I would be one to get all his albums or anything, he sits on the cusp of my personal preferences, but he undoubtedly wrote some fantastic songs.

Canadian Railroad Trilogy
    Early Morning Rain
    Sundown
    Carefree Highway
    are up with anyone else, in terms of songwriting

5. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Top of the list for me.

Amazing body of work.

After his record sales declined, he continued to turn out exceptional material. Certainly not as prolific as his peers, however I will take quality over quantity any day.

6. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

For what he does, he's as good as it gets. Fine lyricist, excellent picker, great voice, solid delivery. Not much to complain about there.

7. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

He's written a couple of my favorite songs "Early Morninh Rain, Rainy Day People", but i don't consider him among the very best songwriters.

Beater likes this.
  8. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

9. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

Phenomenal talent. Unrivaled emotional depth to his songs and has never made a bad album. Possibly the best of them all!

10. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Yup! Fantastic collection. This stuff really takes me back to my childhood. I remember listening to a 45 of Sundown with my cousins in the summer of '74. Love that funky bass line and great vocal melody and multi tracked chorus.

mark winstanley likes this.
  11. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

12. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Forum Resident

Yes Tony Rice did some fantastic covers of Gord's songs. Lightfoot's songs were a natural fit for Rice's voice.

13. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Gordon Lightfoot is so unique, it's hard to define him as Folk,Soft Rock,Singer-Songwriter,etc.. He is Gordon Lightfoot and we are the better for having heard him.

14. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I think Gordon Lightfoot deserves recognition in the upper echelon of songwriters of my generation. He produced high quality material in a prolific manner over many years. He has taken his craft seriously.

keyXVII, blueslover99, johnod and 6 others like this.
  15. tillywilly17

tillywilly17 Forum Resident

His first 4 albums are my favorites
    Many of the songs were re-recorded when he signed with Warner-Reprise and were on Gord's Gold

I had to hear the originals and I wasn't sorry

16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Love Gordon.

We have to, you know.

stewedandkeefed, Bern, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  17. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble Forum Resident

Shadows may well be the most underrated album in Gordon's canon.

Either way, Gordon is to Canada what Gerry Rafferty is to Scotland - an underappreciated treasure.

18. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Not sure if it's quite accurate to refer to Dylan as a cynic. It is important though that he wasn't exactly free with compliments. He had very good things to say about Gord!

19. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

They were road warriors together at times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

I love his work. He is easy to dismiss because all he writes sounds so pleasant. And that´s a crime, it seems. :edthumbs: Well, I certainly think he has more than his share of classics.

21. tillywilly17

In the early morning rain......

Bob put his money and mouth where his mouth was.. he covered his song

Gordon is a folk legend in Canada

He was more than that - poet, songwriter (music & lyrics) and international star

22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Gordon is the definition of a living legend. And -- for some of us -- home town hero.

When you listen to his interviews, he is such a humble guy. He continues to play for no reason other than he enjoys it. He doesn't play for the money (he lives in one of the wealthiest parts of town), he doesn't play for his legacy (that is rock-solid), he doesn't play to reassure his ego (no town or venue is too small -- he really will play anywhere), and he plays with no misconception that his voice etc. was what it once was.

Nope -- he plays because he wants to -- it is who he is and what he knows how to do. Long may he run.

23. tillywilly17

I just remembered this from when I was 22. I sent my very good friend a card with the words of "Song For A Winter's Night". I went back home to visit that Christmas, expecting only to be friends with her again. I don't know if that beautiful song (poem in this case) was the reason, but I was so happy that I hadn't given up on her.

keyXVII, CCrider92, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  24. bosie

bosie Forum Resident

Ranks very high on my list

keyXVII and carlwm like this.
  25. lightfootfan

lightfootfan Forum Resident

For me he was, is and always will be The Man. His new album 'SOLO' comes out in March..recorded from around 2000, recently found, polished and mastered this year.. Gordon and his guitar.. 10 tunes - one recently written for his wife Kim.
    He's out on tour with his band - lightfoot.ca has info.
    And also a review with more about the songs not he album - Solo Album Review - and there's a video for one of the tunes!

and audio of another - Gordon Lightfoot - Oh So Sweet (Official Audio)
    www.corfid.com has many posts about what's going on-Documentary, contests, new album, tour videos, setlist etc.

ENJOY!